iPod update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the "in-store" even at the end of the month, what are the chances that we'll get larger hard drives on the iPod? Probably slim to none, I would guess, given that we got the 20 and 40 giggers in September, but shouldn't we see something along the lines of 50 or 60 gigs here soon, maybe in January?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by tloakley

With the "in-store" even at the end of the month, what are the chances that we'll get larger hard drives on the iPod? Probably slim to none, I would guess, given that we got the 20 and 40 giggers in September, but shouldn't we see something along the lines of 50 or 60 gigs here soon, maybe in January?

I think we won't see an update till at least january. Between then and now I could see a price drop happening for the holiday season to compete a little better with the new HD mp3 devices from eveyrone else.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. And I know that Toshiba hasn't introduced a 1.8" drive that's above 40gb, but I was kind of hoping to see something in the realm of 60gb in the iPod by the winter. That, better battery life and maybe some different features. I don't care too much about games and whatnot, but maybe some better audio stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    God no! I'm sure you could fill that but you have to consider most people don't have that much music and don't know you can use it as a hard drive. That people that do have that much are savvy and know they can use utilities to rip music off the iPod and so keep a rotating amount of music that exceeds the iPod capacity. They NEED a $99 iPod. They never should have stopped making the 5 gig. However I am guessing Toshiba doesn't make that mechanism anymore and it wouldn't be much cheaper than a 10. Still, when they upgrade the iPod with storage inevitably, they should KEEP the bottom end and drop the price. To most people it's still just a walkman.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Oh, I agree with you there, I think they definitely need to have a 5gb or so iPod in the $100 range to be able to compete on a larger scale with some of the other "cheaper" players. However, for my own personal use, I'd like to see a 60gb.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    I'm buying the 20 gb as soon as they are updated again. I don't need 60gb, not too many people do. I would love to see a price drop, but I'm not complaining. The iPod rules, it mops the floor with that dell thing and the napster player. Rock on Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026 The iPod rules, it mops the floor with that dell thing and the napster player. Rock on Apple. [/B]

Agreed. Out of all the ones I've messed around with, it's the best. My music collection is now at 55gb. Yeah, I know, big, right? I don't HAVE to have it all with me, and plus I'd like to encode maybe at a higher bitrate.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by tloakley

Agreed. Out of all the ones I've messed around with, it's the best. My music collection is now at 55gb. Yeah, I know, big, right? I don't HAVE to have it all with me, and plus I'd like to encode maybe at a higher bitrate.

You would have to have a pretty huge music collection. Would you be willing to state how much of it is legal? You really don't have to -- better to take the Fifth anyway.

I don't think there's an updating coming that quickly. I mean, it would be great if it worked out so that Apple could get higher capacities out again so quickly. I just think it's a little too soon. I wonder what the inventory situation looks like, though. . .
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Sj in recently published articles in Newsweek and elsewhere has said Apple is working on how to get a cheaper iPod into the marketplace. It would be nice to have a 5 Gig model at $199 but I don't believe Toshiba makes 5 Gig drives anymore. Of course, if Apple could guarantee a sufficent amount of orders to them, they would certainly make them I suspect. There will be no big discounts on the iPod for this Holiday Season because Apple is selling every one they have made for them at the moment. Next Spring we'll most likely see new iPods at different and probably lower price points with more features then the current model.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

You would have to have a pretty huge music collection. Would you be willing to state how much of it is legal? You really don't have to -- better to take the Fifth anyway.

Big Mac, I don't mind saying how much of it is legal at all. I would say that 99% of it is legal. I've ripped every CD I've owned since I was 13 (and I'm now 29). I won't deny that I got some stuff off Kazaa a couple of years ago when I was a lowly Windows user, but now I try and keep it all legal. I don't have more than 50 songs I got off Kazaa, because I bought most of the music I downloaded from Kazaa after the fact, becuase, you know, you can get some shoddy-quality stuff from downloading. You know-incomplete tracks, bad versions, etc etc. I also use Furthernet to download some live shows of "jam bands" that I like.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    please, please give us another color!!

(but wait until december when I can finally afford an iPod)
  • Reply 11 of 28
    The price difference between the 10, 20 and 40 drives themselves are not $100 respectively but a lot less. Apple is using price to segment their consumers and create demand from different types of users. You see them doing the same thing now with the new G5 pricing. Apple protects their pricing this way from commodity pressure. Since Apple is also the OEM, they have the best margins and price control. Compare this to Napster which buys from Samsung and Dell which rebrands Creative's player.

Price used to promote a better product is also useful. If Apple priced the 20GB at Dell's levels, isn't Apple saying compare us to Dell? When a consumer goes shopping they can settle for the cheaper Creative or they can pay a little more for the better iPod, you see. Too, Apple is better able to give more to resellers than Creative is, so resellers and commissioned salesmen would be more inclined to push the iPod. So giving the Sales channel more incentive to sell you over the competition is more important among retailers than having a cheaper product where everyone keeps a lot less, including the store and the salesman.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Riiight... there's so much sales incentive to move iPods that 3/4 of the iPods I've "tried" to test in a retail setting were broken. The only one that worked was in a campus mac shop.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Riiight... there's so much sales incentive to move iPods that 3/4 of the iPods I've "tried" to test in a retail setting were broken. The only one that worked was in a campus mac shop.

sorry, im confused by your sarcasm

and what was broke on them?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

I've got over 60 GB ripped, and it's only about two thirds of my CD collection. 100% of it is legal.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Well, I have over 2200 CDs, counting multi-disc sets as 1. Actual number of discs is closer to 2500. How many GB would that be?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Applenut, there's the argument that a higher end price encourages sales staff to push the product, supposedly because that means more profit for the store and perhaps even a better commision for the sales staff. But, Apple has always had high prices and few retail partners committed to pushing their products over those of another company. Apple is notorious for having very little sales incentive for their retail partners and retailers tend to punish them accordingly. High prices guarantee nothing unless theres a high profit margin for the retailer/sales staff.

When I most recently visited a Best Buy and then a Future Shop, both iPod displays were wrecked. On one the iPod didn't work at all, and on the other the diplay worked but the iPod itself was completely unresponsive and there was no output. At one store the sales woman even said that iPod kinda worked sometimes but (in not so many words) she wasn't going to stand there and figure it out -- want it? take it or leave it.

This argument that the price structure of the iPod will somehow help anchor it into certain markets the way autos or high-end hotels sometimes raise prices to boost sales (with the appearance of exclusivity) is just BS.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I've got over 60 GB ripped, and it's only about two thirds of my CD collection. 100% of it is legal.

wow.

Quote:

Originally posted by Derrick 61 Well, I have over 2200 CDs, counting multi-disc sets as 1. Actual number of discs is closer to 2500. How many GB would that be?

WOW.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    my music collection can beat up your music collection!!!
  • Reply 19 of 28
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

my music collection can beat up your music collection!!!

• Reply 20 of 28
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I have more DVD's (300+) than CD's (200+)

Also about 25 SACD's.

Go figure. \