iMac DV shuts itself off as its booting..help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Got an iMac DV SE 400mhz G3. As its booting it shuts itself 5-10 seconds in.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    What OS? Have you tried booting from a CD? Resetting the PRAM and power settings?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    P M U RESET.

Just hit it once though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Mine did that just before it died (iMac 266)

Bad power supply

It's a safty feature of some kind... somthing is wrong with your power supply and or mother board (I would guess)

Check e-bay.... new PS will cost about $100

Good Luck
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Check e-bay.... new PS will cost about $100

On the Slot Loading iMac's the Powersuppy is part of a larger piece known as the AVP Board and as such must be replaced as a whole unit?something which is actually dangerous due to the seperation of the CRT from the AVP board. DO NOT TRY THIS AS IT CAN KILL YOU. (Not joking)

Beyond that the replacement piece from Apple is not cheap either... it will run you more than a couple hundred dollars to have it replaced.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yose

On the Slot Loading iMac's the Powersuppy is part of a larger piece known as the AVP Board and as such must be replaced as a whole unit?something which is actually dangerous due to the seperation of the CRT from the AVP board. DO NOT TRY THIS AS IT CAN KILL YOU. (Not joking)

Beyond that the replacement piece from Apple is not cheap either... it will run you more than a couple hundred dollars to have it replaced.

Wow you guys like saying your mac is dead don't you? It can shock you badly if you don't know what the heck your doing.

I took the imac apart and looked at everything and everything seemed a ok. Took the oppurtunity to check all the cables for everything and cleaned the interior...it can get pretty filthy in there.

Then I read a part of the manual that is called INTERMITTENT SHUTDOWN - THe computer shuts down randomly or shuts off during boot

Solution was to take imac aprt and check LED light that illuminutes the power key. IF THIS LED LIGHT IS NOT CENTERED IT SAYS TO RECENTER IT USING ANYTHING.

It wasn't centered. I recentered it. and booted up and the comp works perfectly.

Funny how an uncentered LED on the powerbutton can cause such an annoying problem
  • Reply 6 of 6
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Then I read a part of the manual that is called INTERMITTENT SHUTDOWN - THe computer shuts down randomly or shuts off during boot

Solution was to take imac aprt and check LED light that illuminutes the power key. IF THIS LED LIGHT IS NOT CENTERED IT SAYS TO RECENTER IT USING ANYTHING.

It wasn't centered. I recentered it. and booted up and the comp works perfectly.

Funny how an uncentered LED on the powerbutton can cause such an annoying problem

Note that I never said it was dead, I said you could be dead! And it can do more than shock you ? it's obviously going to do more if you have a heart problem, etc.

Glad it's working now.