My opinion of the apple product line

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Being bored at work, I've come up with this nice product line/hierarchy.... I don't even own an apple yet.. but I'm getting confused with eMacs and iMacs (Neither would I ever own those, I'm getting an iBook) This is how I see that apple should have their product line.

Desktops:

Consumer

eMac (500 to 1000) USD

-Middlerange G4 Chip

-256megs of Ram

-40gig hard drive (PATA)

-combo drive

-WiFi, Bluetooth, Firewire 400, USB 2.0

-10/100/1000 NIC

-VGA and ACD

-Lowerend Geforce Card

iMac (Pro-type Consumer) (1000 to 1700) USD

-Highend G4 Chip

-512megs of Ram

-80gig Hard Drive (PATA)

-SuperDrive (Slower)

-WiFi, Bluetooth, Firewire 800, USB 2.0

-10/100/1000 NIC

-Built in LCD Moniter 15 or 17 inch

Pro Line

PowerMac G5 (1700 to 3000)

-Highend G5 Chip

-512 megs of Ram

-80gig Hard Drive (SATA)

-Superdrive (Fastest)

-WiFi, Bluetooth, Firewire 800, USB 2.0

-10/100/1000 NIC

-Highend Graphics Card

-DVI and ACD

This is the consumer line.. I haven't touched Business or Server, or Notebook lines yet.. I'll get to those in a Minute, and I'll just edit this topic with them as I get them. But this seems logical to me, and I mean Macs really need to get cheaper.. I can't affoard a new iBook or Powerbook, so I am getting the last rev of the g3 ibook cheap from my job since they are phasing it out. With out some lowcost solutions apple is gonna sink, since everyone on the pc side gets cheaper.

Consumer

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Everyone has their own opinions. Thanks for sharing your view on the subject. However, next time, look for a thread that already has this going, there are multiple on the boards right now. All these tend to do is cause argument too.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    this is my opinion.

this thread sucks.

sorry, but it does...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

this is my opinion.

this thread sucks.

sorry, but it does...

Everyone has their own opinions. Thanks for sharing your view on the subject. However, next time, look for something constructive to say, there are multiple unnecessary put-downs on the boards right now. All these tend to do is belittle newbies.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

this is my opinion.

this thread sucks.

sorry, but it does...

Well, these days you're lucky there's a new thread at all.

AppleInsider's not so active lately......
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

Everyone has their own opinions. Thanks for sharing your view on the subject. However, next time, look for something constructive to say, there are multiple unnecessary put-downs on the boards right now. All these tend to do is belittle newbies.

You are right, my apologies to the original poster. My attempt at humor came across as mean. This thread could have been included in another, but no big crime. We should welcome new faces and voices around here.

One thing I disagree with though is the comment that there aren't that many new threads. I think things are about as interesting as they've ever been around here. I really dig the new News forum. Keeps me up to date with the front page.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

this is my opinion.

this thread sucks.

sorry, but it does...

It's all about constructive criticism. Teach the newbies, don't scare them off.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    It seems like the current lineup comes pretty close to your viewpoint already, although I'm unclear as to whether you're expecing Wi-fi and bluetooth included standard in those prices. Also, what purpose does gigabit ethernet serve in a consumer machine?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

You are right, my apologies to the original poster. My attempt at humor came across as mean. This thread could have been included in another, but no big crime. We should welcome new faces and voices around here.

One thing I disagree with though is the comment that there aren't that many new threads. I think things are about as interesting as they've ever been around here. I really dig the new News forum. Keeps me up to date with the front page.

Good sentiments blue2kdave

I also like the News section - seriously... I gave up on the AI front page ages ago - always heading straight to the forums. Nice to know that they're back spreading news, gossip and other tidbits of info.

Ummm... sorry for the OT post
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Bluetooth, Wifi, and Gigabit Enet are basicly standard on most PC motherboards. I'm just giving suggestions about to apple that they should include them to remain competetive.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Standard on PCs or the motherboards? I don't follow the specs of desktop motherboards, but I can't think of any that have wi-fi or bluetooth built-in standard, it's always add-on PCI cards.

Also, although gigabit ethernet may come on some motherboards, what value is it to a home user?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Notebooks are slowly starting to adopt all three of those technologies.

The newer Athlon XP boards are staring to add bluetooth in and wifi. Gigabit Enet has been pretty standerd since NForce 2 boards came out. Its plenty of value I think, if nothing else but to be competetive. Prices are coming down on alot of the gigabit networking hardware...