PowerBook G5

Comments

• Reply 201 of 375
    I normally stay out of these conversations, but this one is just too much. I am with Tomb on this one - this thread makes for an interesting intellectual exercise in the possibility of parallel architecture in future machines, but anyone taking Nr9 as anything but a guy taking you for a ride shouldn't talk to strangers is all I have to say.
  • Reply 202 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

Cell is basically cluster technology

there is nothing new, except very high bandwidth, very low power core, lots of cores.

Really? You don't think they might have a proprietary messaging protocol? Or proprietary interchip busses? Or custom cores?

And you can prove this how?

You've repeatedly insisted that the STI Cell which, as described is an implementation of a cellular computing model, is the same thing as a standard cluster. (You've also conflated the implementation with the computing model, but that's another story.)

If Cell is just another cluster and there's nothing new, why aren't they done yet? How hard could it be? Why take several years and billions of dollars in development? How hard is it to just add a high bandwidth bus to some 440 cores and call it a day? Hell, they could just rename the Power5 and call it a day, since it meets your criteria already.
  • Reply 203 of 375
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LowB-ing

I dont know to much about this stuff, but this thread is a great read, wheather the rumor's true or not.

One thoght struck me though. The orighinal source might very well be right about the tech stuff and simultaneously wrong about the PowerBook "detail". what if there's a G5 PB in september but some kind of "future generation reference platform" released to devs at WWDC?

I was thinking along those exact same lines. I get the feeling that (if he's not completely pulling our legs) Nr9 does have access to some insiders, but it's not his own field and so is getting some details mixed up (or even is being fed disinformation by these "insiders" as a joke).

What Nr9 is describing would almost make sense for a gaming console. The PS3, XBox2, and GameCube successor are all apparently going with IBM, with the PS3 explicitly using this Cell technology (according to reports, anyway). An OSX (or Linux)-derived OS for these PPC-based systems might be feasible. Since games have a relatively short shelf-life as it is, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to require future versions to follow a new coding paradigm. Low power consumption is important for these units as they are mainly made out of plastic and have little room (or budget) for fancy cooling systems.

So I'm leaning toward this being more closely related to the next PlayStation than the next PowerBook. That's my current take on the issue, anyway.
  • Reply 204 of 375
    nr9nr9 Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Really? You don't think they might have a proprietary messaging protocol? Or proprietary interchip busses? Or custom cores?

And you can prove this how?

You've repeatedly insisted that the STI Cell which, as described is an implementation of a cellular computing model, is the same thing as a standard cluster. (You've also conflated the implementation with the computing model, but that's another story.)

If Cell is just another cluster and there's nothing new, why aren't they done yet? How hard could it be? Why take several years and billions of dollars in development? How hard is it to just add a high bandwidth bus to some 440 cores and call it a day? Hell, they could just rename the Power5 and call it a day, since it meets your criteria already.

does a new messaging protocol and new busses make it not a cluster?

I never conflated implmenetation with computing model, I think you have. cell is simply just another implementation of the computing model with new messaging protocols and busses. do you kno why cell is called cell? its short for cellular computing.

The point of Cell is a specific implementation of the cellular computing paradigm that uses large numbers of extremely low power cores with extremely high bandwidth capabilities. Do you have evidence it is anything else?
  • Reply 205 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by TJM

I was thinking along those exact same lines. I get the feeling that (if he's not completely pulling our legs) Nr9 does have access to some insiders, but it's not his own field and so is getting some details mixed up (or even is being fed disinformation by these "insiders" as a joke).

What Nr9 is describing would almost make sense for a gaming console. The PS3, XBox2, and GameCube successor are all apparently going with IBM, with the PS3 explicitly using this Cell technology (according to reports, anyway). An OSX (or Linux)-derived OS for these PPC-based systems might be feasible. Since games have a relatively short shelf-life as it is, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to require future versions to follow a new coding paradigm. Low power consumption is important for these units as they are mainly made out of plastic and have little room (or budget) for fancy cooling systems.

So I'm leaning toward this being more closely related to the next PlayStation than the next PowerBook. That's my current take on the issue, anyway.

even though im not an expert in this field, at least I know more than tomb. At least I don't believe the STI Cell to be something other than on-chip clustering technology for a cellular implementation. At least I dont make comments like "440 is not cache coherent so its impossible" when we were clearly talking about MPI in the first place. or "if its 4 processor it must be SMP". or "this requires a new instruction set" when new libraries are sufficient. tomb is just talking out of his ass, dont let him get you carried away.
  • Reply 206 of 375
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Bear in mind I have no technical knowledge.

Just reading this thread, it would seem to me that using 4 - 440 cores, then developing all the associated communication, cache and L2/L3 memory to provide any real level of performance would end up with a design that has more transistors total than a G5 and generates more heat than a G5. Then on top of this would run most existing software a abysmally slow speeds. I mean, come on 700Mhz. for single threads and apps that don't use multi-processor designs.

Maybe sometime in the distant future, when 2 - 7 stage cores can instantly morph into one long 14 stage core and bump the clock speed up from 700Mhz to 1.2Ghz, or whatever, then morph back into 2 cores again for multi-threaded apps.
  • Reply 207 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Bear in mind I have no technical knowledge.

Just reading this thread, it would seem to me that using 4 - 440 cores, then developing all the associated communication, cache and L2/L3 memory to provide any real level of performance would end up with a design that has more transistors total than a G5 and generates more heat than a G5. Then on top of this would run most existing software a abysmally slow speeds. I mean, come on 700Mhz. for single threads and apps that don't use multi-processor designs.

Maybe sometime in the distant future, when 2 - 7 stage cores can instantly morph into one long 14 stage core and bump the clock speed up from 700Mhz to 1.2Ghz, or whatever, then morph back into 2 cores again for multi-threaded apps.

Incorrect. Power dissipation depends on how many transistors are active at the same time.
  • Reply 208 of 375
    this is a ploy I think to find a loose lipped guy
  • Reply 209 of 375
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

even though im not an expert in this field, at least I know more than tomb. At least I don't believe the STI Cell to be something other than on-chip clustering technology. At least I dont make comments like "440 is not cache coherent so its impossible" when we were clearly talking about MPI in the first place. or "if its 4 processor it must be SMP". or "this requires a new instruction set" when new libraries are sufficient. tomb is just talking out of his ass, dont let him get you carried away.

Nr9: I don't mean to sound like I'm putting you down or blowing you off. I'm no expert on any of this, so I'm simply standing on the sidelines trying to figure out what's up. We've had others in the past come by and assure us they had "inside" sources who proceeded to post absolute garbage that they just made up. So, I'm once bitten and twice shy in these matters. You and Tomb both appear to know what you're talking about, so I'm left in a quandry.

Reputation counts for a lot on these boards. Since you're new, I don't have that to draw on. If what you're posting pans out, your status will rise considerably in my eyes. If it turns out to be bogus, I'll never believe another thing you post. So, for your own sake, I hope that all you've been posting is absolutely legit. It's made for an interesting thread, in any event!
  • Reply 210 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

Just to be explicit about what the brochure says:

....multi-gigahertz...........

I like the sound of that word. Hopefully, they mean much more than just 2 or 3.

Just a few comments on the discussion here. I'm not sure I buy into the idea that the PowerBook G5 will be this 440 based MCM. That said, I do find this discussion interesting and think this is a direction that Apple may eventually go. I don't think Apple is really looking at how to make Word or Powerpoint faster. In the case of Word, the industry reached the point that it was fast enough a couple of years ago. Apple should be looking at how to make things like Final Cut pro and Shake faster. An approach that bears some simularity to what Nr9 describes may be what is needed.
  • Reply 211 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nr9

Incorrect. The quad processors should have a total of around 10 million transistors or less

I find that hard to believe, but am in no position to argue effectively, due to a lack of knowledge. But the designs posted in this thread include a lot of L2 or L3 cache, some for each core, and I would have thought these alone would exceed 10 million transistors.

Oh well, we'll see some time in the future, here's hoping you do have inside info and we'll all be celebrating our low watt, energy efficiate laptops running Blast genome projects while watching the latest Matrix DVD.
  • Reply 212 of 375
    Quote:

........while watching the latest Matrix DVD.

Ah jeez, you're kidding! I thought that 'Reloaded' marked both the low point and the last of that crappy series......

IMHO
  • Reply 213 of 375
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

I find that hard to believe, but am in no position to argue effectively, due to a lack of knowledge. But the designs posted in this thread include a lot of L2 or L3 cache, some for each core, and I would have thought these alone would exceed 10 million transistors.

If he's only counting the cores, that's possible: The 440 core is only 4 square millimeters in size. It's when you start bolting stuff on that the number becomes problematic.

Speaking of that, a little extra browsing around reveals that CoreConnect, the means available to attach extra units to the core (which Motorola also uses) provides 6.4GB/s of bandwidth (at up to 550MHz). VMX running at 700MHz could chew through about 11GB/s, so it would be starved for data on die if attached to that interface. Not even the prefetch-into-cache trick borrowed from the G4 would get around that, because the bottleneck is between the VMX unit and any caches.
  • Reply 214 of 375
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Wow! It's a discussion on cells. I have been wondering where cell technology would lead. It's my impression that Sony is taking this approach for PS/3, while Microsoft is going with the Power5 derivative. So I have been wondering what is in Apple's future? It looks like Steve is getting his "options."

What I find interesting are the comments about using message passing, and the statement from Nr9 saying, ". . . each core runs a extremely small version of mac os x that only has basic MPI function." I don't know enough about computer science to know whether this might mean each core runs a separate Mach kernel? If so, it looks like there could be an advantage to Darwin, which uses a micro kernel. If this is true, it would indeed be a cluster of computers that are networking and under the control of a master computer, the "fifth" chip that was referred to. This master chip would run the full OS X operating system.

I think we will see both cell and PowerX technologies going forward in parallel for a while.
  • Reply 215 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

I don't know enough about computer science to know whether this might mean each core runs a separate Mach kernel? If so, it looks like there could be an advantage to Darwin, which uses a micro kernel.

But here's the problem: Darwin doesn't use a microkernel. Mach is in there, but it's "fused" to the rest of the kernel, meaning that it doesn't run in its own space and communicate with everything above it via message passing. This fusing trades modularity, reliability and security for brute performance: Generally, a true Mach microkernel imposes about a 10%-20% performance penalty over a monolithic kernel. So Darwin is a sort-of-message-passing monolithic kernel, which is unconventional but well suited to the task at hand.

We're a long long way from embedded kernels like L4 that can really do this: L4 is 32K in size (only eight times the size of the original UNIX! ) so it can stuff itself into a CPU cache and run from there. There are Mach implementations that run in this space, such as TMach, but Apple doesn't use them, and changing Darwin to accomodate one separate Mach kernel - let alone four, or eight - would be a serious enterprise with an accompanying performance penalty. (Ironically, Mac OS 8.5 - 9 ran on a nanokernel, which is a really small, minimalist microkernel.)

That's not to say that Apple isn't considering a major revision to OS X that would separate Mach back out into its own thing with its own address space. It's a better design generally (you ain't seen uptime yet), and the power and bandwidth of forthcoming hardware platforms might make the performance hit forgivable. However, this is not a project to take lightly, at all, and that's with only one microkernel running. The sort of system Nr9 is describing would keep Apple's engineers up nights for a good long time. (Avie might relish the challenge, though.)
  • Reply 216 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

... It's when you start bolting stuff on that the number becomes problematic....

My view is obviously over simplified, due to lack of knowledge, but going back to the G4 comparison. The G4 has 1 integer, 1 floating point and 4 altivec units(I think?), is using a 7 stage pipeline and is now at 52 million transistors.

The proposed 440 derivative uses a 7 stage pipeline, tacks on a floating point and altivec unit and the claim is that 2 dual core 440's each with altivec and added floating point units will be 10 million transistors. I just can't wrap my head around this at all. Plus the fact that each core will have to have additional systems for communicating between themselves to make any parallelism efficiently work.

While the Power 4 is not an ideal example, it uses a ring topology(???terminolgy), has up to four dual core cpu's runs at a relatively pokey speed compared to desktops, but uses up to 132Mb's of L3 cache per processor in order to perform it's intended job, which I presume to be massive parallelism, multi-tasking, multi-threading on a huge scale. Scaling this philosphy down to a desktop using 10 million transistors seems, well, uh, mm, quite difficult, let alone having to conjole developers into optimizing software for this design.

For the technologicaly impaired like me, please don't put to much stock in what I say, but I'm still skeptcal of Nr9's claims.
  • Reply 217 of 375
    Quote:

My view is obviously over simplified, due to lack of knowledge, but going back to the G4 comparison. The G4 has 1 integer, 1 floating point and 4 altivec units(I think?), is using a 7 stage pipeline and is now at 52 million transistors.

The proposed 440 derivative uses a 7 stage pipeline, tacks on a floating point and altivec unit and the claim is that 2 dual core 440's each with altivec and added floating point units will be 10 million transistors. I just can't wrap my head around this at all.

(n.b.: the G4 has four units that, together, make up AltiVec. It only has one Altivec engine.)

I can't wrap my head around that number either. That's why I said that 10 million might make sense for the 440 cores (no FP, no AltiVec, no memory controller or L2 cache or message passing logic). The whole shebang, though? No. If memory serves, 4 AltiVec implementations alone, borrowed from the highly efficient design in the 7450 (also a 7 stage CPU) would total to 20 million transistors.

Quote:

While the Power 4 is not an ideal example, it uses a ring topology(???terminolgy), has up to four dual core cpu's runs at a relatively pokey speed compared to desktops, but uses up to 132Mb's of L3 cache per processor in order to perform it's intended job, which I presume to be massive parallelism, multi-tasking, multi-threading on a huge scale. Scaling this philosphy down to a desktop using 10 million transistors seems, well, uh, mm, quite difficult, let alone having to conjole developers into optimizing software for this design.

This looks to me like a sound analysis. The trick to the POWER4 implementation is that it's so massively powerful that you don't really have to program for it. It's basically designed to run lots of conventional server applications and push massive amounts of data around for those applications all at once. (And, of course, if you do program for it, you get rewarded handsomely.) Once you scale the design down to something built around 440s, you either have to be content to run applications that are happy executing on a 440, or you have to start targeting the architecture specifically. The ratio of the power of each core to the demands of each application is a lot lower.
  • Reply 218 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

...I can't wrap my head around that number either. That's why I said that 10 million might make sense for the 440 cores (no FP, no AltiVec, no memory controller or L2 cache or message passing logic)...

Thank you for the responses to my rambling posts. One thing I would like to say, I'm not against this cpu design philosphy, I just believe we're looking much further into the future than next year. OS X is only the beginning, and as more Altivec, multi-threading tech becomes available and programmed for it will feed the monster and ultimately we'll be there, running our Blast Genome project while watching the lastest Matrix DVD(not Revolution, but sequal #10) on our cool quiet laptops.
  • Reply 219 of 375
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying it doesn't make sense to do it. The 440 was expressly designed to be extensible. A good SoC solution needs to be extensible because in the embedded market, one size rarely fits all plus an extensible design will have longer legs as far as product family lifecycle goes. (You don't have to retool for every new fad in communications technology.)

The very fact that the 440 is extensible is what makes the concept plausable. As to wether or not it makes sense that would depend on the goals of the developers. If your going the SOC route the 440 would be either a good base for prototyping or the real hardware. Again it is matter of what your goals are.

Quote:

So yes, you can add VMX and 440 FPU2 units to the 440 quite handily.

Well he said two MCMs with two 440s each. Which is nonsensical at the outset, since an MCM describes the Power4 and Power5 packaging and IBM does not use the terminology elsewhere, to my knowledge. But leaving that aside, there is the issue that what an MCM provides is interchip communications busses. It's purpose is to allow the cores to communicate, so separating them into pairs with only two per MCM is counterproductive if you know you'll need four cores. So I assumed that all four would be on one MCM.

The technology that produces a MCM has been around for a long time. It is not a POWER technology. In the past it hasn't been cheap either, often being used only for military and space based projects. I understood it to be pairs of SOC processors mounted on an MCM. It really doesn't matter though because the minute you move a signal off a chip you change things.

Quote:

Well, if you want to create imaginary architectures to make Nr9's scenario more plausible, go right ahead.

Not so my imagination but information picked off the web indicating that Apple and IBM are working together on a nwe laptop chip. That info could very well mean a mainstream chip, or it could mena they are pushing technology for laptops in a new direction.

Quote:

There would also have to be support in the core for thread locking, etc. (Means more silicon, more heat.)

What thread locking?

Quote:

This is actually a self contradictory two part objection. Please rest assured that (as Nr9 points out) a distributed architecture would require an entirely new programmatic model despite Mac OS X's unix foundations. It would mean rewritting the OS from the ground up. You would not be able to use the Mach kernel, for instance.

Nope I don't believe that Apple would produce a machine that would require a new operating system. They may add to the operating system and some functionality may be implemented differrently on the system side, but user apps should not be impacted.

Look at it this way PowerMacs have been used for cluster computing for some time. Just because there is support added to them to enable cluster computing does not mean that ordinary MAC applications do not run on them. In fact you can download at least a couple of different message passing libraries for UNIX/Linux off the internet.

Its not self contradictory at all it just reflects what is available now in the way of Message Passing technology.

Quote:

As to the second part of your objection, yes an SMP implementation is possible, just not with the 440 core.

I'm not willing to go so far as to say it is impossible. To an extent the cache system can be modified along with the bus interface.

Quote:

Whether he said it or not, it becomes a fundamental requirement as the only alternative is to run it on a slow core effectively undoing any expected perfromance benefit.

You are trying to say that something that is currently impossible is required for this to be successful. This is very convienent but is really not a very good arguement. Yes some applications may not take advantage of a threaded environment to the extent of others, but there is no reason to focus on them. Even then some single threaded applications will see very good performance due to the rest of the system being threaded.

Quote:

Well, in some applications, the advantages of distributed architectures are overwhelming. But that is not to say that this is true in all cases. Yes, it may be true that there are limits to SMP systems but can you tell me what those limits might be? IBM is heavily invested in the Power5 architecture which is carrying SMP down to the thread level (SMT).

Kinda depends on the application and hardware implementation doesn't it. What Nr9 has described sounds almost like a cluster of SMP machines, this may or may not be the case. What I do know is that at some point it does pay to look at other arraingements than SMP. It would be very difficult to nail down any one size of SMP machine as being the best choice, there are to many variables.

As to SMT and SMP, the Power 5 does not carry the abstraction down to the thread level. SMT allows the processeor to work on two threads, from the hardware point of view, at the same time. These hardware threads could be application threads or the could be completely different processes. Generally what is run in the two contextes is up to the scheduler. It is not quite the same thing as multithread programming.

Quote:

Sigh. You really can't just jumble up terms like MCM, SoC, SMP and "cluster". Each has a specific meaning in the context of this discussion so you can't posit the integration of seemingly anti-podal or contrasting technologies without a great deal more explanation as to how it would be achieved.

That is complete garbage. You can have a cluster of SMP machines just like VT built. If you have the money you can also build a cluster on a MCM, if things are small enought you can even build a cluster on a piece of silicon, that being one variant of a SoC. There is no contrasting technology here, it is a matter of integration and the goals you have set. Sure you won't get the entire VT cluster on one MCM but you could very well put 4 machines on one if you really wanted and two would not be a problem. Each step down in size also allows you do do things differrently, so instead of networking you have interchip connects. What becomes a problem is our old friend heat, thus nothing suggested at the start of this thread is even possible without low power parts.

Quote:

You miss my point. Right now, the only kinds of applications (software) that use the kind of cellular programming model described are high end, highly parallel, high performance applications such as climatological modeling software run by government agencies and academic institutions.

OK, so what your saying is that all of those massively clustered SMP systems that corporations have installed in the last few years have on real application. You should pass this informaiton onto the share holders. Even Formula 1 race teams have their own clusters.

Quote:

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But then, you'd be wrong. It would be extremely difficult for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that "ain't no one been there yet".

It kinda amazes me that you continue to believe that software that uses Message Passing doesn't exist. Further I find it funny that you believe that this can't exist on top of OS/X and maintain backward compatablity. History is not on your side.

Quote:

No, it's more like taking the APU of the PPC 970 and replacing it with a 440 core. Then repeat with the FPUs. And so on.

I stand by my original statement, modify the 440 core a bit does not imply that you now have a different family. Just as minor modifications to the 970 does not imply a completely different family. That doesn't mean that IBM & Apple can't come up with something that is totally different and thus send the boat down a different branch in the river. It just means that 440 being a core can be modified and still be considered a 440.

Quote:

You got me. I have no clue what you are talking about.

Please, go here for info you might need.

I'm trying to figure out if you have a clue or not. Apparently you don't as you have continued to confuse what multithreading is. The point being that multithreaded applications are not tied to the processor implementation on the motherboard (SMP) nor to the type of processor. A multithreaded application can be runned on a 8 bit processor or on a single processor 970. Multithreading has nothing to do with the processor as far as a programming concept. What modern operating systems along with SMP and SMT do is provide a way to enhance what can be offered by a multithread program. The gotcha is that multithreaded applications though are not dependant on features like SMP and SMT being there.

Quote:

As described, the architecture of the laptop in question is as foreign to Mac OS X applications as the P4 is. (Actually, the P4 is a kissing cousin compared to the implementation described.) So, if Apple were to ship this next week, there would be no software for it.

Again garbage! You would just run your old software but would not get full beenfit from the system. Much in the same way as someone running Excel on VT's cluster and getting no benefit from all of the other nodes available.

Quote:

That, of course, is the thrust of my argument.

Yep these are all rumors but you have not provided one bit of compelling evidence that they are not atleast possible.

Quote:

Nope, sorry. Not buying it.

I believe your not buying it because you are not aware of the possibilities. You really need to take a serious look at what is already available, and then add a bit of imagination.

Quote:

No, at least some of us have been discussing the cell architecture under development by the STI group. Whether it is implemented starting from PPC or x86 designs won't matter that much. You could begin with transmeta's architecture, but in the end you will have a bunch of instructions that make no sense to any other architecture. The problem space is too divergent. Hence, a new instruction set.

There is no new instruction set!!! This thread has been about a PPC implementation that could be new to laptops. That other have added the distractions of other systems does not mean that they are applicable to the base of this discussion. While I can see adding hardware supprot for certain sorts of functions in a machine of the type discussed you will still have the same base instruction set. Just as the 440 is a PPC with an extended instruction set with support for DSP for example.

Even if we did end up extending the PPC instruction set, there is very little likely hood that the user would ever see these new capabilities. These would be obscured by operating system and library abstractions. There is no doubt in my mind that the PPC instruction set will continue to evolve, as it has in the past, this evolution will not break user applications.

Quote:

Now, you might be able to convince me it could be done as an extension to an existing ISA, but you'd have to work pretty hard at it.

Just look around at all of the clusters operating in the world using standard off the shelf processors. I don't have to do the convincing prior art exists. Even then if they do extend the instruction set it doesn't mean anything to the user at all.

Did all of the user apps suddenly fail to work when Alt-Vec was introduced? That one additioned added more capability and instructions to the PPC than we are ever likely to see from hardware additions to support message passing. On top of that is the reality that all of the above could be done with out adding any new instructions at all to the PPC base. But agian this has been done again and again to the PPC programming model without breaking user apps, with DSP and vector instructions.

Thanks

Dave

Quote:

• Reply 220 of 375
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I've found this to be fasinating also. While I still have problems believing this will go into a PowerBook, the IBook or something smaller would be a very good fit.

As far as the OS goes there are anumber of possibilities. One is that the slave processors run a tiny kernel that handles communications with the primary CPU. This sort of arraingement generates its own problems but is possible. There is even past experience with such systems in the PC world where you had plug in computation servers.

To be honest I really hope that Apple is not going this route. I'd much rather see 4 fully capable computer units.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

Wow! It's a discussion on cells. I have been wondering where cell technology would lead. It's my impression that Sony is taking this approach for PS/3, while Microsoft is going with the Power5 derivative. So I have been wondering what is in Apple's future? It looks like Steve is getting his "options."

What I find interesting are the comments about using message passing, and the statement from Nr9 saying, ". . . each core runs a extremely small version of mac os x that only has basic MPI function." I don't know enough about computer science to know whether this might mean each core runs a separate Mach kernel? If so, it looks like there could be an advantage to Darwin, which uses a micro kernel. If this is true, it would indeed be a cluster of computers that are networking and under the control of a master computer, the "fifth" chip that was referred to. This master chip would run the full OS X operating system.

I think we will see both cell and PowerX technologies going forward in parallel for a while.