The fastest computer - but will it make a diference?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Let's postulate a time in the near future with 980 based Macs performing tasks 50% faster than the fastest PC's. If this scenario were to come to fruition would Apples market share rise?

I would love it to be so, but I fear not. As far as I can see there are too many enterprise solutions for which there are no Mac versions. Every week we seem to hear of major players who are dropping Mac support.

I think the iPod was a stroke of genius, and I believe it is driving sales of Macs in the consumer market but OI just can't see decline of PC's. There are too many vested interests in PC's. You only have to look at the number of PC vendors. You can buy PC's of every flavour everywhere I am sure petrol stations will sell them soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    50% faster than PCs? You bet your ass it would rise.

So would the trap door in my underwear.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Let's postulate a time in the near future with 980 based Macs performing tasks 50% faster than the fastest PC's. If this scenario were to come to fruition would Apples market share rise?

I would love it to be so, but I fear not. As far as I can see there are too many enterprise solutions for which there are no Mac versions. Every week we seem to hear of major players who are dropping Mac support.

I think the iPod was a stroke of genius, and I believe it is driving sales of Macs in the consumer market but OI just can't see decline of PC's. There are too many vested interests in PC's. You only have to look at the number of PC vendors. You can buy PC's of every flavour everywhere I am sure petrol stations will sell them soon.

Many developpers quit the mac platform, because they thinked that this platform have no future. The G5 is demonstrating quite the contrary. Where there is money to get, there will be developpers. Perhaps some actors will be different, but i am optimist for the future.

Even if the Mac market is small in % , it's still huge in number (millions of computers around the world).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    you make an interesting point... I think though you needn't worry as though developers are leaving at times we're also gaining new ones. The only place i think the mac platform should grow is in enterprise development. macs are great by themselves, but in number I wish apple made a "creative server" or just some great options for developers to take advantage of.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The most promising thing to me is the penetration of OS X into university computer science programs. This is huge.

Courtesy of UNIX, Apple is building a base of budding Mac developers. It might not bear fruit for a little while, but it'll make a big difference down the road.