Took my PB 17" 1.33ghz to school today (HS)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, im a senior in high school. I got this powerbook G4 1.33ghz last month. I love it to death. I have upgraded 5400rpm 80gig, and now 1gig ram, 512 through apple standard, and 512 crucial. The kids were SOOO amazed. So many never knew what mac was, or know how nice. I got to show them some tricks and things. All were amazed by resolution quality. I know i turned quite a bit of heads today. Maybe they will decide to get mac soon now. 1 person is planning on switching to new iBook G4 sometime soon. Incase case for the 17" PB is nice also, i almost got the big case they sell, but wanted more sleek. I thought it was cool to see these peoples faces seeing mac. It reminds me of what i probably looked like 5 months ago when i decided i wanted a mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I did the same thing a couple days ago, they all loved it. It was especially nice because our school has portable labs of dellbooks that seems cheap and crappy in comparison. I need to get the password to the wireless network so I can have the internet wirelessly. It worked when I just plugged it into the wall, guess I'll have to carry an ethernet cable around with me
  • Reply 2 of 16
    powerbooks=pure sex
  • Reply 3 of 16
    well i can get net there, but not really. We dont have wireless network at our highschool and probably wont for 2 more years. And they dont have laptops there. But we have novell, older version. They own the newer one, but havent upgraded it. And wont upgrade it for some reason. So in order for me to have net, unless they upgraded, id have to get prosofts novell for mac. But im not buying it. our school has like 4 macs total. Maybe 5, 2 eMacs, and 2 iMacs, the iMacs are in library, and others are in my computer apps class. The teacher has the prosoft, but only 2 licenses for it, so i cant use it on mine.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    You lucky MFR. I sooo want one of those. But the studios needs come first, then my wants. Have to keep those employees happy!

~tommy
  • Reply 5 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I showed off pics of my G5 to my friends, and they didn't know it was a Mac. They thought Apple only made CRT iMacs! DAMN THEM ALL!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    LoL, everyone only knows the old macs, back in the days when i didnt even like them. But now, omg, me loves them.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    everyone loves my powerbook until.....

1.) they hear the price

2.) they see the paint that has chipped, bubbled and peeled (and then they proceed to laugh at the fact that I pay a premium for apple's design expertise and have a laptop that has paint peeling off of it)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

everyone loves my powerbook until.....

1.) they hear the price

2.) they see the paint that has chipped, bubbled and peeled (and then they proceed to laugh at the fact that I pay a premium for apple's design expertise and have a laptop that has paint peeling off of it)

The architecture students I know would glady pay extra for a nice looking mac. . . Most do. I know a girl (who's hot!) who saw the glowing keyboard, and bought the most loaded out 15" I've ever encountered the next day. Of course, the backwards department here is particularly inept at CAD, so it doesn't really matter what you have. But it's just another outlet for me to push FormZ/EI.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

The architecture students I know would glady pay extra for a nice looking mac. . . Most do. I know a girl (who's hot!) who saw the glowing keyboard, and bought the most loaded out 15" I've ever encountered the next day. Of course, the backwards department here is particularly inept at CAD, so it doesn't really matter what you have. But it's just another outlet for me to push FormZ/EI.

I started grad school in the design, architecture, art, and planning school at University of Cincinnati, and am LOVING all the macs i see around. The concourse and hallways, always filled with wireless laptop users is about 75% mac. I also do plotting work in the building and everything is all mac, it's great.

My undergrad (Ohio Univ.) was a PC monoculture. I was the only apple user i knew and was never "officially" supported on the university network. Sooooooooo lame.

I couldn't imagine an architecture school doing PC. makes me quesy.

A little off topic, but it does have to do with macs and school.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

well....you do go to Princeton. She's probably rich :P

A very supring amount of people, mostly girls, in my Architecture class have new PowerBooks. very strange, especially since the dept pushes PCs on us and all the GSIs and professors use PCs.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    yeah nothing better than an all mac environment tho... eh here at our office we're a small business. We got 2 powerbooks (my boss and I) and 3 powermacs, and old g4 450, my dual g5 I do all my work on and we have another guy on a MDD 1.25 for traffic. Tho they intermingle with windows computers ok I like the fact that we can all fileshare through ichat/rendezvous with everything it makes everything so easy..

however I went to one of the art institutes there and I used PC for all my 3d stuff but still that was 3 years ago... the only thing i had to choose from was lightwave, and strata3d for mac, Splinemodel be thankful to the mac gods, as things weren't always this cool
  • Reply 12 of 16
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    I got issued with a new PC at work today with the very latest OS: Windows NT4

Even though there is some enormous firewall between our company intranet and the free world, the PC is unworkable for 90 mins every day while it does a virus scan which I can't switch off.

But whenever I can, I use my own 17" PowerBook for presentations and stuff. Awesome.

• Reply 13 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    The last two times I've had to go to the laundromat (ugh), I've taken my PowerBook with me. Definitely turns heads and even started a conversation or three.

So sleek and I guess the thinness of it and the all-silver color make it stand out a bit (in a good way). That big glowing Apple logo is my favorite part...that usually puts out a strong signal.

What, I don't know...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

well....you do go to Princeton. She's probably rich :P

A very supring amount of people, mostly girls, in my Architecture class have new PowerBooks. very strange, especially since the dept pushes PCs on us and all the GSIs and professors use PCs.

Actually, she's not currently a student, and is a relatively poor class of 03 working for a not-for-profit in town. Knowing her, I would assume that she has really low living costs, though. I think her plans are to marry into money. (One of the bonuses of being a hot conservative girl who comes back for reunions)
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

powerbooks=pure sex

Thats why I'm saving up for a PB. I gotta get some I can't carry my cube with me everywhere!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    My Powerbook shipped!

My Powerbook shipped!

My Powerbook shipped!

My Powerbook shipped!

: D

about 2 weeks before scheduled!

awesome!