3ivx 4.5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It has multichannel AAC. Does QT Pro 6.4? If not I'm surprised, 3ivx seems currently to be beating Apple's ass at the MP4 game, it also has HE (High Efficiency) MP4 support. It claims to be much faster too. Anyway I'm glad it's out, 3ivx is the only solution for movies on CDs with good quality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    How do you burn 3ivx to Video CD's. Those are Super VCD's right? Can most DVD plyers read them pretty good?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

It has multichannel AAC. Does QT Pro 6.4? ....

Yes.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

How do you burn 3ivx to Video CD's. Those are Super VCD's right? Can most DVD plyers read them pretty good?

Super VCD is based on MPEG-2; most DVD players can play those.

3ivx on a CD is just 3ivx on a CD. Maybe one or two players can play them, but 99% will not.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    How can I make super VCD's i'm on 10.1.5 right now. I haven't found I good solution
  • Reply 5 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Get Panther and Toast 6. Or look on www.versiontracker.com there is plenty of free open source and shareware that will do the trick and all with easy to use interfaces.

However if you have a SuperDrive DVD2One, DVDBackup, and Toast will make a higher quality and ultimately compatible copy of a movie. 3ivx looks better IMO too however as has been mentioned won't play on set tops.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    3ivx is the current best Mac MPEG-4 encoder hands down.

It hands the Sorenson MPEG-4 Pro encoder its ass.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Too bad the only people who use it are movie pirates. It would be ideal if they could get into the Quicktime component download program. Until then, it really isn't practical to use. You can change the FourCC code to get apple's codec to decode it IIRC. However, you lose many of the benefits of using 3ivx to begin with.

The personal version(I paid for) also was discontinued it seems after D3.5. unfortunate
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by seppak

Too bad the only people who use it are movie pirates. It would be ideal if they could get into the Quicktime component download program. Until then, it really isn't practical to use. You can change the FourCC code to get apple's codec to decode it IIRC. However, you lose many of the benefits of using 3ivx to begin with.

The personal version(I paid for) also was discontinued it seems after D3.5. unfortunate

Apple's codec will decode version 4.5 video. You don't need the 3ivx plugin installed. There are plenty of benefits to using 3ivx to encode QuickTime compatible Simple-Profile MPEG-4 files. The Advanced Simple-Profile stuff is just icing.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    I encoded a short clip, removed 3ivx, and it would not play. I'm pretty sure you need to change the FourCC of the video to match apple's mpeg4 code. Anyways, it isn't worth the hassle.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by seppak

I encoded a short clip, removed 3ivx, and it would not play. I'm pretty sure you need to change the FourCC of the video to match apple's mpeg4 code. Anyways, it isn't worth the hassle.

And I'm pretty sure (absolutely sure) that you're wrong. My encoded videos play just fine on a virgin install of QuickTime, in a .mov container or in a .mp4 container (exported from the .mov via passthrough). It works on virgin installs of QuickTime for Windows too. As long as you don't select the 2 advanced options in the middle row, the video will play back just fine in QuickTime with the Apple decoder.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    In my experience Eugene is right it can make clean MP4. Apple should include it with QT or QT Pro for Mac and PC, it's so great I can't believe it's free and isn't being used more, it's the best codec I've seen.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    You have always been able to use apple's codec to play 3ivx. It was just a pain. I guess you don't need 3ivx installed now provided you weren't using the quantizer options. It still would be ideal if it was in the component download program though.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

In my experience Eugene is right it can make clean MP4. Apple should include it with QT or QT Pro for Mac and PC, it's so great I can't believe it's free and isn't being used more, it's the best codec I've seen.

Actually, I take that back...in most cases, 3ivx is better than Sorenson MPEG-4 Pro. In cases where there is lots and lots of motion...like a spotter camera in a chase scene, then Sorenson MPEG-4 Pro seems to do a bit better.

3ivx is much faster at encoding though, so I wonder if it could be optimized for even better quality, but slower encodes...
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Hey since I downloaded this latest version I was dissapointed with the quality. Well since I had just downloaded the previoues version like a week before I had used it only in Cleaner 6 the preovious version seemed better in quality. Since I had only tried ver 4.5 in Final Cut 3 it was not very good. But then I tried it in Cleaner and it was way better.

Why is it that much better in Cleaner than in Final Cut Pro??

The 3ivx component should allow for the same quality for both programs.

Overall it the best codec i've used in my limited time using these programs.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Hey is there a way to export 3ivx straght for Final Cut at the same quality of Cleaner 6. That extra step is really a waste of time
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I don't understand why you wouldn't just use QT Pro and use Export in the menu.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Well cause I don't have Quicktime Pro.

What can you do with Quicktime Pro anyway ?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Wow. A LOT. This simple little item called "Export..." in File Menu is very powerful and you can add any number of codecs like 3ivx besides the included vast array. How can you own such expensive software and not QT Pro which is $39 IIRC. In fact it's included in most Apple apps, right? It kind of has to be, if you have Final Cut you probably have Pro. Being able to cut and paste in the Player is quick and dirty and indispensible, I use it all the time for projects and QT is a great container since it can open, edit, then export almost every format. 3ivx makes it compatible with any modern divx format (some of those pirated movies won't work right with audio but they aren't encoded right anyway.) Plus you can finally have Full Screen, Cmd F... That's kind of cheesy they make you pay for Full Screen but anywho...enjoy QT Pro.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Yes I heard it's the swiss army knife of video editing, but I never really though nothing of it. Your right some of the simple things take time to do in Final Cut it's probably easier to QTP and export from there.

Okay last question how do I add a Flash Track in one of my movies ?

Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    It's called Cleaner for a reason. It takes your exported source video and CLEANS it. It has extra options like adaptive noise reduction, optimizing for file size, better deinterlacing, etc. There's no way you can avoid it.