Watch your G*d**mn language motherf**ker!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Censorship. Don't like it.

...perhaps I should be more specific

Over time I've noticed various levels of self censorship among the colorful netizens that frequent the internet and use any of the wonderful forms of electronic communication at their disposal (this is mostly referring to, but not limited to bulletin boards). There are those people that censor themselves all the time, some of the time, those whose language is filtered out but don't really care, and then there are guys that try to find loopholes in the infernal filtering software that blocks the manholes over the sewer that is their vocabulary, to allow the collective to become aware of the fact that they are, in fact, pottymouthed badasses.

In these groups there are subsets. Those people that censor words like "d*ng", "cr*p" or "g*sh d*rnit!" and the types that, during a civil discussion about favorite pizza toppings, will voice abhorrence to the opinion used in a previous post using phrases like "pencil-dicked motherfücker" and "bloody cunt-faced whore".

This led me to wondering: "why do people censor themselves?". I'm not a big fan of censorship, offense is not necessarily the fault of the author, but the observer and his/her mental conditioning, disposition, choice, etc (unless it deals with food toppings). But this isn't a discussion of how appropriate the wet bits on the female body are, or certain simple vocalizations. That's not really the point of this. The point is, censorship is basically one person preventing the information divulged by another from being made known by others because they find it offensive (at least in the form I'm referring to here). So when someone censors themselves, it means that in a way, they disagree with their own use of language (okay, this is a stretch but humor me), they disagree with themselves. Part of them wants to be badass, another wants to be civil and non-offensive. F*ck still means fück, the essence remains the same. Some will still be offended because the intent is the same, some will get pissed off 'cause you left out the stupid vowel and it looks like ass.

So do you censor yourself, and if so, why (or why not)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

shit yeah
  • Reply 2 of 20
    That's good to hear. Don't want to poison the minds of the young do we?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Fückin' right.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I don't like the fact that when I write fûck, you see all smilies. But hey, that's what you've inherited from your culture. No fûck, shit, cunt, motherfûcker, cocksucker or fûck me should be heard anywhere, especially in prime time entertainment. It's a large debate, in which both sides doubtlessly have some good points to make. I'm happy my own country isn't that hard up. In my opinion: loosening up on these issues makes these bad words lose their significance, their ladenness, and will make these words eventually lose their appeal. Yes, the forbidden fruit theory, so golden in permissive Europe. Now let me smoke my depenalized joint.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I am not sure I understand your post correctly, but the only reason I sometimes write "fook" or "fark" or "fekk" instead of... well you know... is because I tire of placing an asterisk in place of the c. For example FU*K YOU!

The reality is I probably swear more than I need to, but there are times when a well-placed "you've got to be fekking kidding me!" are warranted IMO. Sometimes these words just have a more powerful effect than "gosh darnit you done tried to pull the whool over my eyes!"

But I'm certainly not censoring myself or ashamed... damnit.

By the way, I'll be changing my signature now, to:

"Now let me go smoke my depenalized joint."

Good stuff. Pun intended.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

fuck no. its fucking obvious what i'm trying to say. and i aint a pussy.

when i think about it, i try to reserve curses for extreme exclamations (that fucking hurt!), but i rarely do that. "shit" i tend to say instead of "things" or "stuff", because i use those entirely too often (what is this shit?). those are the two curse words i use most. unless you consider "damn", "ass" or "bitch" curses. the others, like "cunt" or "pussy" don't have as strong of an effect as calling a chauvanist "woman". "what are you? a fucking woman?" or less immediately-obvious phrases like "get your balls out of your purse".
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I suppose the real question should be, "Are a circumflex man?", to whit 'fûck,' or do you prefer the umlaut ('fück') to get round the ing AI cens-o-matic system?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    I'm a fückin' umlaut mi' self.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Fuck.

For the uninitiated, that is:

Fu [ i ] [ b ] [ / i ] [ / b ] ck

without the spaces.

My god what have I done.

• Reply 10 of 20
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I censor my self in internet or elsewhere to respect others.

I am not interested by listening someone who is only able to shit cunt cum the twat of a dumbass motherer
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Best. Post. EVAR!!!111!!!!11one
  • Reply 12 of 20
    hmmm... AI's censor filters put smilies into links with the F word too, breaking the vBcode

correcting...
  • Reply 13 of 20
    In some circles, profanity is the mark of a poor vocabulary or upbringing,

in much the same way RAH said "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent..."

Any 'potty-mouthed idiot' can throw down the F-bomb,

possibly desensitizing debate or lowering discourse to gutter level.

(Save the heavy ammo for the important stuff and it booms bigger). The Onion rules.

I have more respect for those who can euphemize creatively with a good curse for 'polite company'.

That's not to say Bill Cosby is always funnier than Chris Rock,

but the "shock value" of profanity ain't what it used to be,

and if all you've got is "shock", where's the creative use of language?

Farscape (great SciFi tv) solved the problem by alien curses. Frell and Dren translate Fuk and Shi

Asked why, the writer/creator explained that he has kids but wanted emotional expletives to seem real...

and not get bleeped by the networks or lose syndication opportunities.

Cable and satellite tv seem to offer more 'adult' language because presumably adults ordered them

(defusing the case that innocent kids might be exposed further by late night ratings ramp),

but MPAA restrictions or moralizing by others on appropriate PG13 lives is a harder sell.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Save the heavy ammo for the important stuff and it booms bigger). The Onion rules.

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for those links.

Edit: I said "bottom." Huhuhuh.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    ing Eh!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    fvck is my favorite word
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I like the AI censorship system, it's clever

bah
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I'm not gonna say any "four letter words", but I don't care if anyone else does. The internet is one of the last places that isn't controlled by some ivory tower egghead. I love that it's not censored, I support people's right to say what they want when they want. Down with censorship.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I am not sure I understand your post correctly...

That's probably because I was rambling like an idiot with too many things going on in his fucking head. Trying to say it all at once. I might edit my post later to make it more intelligible, but I'm to lazy to do it now.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    You Evil Bastard!