OfficeX or Open Office for iMac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I need a better text/spreadsheet/etc program than Apple Works (it's OK, but can't open the Word/excel/power point files I need to edit for my computer class) I know X would be the best from a compatability standpoint, but would hate to pay 140 for the student edition. I have heard of Open Office, but don't know much about it, and the reviews I have found are 50/50. Any advice on which one to get?

(1ghz 17" iMac)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Might as well try Open Office first... It's free.

If you don't like it, well, then you can start looking into other (pay) options.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OpenOffice needs X11. And nothing 3rd party will ever be 100% compatible with Microsoft.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

I need a better text/spreadsheet/etc program than Apple Works (it's OK, but can't open the Word/excel/power point files I need to edit for my computer class) I know X would be the best from a compatability standpoint, but would hate to pay 140 for the student edition. I have heard of Open Office, but don't know much about it, and the reviews I have found are 50/50. Any advice on which one to get?

(1ghz 17" iMac)

I've used OpenOffice for a while now, first on my Linux machine, now on my new Mac, before OpenOffice I used StarOffice 5.0. The OpenOffice project is coming along nicely, it is a very functional office suite. I only use word processing/spread sheets very rarely, so for my occasional use (A paper or two every quarter) it is suitable.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like a Mac application (because it isn't), and it doesn't work like a Mac application either. Office compatibility has generally worked quite well for me, I'm able to import pretty much anything. I usually save to PDF if no one else needs to edit. I've not had much luck printing directly, so generally I save to PDF, and print from Preview.

I highly recommend trying OpenOffice, it doesn't cost anything to do so, it is pretty easy to install, You have to have X installed, and then go download the package from openoffice.org. It has a Mac style installer, so it is pretty simple.

-Spyky
  • Reply 4 of 12
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I would recommend Office X. Unless you are a Unix power user, you will probably be freaked out by the X11 environment that OpenOffice requires.

We all have to wait until 2006 for a truly native version unfortunatly.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    What about Think Free Offfice for OSX?

39.99 at amazon.com
  • Reply 6 of 12
    STEP AWAY FROM THE OFFICE SUITE

ThinkFree Office is evil. It would make a good present for someone who you really, REALLY don't like. It is slow, and even when 5 minutes after you click the mouse it responds, it doesn't work.

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

STEP AWAY FROM THE OFFICE SUITE

ThinkFree Office is evil. It would make a good present for someone who you really, REALLY don't like. It is slow, and even when 5 minutes after you click the mouse it responds, it doesn't work.

Barto

$140.00 is a small price to pay for something that you'll be using on a regular basis. plus office X is very nice as far as office apps go, so save yourself the agrivation of dealing with openoffice.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    running with scissors is totally correct on this. NFI why he quoted me though!?

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's called Textedit, can be found in you Applications folder, is free, and opens and saves Word documents perfectly.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

It's called Textedit, can be found in you Applications folder, is free, and opens and saves Word documents perfectly.

only on panther.

i use text edit for letters and openoffice for more intensive things. it works fine for me.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Which is fine, until you want to open an Excel document, as the original poster wants to do.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Hmmph. PowerPoint. Hmmph. Appleworks 6.2 (though not 6.0) can open/save Word & Excel, but not PowerPoint.