please, stop the iMadness

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
don't know if this was ever a thread before, but i just can't take it anymore. i used to love the whole iWhatever craze. it was different, it was apple's. it had prupose. it had character.

now it's frickin' EVERYwhere. and not just apple products. i mean everything seems to borrow the convention.

anyone else finally sick of the iRevolution?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Everyone copies Apple, it's a way of life. When Apple put on the iMac in five delicious colors, the whole world went rainbow. Toasters, other computers, kitchen utensils, guitar tuners. The iMac also started the iWhatever craze that we are still having today. It'll go away because people **cough** MICROSOFT **cough**, are now going after brushed metal. If it's not one thing, it's another. Get used to it. Apple is one of the most innovative companies in the world, not just with computers either. The design is beautiful, the OS is stunning. When things are beautiful and stunning, they get copied.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, even apple is guilty of doing it too much. i mean, does iSync really NEED the "i"? then again, since it syncs via the internet, it may be the best candidate to have "i" in the title, if you believe the old "i is for internet" thing steve said back in '98. but iDVD? iPod? iBook? then iBlog? iThis, iThat...

• Reply 3 of 21
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    I wouldnt call it innovation.. I would call it fashion.

Of course, whatever Apple is doing, we should label it as innovation. Like, when Apple opens some online store, or when some university slaps together 2000 G5s, it should be labeled as innovation. And of course, we wouldnt use that word if some other company did the same thing.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Nobody called it innovation. The point was made that Apple is innovative in many ways and so they are watched and copied, nobody claimed that 2000 G5s was innovative or an online store is innovative. However translucent colored electronics were since nobody had done them before.

On topic, I don't really see it. I don't see translucent crap anymore and while Microsoft's almost blatant attempts to make their UI look like System X is worth a laugh I don't see it anywhere else.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

don't know if this was ever a thread before, but i just can't take it anymore. i used to love the whole iWhatever craze. it was different, it was apple's. it had prupose. it had character.

now it's frickin' EVERYwhere. and not just apple products. i mean everything seems to borrow the convention.

anyone else finally sick of the iRevolution?

iAgree
  • Reply 6 of 21
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    iStill think it's cute. But what the hell do iKnow?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    iDon't think iHave been affected by it too much.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    iCONFIRMED! Apple to rename itself iApple, rebrand PowerBook and PowerMac as "iBook Pro" and "iMac Pro".

i
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

iCONFIRMED! Apple to rename itself iApple, rebrand PowerBook and PowerMac as "iBook Pro" and "iMac Pro".

i
  • Reply 10 of 21
    wow, get with the times man, the i prefix has been around for at least 3 years in mainstream everywhere.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Eye'm not so fond of the iFad myself.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blabla

Like, when Apple opens some online store, or when some university slaps together 2000 G5s, it should be labeled as innovation. And of course, we wouldnt use that word if some other company did the same thing.

I am not sure it was call innovation but the 1100 G5s got so much press because of how powerful it was for the price, the AMAZING speed in which it was setup, and that it only needed student labor to setup, unlike that texas school that got all those PC's and ended up getting help from Cray to set them up.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The i stands for intuitive.

Or innovative.

Or indiscriminate to race, gender or sexual orientation.

That's what iThink.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    When it was first used didn't Jobs say something like 'The i is for internet, because we all know what's important now, the internet.' ?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

When it was first used didn't Jobs say something like 'The i is for internet, because we all know what's important now, the internet.' ?

yeah, it was something like that. albeit, at the time, the first prototype imacs had a 36.6 modem inside. before official launch, they bumped it up to baseline 56k, to show commitment to the "i".

maybe it's all the other smaller developers, too. iMean, go to macupdate or versiontracker, tack on a leading "i" to ANY word you can imagine, and there is probably a software product that someone is trying to sell by that name.

heck, if the "i" is for internet, then the ipod has never really made sense. isight sorta works, since it works with ichat, and both work over the internet. but then they made it sorta-for-consumers, with the distinction between ibook and powerbook, or imac and powermac.

i dunno, it's like the naming convention equivalent of brushed metal... seems to be popping up everywhere, especially in smaller developers who think it's cool without really thinking about it, and then even apple has a hard time deciding where it should be used.

then again, i havn't got any better ideas... \
  • Reply 16 of 21
    ay carumba.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Well it was for internet on the original iMacs, but since they were such a success it become know to differentiate consumer from pro models...just like powermac is to imac. If there is an 'i' in front of it, it is for joe average. Which I don't see how it really fits the iPod...where the hell is the PowerPod
  • Reply 18 of 21
    maybe the i in iPod was there to imply that you can play music that you download from the internet. P2P was a craze back when they launched the iPod.

so iPod works... internet[music]Pod
  • Reply 19 of 21
    P2P is still the craze.. 5 million kazaa users can't be wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

iStill think it's cute. But what the hell do iKnow?

iUsed (he he_ to write like that, until RadRafe complained (on the XvsXP.com forum, but I stopped doing it on all the forums.)

iDoubt iThink iLike

I doubt I think I like.

I now do the latter.