CONFIRMED: Apple tablet!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From MOSR:

Quote:

As far as we are aware, Apple has no active development projects for a tablet-type device. It does not plan to deviate from the basic computer types (pro tower, desktops, laptops, rackmount servers) for the foreseeable future, when it comes to Macs. Its non-computer devices will essentially be appliances, full-blown computer alternatives like hand-helds, cell phones, or tablets.

Okay, I couldn't resist (lock thread if you must...sorry).

It's just that when you consider how completely WRONG MOSR is about everything they ever publish, then their assertion above can only mean one thing: Apple iTablet at MWSF!!!

You can just about bet the farm on this one, guys!

Again, apologies in advance to anyone misled by my thread headline and possible content...it was only done in the spirit of humor and a few chuckles. I'll be good now. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    WTF do you even read MOSR? I don't think I've contributed to their hit count in several years.

Barto
  • Reply 2 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Lighten up...I read all kinds of stuff: ThinkSecret and AppleInsider for serious, possible rumors. And CrazyAppleRumors and MOSR for giggles (intentional and otherwise).
  • Reply 3 of 20
    And anyone who clicks on that PayPal link over at MOSR should have his or her head examined....
  • Reply 4 of 20
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

And anyone who clicks on that PayPal link over at MOSR should have his or her head examined....

No! Rather that person should be instantly put out of its misery. Why waste good money on a psychologist when quite clearly that person is beyond threatment.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Apple will be giving out Alka Seltzer tablets to all who go to the retail stores the day after Thanksgiving. So, in a way it true!
  • Reply 6 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
  • Reply 7 of 20
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    To ban, or not to ban, that is the question.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Where have you been lately, Fran?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Where have you been lately, Fran?

He has been lurking some dual around here
  • Reply 10 of 20
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

Only admins can ban AFAIK, silly.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Pulling this from the quote:

Quote:

As far as we are aware, Apple has no active development projects for a tablet-type device.... Its non-computer devices will essentially be appliances, full-blown computer alternatives like...tablets.

Er, so which is it? And when is a tablet not a tablet?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Yes-No-Yes-NO!

Que Aries 1B's tragic trip back to Tablet Rehab....

Aries 1B
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    maybe I'm an easy get - but you got me on that one pscates.

Grrrr - I guess I'm wishing too hard for a new type of consumer device - that $750 (?) mystery product rumour still has me baffled.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    No, don't ban me. I'll be good.

Besides, there are about 23 people who are due for a good bannin' before you start hanging ol' Paul out to dry.

I think I'll stick around. And I think you know banning a swell guy such as myself would spell the end for this place. Then END, I tell ya!

Okay, no more joke/fake threads from me...but that was just too good to pass up, though. You gotta allow me a once-a-year "gimme"!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Who are the 23 bannees, then PSCates?

\

I don't think we can rule out further iPod digital appliance stuff from Apple.

If Jobs himself said he wanted Apple to be the 'Sony' of the computer world...I'd read alot into that.

Nobody expected an iPod. Now it's here. Selling loads and taking Apple 'beyond the box'.

Exactly what's next? I don't know. If Apple's competitors knew they'd copy it.

Tablets? I can why Apple didn't plunge in first this time. Hundreds of millions in burned money on the Newton. That 'scribbly thing'. Jobs quote.

Clearly, tablets aren't near Star Trek quality yet. They are 'vague', a bit fidly and clumsy. If they ultimate tablet is to be made? I figure Apple would be the one to do it. But it won't come with lots of fiddly buttons like most of the garbage out there.

Jobs said they aint doing a phone or tablet. I tend to believe jobs when he says things. Except when he says users aren't concerned with price.

They are, Mr. Jobs. Trust me.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 16 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    PRICE!!! (right on Bon Bon! )

Speaking of Star Trek, there are some smart cookies writing that schlock. Ever notice the size of the average "Next Generation" tablet? A5, that's right about half an A4/letter size sheet. Interesting no? What I've been arguing a tablet needs to be to have any advantage over a notebook.

Interestingly I've spotted a rumor that Sony and others are trying to bake up a tablet out of the palm OS. Personally I think this is a more fruitful avenue than the bulky kludge known as TabletPC. The OS is suited to on the go interaction, it is very slim and can run well on a low power RISC chip of 150-300Mhz so that with a larger battery you will measure battery life in days rather than hours. Also, after having tried 480x320 screens in the 3.25-4" size, I find them highly readable. Quadrupling the screen size to 960x640, or thereabouts (perhaps 1024x600), in a 7-8" size, would still be highly usable in a true tablet application.

You'd never want that from a notebook, but in a tablet with an OS built around larger UI elements, and THAT YOU HOLD A LOT CLOSER TO YOUR FACE than a computer screen, it's OK, and worth it for reading web pages/PDFs in a pinch.

Stir in wireless I/O, firewire/USB sync-charging, a 1.8" HDD, and a suite of media/file reading applications with a good browser, and you've got a true tablet.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Pulling this from the quote:

quote:

As far as we are aware, Apple has no active development projects for a tablet-type device.... Its non-computer devices will essentially be appliances, full-blown computer alternatives like...tablets.

Er, so which is it? And when is a tablet not a tablet?

I think it was a typo. It should have said "Its non-computer devices will essentially be appliances, NOT full-blown computer alternatives like...tablets.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Derrick 61

I think it was a typo. It should have said "Its non-computer devices will essentially be appliances, NOT full-blown computer alternatives like...tablets.

Ah, now you just took the fun out of it.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Hey, pscates!

Am I on your list of 23?

Did I make the cut?

• Reply 20 of 20
    Nah...