Deaf, Dumb, and Blind

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just saw a very moving documentary about the life of Billie Sinclair entitled "The Journey"

The Journey is a passionate and moving story based on the life of the extraordinary Billie Sinclair. Billie has been deaf since the age of two and lost his sight at age ten - he never learned to speak. His experience of the world is one of touch, smell, imagination and memory. Despite these obstacles, 74 year old Billie is a world-traveller, and in this film goes on a journey to Japan; he rides a on roller coaster, tries his hand at Judo and visits a deaf and blind acupuncturist. The Journey achieves a miraculous thing; it transports those possessed of all their senses into a world where communication is by touch alone. A captivating, visually compelling account of a remarkable man.

Details

H Winner of the Gold Hugo at the Chicago International Film Festival, 1996

Running Time: 1 x 52 min.

Year of Production: 1992

Produced by: Insomnia Film Television Software PL

Producers: Christopher Tuckfield, Patricia L''Huede

Writer/Director: Christopher Tuckfield

The program had me take inventory of how I see the world and yet again take stock of what is important. I would highly recommend a study into this man if you are not familiar with him. I was not familiar with him before the program but he has made an impact in my life after viewing the documentary. Billie is a graceful man who can teach us all a very meaningful lesson.

World Link TV Link

Have you ever thought about how life would be for you if you were unable to hear or see?

Your thoughts,

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I will look out for it if it comes to television around here.

When I was a student of Ed Psych I spent time with various schools set up specifically for the visually & hearing impaired. It was a revelation..& until I went there, I really had no real idea as to the difficulties these students have to overcome.

I am also reminded of the words of Helen Keller ( American Educator ) who was once asked if there was anything worse than being blind ?

To which she replied...

" Something worse than being blind? Yes, having the use of ones' eyes, but no vision to go with it "
  • Reply 2 of 7
    You guys REALLY need to have your own forum.

"Aquafire & Fellowship Fuzzy Love Snuggle Forum"

My god.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clayton Magnet

My god.

One hopes so...

Besides which AO is a good training ground for the real world..

or is it the other way around....
  • Reply 4 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Indeed. There *has* been an aire of warm fuzziness in AO lately. Scares me, but I have to say it's better than constant bang-your-head-against-the-wall-bickering that we've all been accustomed to. To a point....

Now who's got the Hefty bag of miracle joints to pass around?

• Reply 5 of 7
    i went to college at RIT, one of the National Testing Institutes for the Deaf, and the deaf population was (I'm guessing here) about 20-30%. It was pretty interesting to see, as I and most of my classmates hadn't been around the hearing impaired that much. A lot of classes have interpretters. It's not as hard up as deaf, dumb and blind, but i hear that triplet helps your pinball skills.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

My god.

• Reply 7 of 7
    and here i thought this was a discussion on the rock opera tommy. bummer.