Differences between 30GB and 20-40GB iPods?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a line on two new 30GB iPods that were lost in the back of a warehouse prior to the advent of the new models. Besides capacity, are there any differences between the previous 30Gb unit and the 20-40GB units that replaced it? Anything by way of accessory bundle, or electronic differences?

There are exactly two left, a friend is holding them off the shelf so no one comes in to buy them. If I want it, I can get for the price of a 20GB unit. The one problem is that it may be a Windows unit -- can I flash this to make it a mac unit, or perhaps some third party utility to make it simultaneously win/mac compatible?

I think it's not a bad a deal, they're both new units with the warrantee -- a retail chain that shall remain nameless managed to lose them and then find them again. If we don't buy them, they're going on the shelf as "discontiued" stock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    <speculation>

Except for the 30GB being thicker then the 20 (I think) it isn't a big deal. Did the 30 GB have a dock connection? Also if it's PC it isn't a problem it will work for you, there are things to change it...but I'm not even sure that you have to.

You expected a close speculation tag but no no, that is all my posts are so you will never see one, just more embedded
  • Reply 2 of 7
    From my understanding, the hard drive size is the only thing that differentiates the old 30 GB iPods and the new 20/40 GB iPods.

As far as Mac or Windows goes, all new iPods are cross platform (meaning, all iPods since the 10/15/30 batch). What I believe happens is that it starts as a Mac iPod, and if you use it on Windows, you go through some sort of setup procedure that reformats the iPod for Windows use.

If this is all wrong, it's because I still have a first generation 5 GB iPod. I'm old-school now.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    the 30 is the same physical size as the 40 and both are a bit bigger then the 20, 15, and 10. EVERYTHING ELSE about them is the same.

also there are no "Mac" iPods and "PC" iPods anymore... they all come in the same box...

30 gig for 399 doesn't sound bad at all...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    What's the deal with the other one? You don't need two iPods do you? I'm lookin at a 20gig, but if I could get a 30 for that price...hmmmm. Is the other one for sale too?

To answer your question, the only difference is the weight and size. The 30 and the newer 40 are a little larger and heavier because of the larger HD. Other than that, same iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Both gone.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Speaking of thickness, how much thicker is the 40 versus the 10/20 really? I've seen the stats on the two units but not used the two side by side. Anyone have experience with this?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Speaking of thickness, how much thicker is the 40 versus the 10/20 really? I've seen the stats on the two units but not used the two side by side. Anyone have experience with this?

Minimal. Very small difference. only .11 inches (if your in the US) You can figure out CM or whatnot if your not here. The weight is a bit different. Either way they are both very slim and light. Great product.