Should Apple Build Speakers Into New Cinema Displays?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The thread's title asks it all...

I'm looking at a studio flat panel display at the moment, and all the wasted space around the frame. I'm thinking they could build some speakers in there, and then offer a subwoofer optionally, or as a kit?

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    no

waste of resources... they already have speakers built into the computers....

if you want better speakers... buy them...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    No matter what, with display/speaker combinations you will compromise either:

-the quality of the speakers

-the visual integrity of the display

Most audio/video pros and prosumers prefer the wide assortment of qulaity third-party speakers. I've been very disappointed with Apple's speaker offereings over the years and I doubt they'll ever make them much better. Besides, do we really need Apple displays to cost more than they already do?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I wouldn't want the addes cost, size, or weight from the speakers.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I think people who are interested in sound out of their machines typically have separate speakers anyway. I absolutely love my (now old) Monsoon MM-500 speakers (subwoofer + 2 satellites). I would hate to have to position both of my satellites that close together - it would lose some of the fantastic stereo separation they produce...
  • Reply 5 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think an extra pair of minijacks might have been cool for headphones, but with front panel ports on the G5, the convenience of that is diminished,
  • Reply 6 of 23
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    no they shouldn't ...
  • Reply 7 of 23
    resres Posts: 711member
    No, they should not. I hate monitors with built in speakers -- CRT or Flat Panel. They add to bulkiness and sound terrible.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    nope.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    I hope they don't. I would rather add a top-quality speaker system and preserve individual component integrity. Apple is pro equipment. A display should just be a display, and not try to be a sound system as well. Otherwise, you are heading in the direction of the Media Center PC-a heap of mediocre junk that can't decide what it is for.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I think you have your answer...

I had an Apple display with speakers way back, don't remember the model number. Speakers sounded like hell, and I soon wished I had gotten a separate sound system. It sounds good in theory having the speakers built in, but doesn't really work out.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

I think you have your answer...

I had an Apple display with speakers way back, don't remember the model number. Speakers sounded like hell, and I soon wished I had gotten a separate sound system. It sounds good in theory having the speakers built in, but doesn't really work out.

I can only think of two off the top of my head...

AppleVision 1710AV?

Apple Multiscan 15AV?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    i had an AppleVision with speakers...
  • Reply 13 of 23
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

The thread's title asks it all...

I'm looking at a studio flat panel display at the moment, and all the wasted space around the frame. I'm thinking they could build some speakers in there, and then offer a subwoofer optionally, or as a kit?

Your thoughts?

Do you mean that I can have speakers integrated into my monitor rather than having to rely on my Logitech Z-680 5.1 system to reproduce sound? Apple, get with the program!
  • Reply 14 of 23
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    I think not! The sound would suffer. If you really want good sound, buy separate speakers. The compromise made by putting the speakers in the Apple display would not be worth it. Even the Apple Pro Speakers would sound better than those included in this mess.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    I think Apple could come up with some excellent, kick-ass speakers you would attach to or sit on the desk next to your Cinema display. Say in partnership with someone like Bose.

That would be cool.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Well, They partnered with Harmon Kardon, who currently makes all Apple speakers, including the "Pro Speakers" and the "Sound Sticks" which both match the displays to one degree or another. The problem with all Apple speakers has always been that they're too quiet. Apple also partnered with Bose, years ago, to make the speakers for the Twentieth Century Macintosh, for a mere $7000, or something like that. It was also too quiet for real musical indulgance. Uncle Steve must have hypersensitive hearing though I've heard he has a $150,000 stereo in his living room.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

I think Apple could come up with some excellent, kick-ass speakers you would attach to or sit on the desk next to your Cinema display. Say in partnership with someone like Bose.

That would be cool.

hehe, I don't think they would get much quality out of Bose. Bose is all about marketing, no substance. I could go on, just don't think of Bose as a quality brand.

Harmon Kardon is a much better partner.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I have mixed feelings on speakers built into displays. My initial thought is to include the speakers, because I like to limit the number of devices on my desk. External speakers unnecessarily add to a cluttered environment. OTOH, I just bought a 17" LCD (a ThinEdge Viewsonic) without integrated speakers, and have no regrets. I don't use my computers for music, and the tinny built-in speakers are just fine for the occasional startup or error sound.

I'd like to see "reflective" speakers integrated behind an LCD monitor, so as not to increase bulk (as seen from the front). That's what the PowerBook 3400 series had for the subwoofer.

Escher
  • Reply 19 of 23
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    NO!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    No because speakers would get in the way of offering a deliciously minimalist thin-bezeled aluminum look.

No crappy sounding speakers to screw up the design please.