iPod - What's the next step?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
iPod is selling great right now, and Apple's marketing campaign for it is bigger than any I have ever seen them do. Billboards and ads in train stations are EVERYWHERE here.

there was even an ad during saturday's Big Game in Stanford Stadium and every replay on the big screen had an apple logo superimposed on the bottom right.

But, after this fall, most people who wanted the iPod as is, will have one. It's THE thing to get this Christmas. But after that what will Apple's gimmick be to get people to buy one or more important...upgrade?

I don't see video being important. People aren't asking for video playback capabilities......on the iPod

Battery life isn't a complaint I hear.

Size seems to be good.

Is the iPod perfect?

What I would like to see is:

1. inclusion of a car kit.....perhaps built-in FM transmitting. everyone hear seems to want FM playback...i want the opposite. this would make the iPod more "worth the price" since it seems to have multiple uses now

2. Bluetooth for wireless headphones. The wires on headphones have annoyed me more than anything else when it comes to the iPod or any other portable music player.

3. Different colors....yes....I want a blue or black iPod....or a graphite

4. Line-in built-in..... make the analog sound out capable of being switched to sound in so it can be used to record without adapters.

5. Include 20-50 Free iTunes Music Store Downloads with Purchase

any other ideas of small changes that could result in getting people to finally go for an iPod?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think you answered the question in the title...the iPod needs to be able to walk around...iPod+Aibo or iPod+Asimo!
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Multiple colors is a good idea. Apple's done the white thing for a while, and with the iPod, where lots of people in one groupd may have one, different colors will be welcome.

Bluetooth is not fast enough for good quality audio. It's fine for a cell phone, but it can't handle 44.1k stereo.

I think the iPod will steadily gain space and features, mostly through software updates and perhipherials. Here's a few things I see as possible:

Buy tunes at an Apple store: Bring your iPod to an Apple store and download songs to it. Play them right away on the iPo and trasnfer them to your computer later.

Bluetooth: Even though it's not good for audio, it can be used to sync contacts and calendars, transfer small files (photos and voice memos from phones). It would also enable remote controls without an add-on.

Burn CD's: I've always wanted to be able to hook up a firewire CD burner and burn CD's right from my iPod. I might be the only one though.

Video: I think a video iPod is possible with the current rev. The iPod doesn't have enough horsepower to decode mpeg video, so video will require an add-on, but that should be simple since it'll just be firewire. The only thing you need after the I/O is a user interface. It could be placed on the video unit (which would than make it work with any FireWire HD), or the interface could be on the iPod, making the video interface cheaper, and giving a large advantage to the iPod. I see no reason why Apple wouldn't help someone like Belkin or Griffin implement this.

FM reciever: I'd really like to see this.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    kit for a car, then you can easily take it with you, or partner with an electronics firm to make an indash connections, or where the ipod can slide into the unit, apple needs a very clean looking, versatile in car solution it would be ahead of others and continue to march
  • Reply 4 of 38
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spankalee

Bluetooth is not fast enough for good quality audio. It's fine for a cell phone, but it can't handle 44.1k stereo.

Bluetooth is plent fast enough.

MP3s/AACs max out at 320K/sec....... isn't bluetooth 400+?

only issue may be AIFF playback
  • Reply 5 of 38
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    hmm...just realized the bit rate is probably greater going to the headphones since the MP3/AAC has already been decoding in the iPod

\
  • Reply 6 of 38
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I doubt Apple would want to get into the whole "colors" thing with the iPod: a) probably a logistical/manufacturing pain-in-the-butt compared to a simple "let's keep it all white, fellas..." approach and b) all those little companies out there (several of which regularly advertise in the back pages of Macworld) seem to have the whole "iPod personalization/customization" racket sewn up: sleeves, covers, carrying cases, etc.

That one company offers about a gazillion colors of wraparound sleeves that still expose the iPod display and controls. I'd imagine - for most people - that's close enough for "colors". Anyone truly, truly needing a lime green, gray or salmon-colored iPod can pretty much get it from one of these guys.

I doubt Apple would want the headache that might accompany the whole manufacturing/warehousing/distribution logistics of iPods in an array of colors.

Been there, done that.

I do, however, REALLY think some sort of wireless headphone/earbud/wraparound earpiece thing is important! I can't tell you how many times I've nearly yanked my ear off when using my friend's iPod and turning my head or otherwise positioning myself in a way that instantly reminds me "hey...you've got wires encircling your head, dumbass...be careful with those sudden moves!"

At some point, the whole capacity thing is going to have to level out. I mean, can Apple simply continue to bump the iPod up twice a year in 20GB increments, resulting in 100-160GB iPods in the coming 18 or so months? Do most people have anywhere NEAR that kind of music library? I seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt it. A small handful of hardcore music freaks and audiophiles, perhaps. But they're definitely in the minority I would think.

Dang, maybe the iPod - minus a couple of small tweaks in the headphone wires department - is indeed "perfect"? Can't get any smaller or slimmer, I would imagine. Battery life is great. Ease of use can't be beat. Capacity is ever-increasing. Acceossories by Apple and others give it tons of usefulness.

I don't know.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    I would love to be able to link my digital camera up to my iPod via Firewire cable so that all pictures I take will automatically be stored on on the harddrive. The reason for this is pretty simple, with teh expanded storage available on the iPod you can take a greater number of pictures at higher resolution plus you wouldn't have to worry about dumping your memory card during your event. Thoughts?
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleLuva

I would love to be able to link my digital camera up to my iPod via Firewire cable so that all pictures I take will automatically be stored on on the harddrive. The reason for this is pretty simple, with teh expanded storage available on the iPod you can take a greater number of pictures at higher resolution plus you wouldn't have to worry about dumping your memory card during your event. Thoughts?

i like this idea...

i wish for an iPod that is simply more durable...waterproof or splashproof at least...able to withstand a 4 ft drop would be nice...
  • Reply 9 of 38
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    The lack of the following feature set is holding me back from purchasing presently:

1. Colour screen

2. Bluetooth - for remote control of computer (think DVD player or Keynote presentation) & for iCal and Address Book sync (you may not always want to update your playlists, so Bluetooth should be able to handle these small PDA type syncs)

3. Built-in audio input (no adapters)

4. Integration with iPhoto (increases in HD size would indicate that this could be a possibility)

and, wish-list stuff (not vital):

1. as AppleLuva said, the ability to d/l photos drectly from your digital camera, without the need for an external card reader.

2. Built-in laser light pointer (for Keynote presentations - you could use the iPod for clicking through slides and then point to the relevant data on screen)

3. Heck, why not be able to store a Keynote presentation on the iPod itself and then hook it up to a projector... hold on scrap that, overkill.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:

Nah........ you can just use this .

If the iPod were to expand.... I think the next logical step would be a color screen. And I think that photos would be the main purpose for this (at first)..... in conjunction with iPhoto. Later I see video...........
  • Reply 11 of 38
    wrong, dead wrong folks...

- better battery life

- lower cost

- better recording ability

- better "on the road" playlists

the ipod has been about getting better at the functionality that it has always done.

how would a color screen make it's core functionality better? it simply wouldn't and would only detract from the battery life.

na
  • Reply 12 of 38
    my dreams for a bluetooth iPod:

cell phone notification

when i want to listen to my iPod, i have to turn my cell phone onto vibrate. otherwise, while listening to music, i'm never able to hear the ringer. not a terrible problem, but i don't always notice the vibrate, or i forget to set it to vibrate.

my proposed feature... when your bluetooth cell phone rings, it'll pause the music you're listening to, and ring through your headphones. (a bit like how iTunes fades out and pauses when you're receiving an iChat audio or video chat.) the caller id info would show up on the ipod display. maybe even add a feature in which, if you click the center button, it picks up and tells the caller to hold, so you've got time to find your cell phone before the voicemail picks up (mine always gets stuck in my pocket, while i struggle to get it out in time).

bluetooth car stereo

okay.. here's my longshot... but it's the type of thing that only apple would do, so.. i have some hope. i'd like to see apple work with a car stereo maker on a bluetooth receiver for the iPod. bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to send full cd quality sound. but it does have the bandwidth to send the compressed file. the iPod would simply act as a wireless file server, the stereo would decompress the file instead of the iPod. no more FM transmiter or tape adapter... perfect cd quality sound, with the iPod as your remote. yeah, it might be expensive, but a seamless, wireless, high quality iPod->car solution is what i've been waiting for since the iPods first came out, and i'd imagine most driving iPod users feel the same way.

bluetooth dock/home stereo adapter

basically same as the car stereo, but for connecting to a home stereo. again, decompressing would be done within the dock.

is this necessary? why not just leave the iPod in the dock when i'm home? i personally love the idea of the iPod acting as a remote control. the scroll wheel is designed to work with the ipod in your hand.. it doesn't work so well when it's sitting on the dock. i wouldn't buy a bluetooth iPod just for this feature, but if they were to add bluetooth anyway, it'd be a nice added benefit.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Same here! I don't like the bulkiness of the Belkin solution. And with a simple FireWire-connection between the iPod and the camera, there would be no need for a power supply.

Other improvements I could think of:

- improved battery life/lifetime

- shorter charging times

- more cache

- better responsiveness (sometimes I occur a multi-second gap between two successing songs)

- BT cellphone connectivity (would require a microphone - could be put into the remote): using your iPod as headset, pausing playback

- make contacts transferable via BT

- improved recording

- some sort of display/battery life indicator on the remote would be nice, too

But that's about it. Since video playback/recording would require too much battery and CPU power, I don't really see that coming. A desireable feature could be to use the iPod as container for video files - your new VCR tape. But since commercial DVDs are not supposed to be copied or even ripped to your computer this implies an illegal use.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    vr6vr6 Posts: 77member
    Two things:

Priority 1: Really good car integration for factory installed equipment. This means an interface to the amplifier, ability to be controlled using steering wheel controls, and a nice mount for the car. Also, some matching "snap-on" covers to go with the interior of a car. I want brushed aluminum to go with the brushed aluminum I paid for in my BMW.

I'm sure wood and black plastic would match the interior of most luxury vehicles and red or green velvet would complement Cadillacs

I think this would open the market up to a much more mature (and wealthier) group. No executive is going to walk around with headphones and a white walkman, but he sure would hook up his entire CD collection to his Harman Kardon BMW upgraded stereo for which he already paid $900CDN. (At least this one would).

Priority 2: iPhoto integration. Simply an ability to import the iPhoto library and be able to connect the iPod to a TV and play a slide show (with music of course).
  • Reply 15 of 38
    I Think we see new hardware of Apple at MacWorld in relation to the WozNet technology. Connecting people to eachother and people to interesting things (product and peds). See also Wheel of Zues.

Is anyone know what the status is of this Wheel of Zues -business that Steve Wozniak is developing?

I think this could be nice for Apple
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Battery life isn't a complaint I hear.

Au contraire mon frere:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_c...d=2051_0_7_0_C

The next iPod needs not only longer lasting batteries, but also user-replaceable ones. Cell phones, digicams, and PDA's have them, there's no reason iPod shouldn't, even if it does slightly mar the smooth stainless steel finish somewhat. Getting the battery replaced for $99 plus shipping every 18 months sucks.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    would apple care which is now available for the ipod take care of that???
  • Reply 18 of 38
    How about a built in color camera like that on the Palm Zire thingie or like the cellphones... but since it's hard drive based I'm sure they could squeeze some quality out of it. With RCA out and an the ability to play sample movies like those off a digital camera as well to your TV set (through RCA) to some music. Though I I know the current iteration of iPods lack this functionality and there really is no feasible way to make them do it I think that would be an awesome step in the right direction. As well as all sorts of knick knack possibilities for contacts, to do lists management

oooh and a remote control... remote as in wireless one for those that use it as a stereo compenent.

I wish I could afford one of the current ones tho
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

would apple care which is now available for the ipod take care of that???

In the most rudimentary way, but it's really no excuse for not putting a user-replaceable battery on the thing. Granted it's a more difficult technical design and might even mean a little extra thickness, but I'd be willing to make that tradeoff. I envision something like a cell phone battery, that fits flush with the case, snaps into place, and matches the design of the iPod (eg, stainless steel). iPod owners should be able to buy replacement batteries like that in their local Apple Store or Best Buy for ~$50 - $70 (my best estimate as to how much such a battery would cost), and not have to be subjected to the hassle and inconvenience of mailing their iPod into Apple Care for a $99 replacement service.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    The iPod is too expensive.

It needs to come down $75-$100 across the line.

I mean, $499 for the top end model is a bit outrageous - almost half the cost of the low-end iBook!?! That should be $399.

-Dr.Bimane