Anyone ever run a marathon?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For some reason I decided to look up the SF Marathon today....no idea why.....and now I want to run it.

I've watched the NYC Marathon every year (except this one) for a long time now and have always wanted to run that but never could.

I think I'm at a point where I could, but I'm not sure if I'd have enough time to train for one.

Has anyone ever run a marathon here? How'd you do and what was your experience training and running it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

For some reason I decided to look up the SF Marathon today....no idea why.....and now I want to run it.

I've watched the NYC Marathon every year (except this one) for a long time now and have always wanted to run that but never could.

I think I'm at a point where I could, but I'm not sure if I'd have enough time to train for one.

Has anyone ever run a marathon here? How'd you do and what was your experience training and running it?

How much running experience do you have? If you're starting from scratch it could take a while. It takes about 3 months of quite hard training just to get the blood vessels in your legs ready, then you can start thinking about the distance. You also, If I remember, have huge feet. This just makes things harder.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

I am of the generation who took James Fixx's book "Running" to heart..

My first marathon was notable for how many old ladies went hurtling past me, followed by three legged dogs..haha

But I did get better at it even though my knees thought otherwise...I now have knee troubles..wonder if had anything to do with all that pavement pounding...\
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I've run Chicago twice, Marine Corp once, and the Disney once.

Bare minimum for someone already running 30-40 mi/week: 12 weeks.

If you aren't at that point, add whatever time it's going to take you to build up your base to that (6-8 weeks assuming you are actively running).

If your body isn't running right now, you should take it easy and plan something like 6-9 months, but you should talk with someone who can train you.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Three marathons completed...all locally here in Toronto. Still trying to qualify for Boston, but not quite there yet.

My suggestion in training for your first marathon would be to join a running group. Not so much because you don't know what to do (one can always grab a training schedule off the web), but more for the social aspect.

Once you start getting into longer distances (20+ miles), you'll welcome the presence of others who'll share in your pain.

Many also begin by running a 10K or half marathon first to get their feet wet.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I did an Ironman Triathlon back in 1999, which has a marathon as the run portion of the event.

If you really want to run a marathon while minimizing stress on the musculoskeletal system, try cross training. Frank Shorter once said that you only need 3 good runs a week to be in competitive shape (or something like that). I would do 3 days of running with the other days on a bike or swimming.

I enthusiastically recommend Jeff Galloways book on running for its sensible approach to training. Check it out.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

How much running experience do you have? If you're starting from scratch it could take a while. It takes about 3 months of quite hard training just to get the blood vessels in your legs ready, then you can start thinking about the distance. You also, If I remember, have huge feet. This just makes things harder.

well, I'm on Cal's heavyweight crew team so I'm in fairly good shape and getting stronger and building endurance everyday since we practice 8 times, 6 days a week.

But, we don't do much running at all. Before this I had always run. Did about 3-4 miles a day over the summer. And have run since i was around 12 like that on and off.

My aunt has run marathons before so I'm going to talk to her but people I have asked so far said my body type isn't suitable for it..... not lean enough, legs are too big, feet too big.

I looked at the training tips they had at the SF Marathon website and they had some plans you could follow depending on your goal. Seemed somewhat manageable to me. Basically run 3 days a week with one day being a long piece (would be sundays for me) and the 2 other days being a certain distance at your desired pace and all the other days being cross training....my cross training would be crew.

I was optimistic but, i think am coming back down to earth now. Perhaps I should aim for the half-marathon run they offer.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

well, I'm on Cal's heavyweight crew team so I'm in fairly good shape and getting stronger and building endurance everyday since we practice 8 times, 6 days a week.

But, we don't do much running at all. Before this I had always run. Did about 3-4 miles a day over the summer. And have run since i was around 12 like that on and off.

First of all, you can certainly train to run a marathon, and I'm certain you can do it. You're probably too big to be fast, but if that's not your goal, no big deal.

One thing to note is that rowing muscles can be different than running muscles. Plus, you guys only train like 5k's at a time, right? I like to race the men's heavyweight team here. . . them in the boat, me on land. There's a canal towpath that I run on. . . Believe it or not, running is much faster. Another piece of advice is to avoid treadmills, bikes, and eliptical trainers. There's no substitute for the real thing.

If you decide to go at it, I'd recommend starting at 3mi/day until you can do that pretty easily, and then work your way up to 10 miles every other day. Once you get there, you should start interval training. I think the marathon plan is 10x800m or something, 90sec rest. It might be more 800's, I can't remember.

As far as times, I don't know your limits. Before I fooked my knee (not running related!) I could do 5 miles in about 27-28 mins at 100%, but I don't do marathons. I have a friend who runs a 3:30 marathon who is ridiculously slow at middle distance. I don't think he can run a 10k in under 42mins or so, but I can just barely beat him in the half-marathon, and I think I'd crap myself silly around mile 18 in a full marathon.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    i've watched a sci fi marathon on TV before.

does that count?

a few times i had to run to the bathroom.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

well, 5Ks on the water simply because the reservoir is around 5Ks in distance. But on the ergometer we do various things 3 X 20mins...2 X 30....and 60 min pieces are common for continuous state training. in 60 mins I cover about 15,500K

my goal would be to complete it in less than 5 hours. i have no idea if that is setting the bar low or hard or what.....very unfamiliar with what i should shoot for.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

My aunt has run marathons before so I'm going to talk to her but people I have asked so far said my body type isn't suitable for it..... not lean enough, legs are too big, feet too big.

Makes it more of a challenge. Any plans for training during daylight saving time? (It gets dark around 4pm here...)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    I love to run..I do about 40-50 miles a week, and I try to do a long run (15 miles +) early on a weekend morning. When I concentrate on the combined rhythms of my breathing and the sound of my feet on the trail or pavement, I can get into a state of mind similar to when you meditate.

I have done several marathons (road races)...my goal is to break 3 hours, but so far I've not quite managed that. My favorite place to run is on the trails away from traffic and fumes, especially up mountains but you have to watch out for bears, rattlesnakes and mountain lions here in S. California!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    if p.diddy can do it....so can you

well, of course he had the best trainers and physicians and gear and etc.

but, he was also a lard ass before hand, and had a busted knee.

hrm...I want to run a marathon too someday, 3 friends of mine ran the rock and roll marathon in San diego(i think it was in san diego at least) every 3 miles is a different concert
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

in 60 mins I cover about 15,500K

yeah, there's no way..... that's like 9,000 Miles per hour!

Quote:

my goal would be to complete it in less than 5 hours. i have no idea if that is setting the bar low or hard or what.....very unfamiliar with what i should shoot for

Oprah did it.

5 hours isn't unreasonable target for someone who isn't currently a runner
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i've watched a sci fi marathon on TV before.

does that count?

a few times i had to run to the bathroom.

Depends how fast did you go, and did you get back in time to not miss the starting of the show??
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

yeah, there's no way..... that's like 9,000 Miles per hour!

Oprah did it.

5 hours isn't unreasonable target for someone who isn't currently a runner

lol...15,500 METERS.....haha.

sorry
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Did the Paramus run last oct. completed 5k in 20:58. Plan on trying the NY Marathon Next year. The only thing I don't like is the cold weather that time of year. I know cooler weather is easier on the body, as faster runners are throwing off a lot of heat, but I prefer a good 65 degrees.