20th Anniversery Product?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
1984-2004

Is there going to be a 20th Anniversary Product or just a small celebration at Apple? You thoughts?

I think it'll probably be a limited edition Titanium iMac.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 45
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Wrong 20th MCQ. The one you linked to was for the 20th anniversary of Apple. He is referring to the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    I wasn't actually refering to when apple was founded in 1976 but to when Macintosh was introduced in 1984.

They really got 10,000 a pop for that thing. I wonder how many they sold at that price.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Oops! Sorry
  • Reply 5 of 45
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xXTitaniumXx

I wasn't actually refering to when apple was founded in 1976 but to when Macintosh was introduced in 1984.

They really got 10,000 a pop for that thing. I wonder how many they sold at that price.

Very few.

It dropped in price rather quickly, although even at $3500 there weren't all that many takers.

I don't think Steve is much for anniversaries, but if he does release a 20th anniversary Mac he'll have to come up with a different name, and he'll probably make it more like a "computer for the rest of us" than some unattainable luxury. After all, there's no better way to celebrate the Mac than to exemplify it.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If it's coming, it'll be a computer to kick off the next 20 years.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Although it will never happen, I'd love an Apple-Tiffany collaboration...perhaps a G5 Cube with silver inlay, made in an edition of 1,500 or so, priced at 4 or 5 large. Or maybe a limited edition PowerBook that comes bundled with a custom Louis Vuitton bag. There's got to be 1,499 other people who would buy such a thing...a collectors dream.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Very few.

It dropped in price rather quickly, although even at $3500 there weren't all that many takers.

I don't think Steve is much for anniversaries, but if he does release a 20th anniversary Mac he'll have to come up with a different name, and he'll probably make it more like a "computer for the rest of us" than some unattainable luxury. After all, there's no better way to celebrate the Mac than to exemplify it.

Well considering that all the components that made up the 20th Anniversary Apple Mac are now commodity products, you could see a re-introduction of that design. It still is a beautiful design. However a 20" iMac kind of breathed new life into the iMac. The base already a nice design looks so much nicer with a 20" screen just floating over it.

I think if Apple does release a lat screen integrated system, it will be for the TV world with a built in DVR and Tivo type interface that also integrates with a Rendezvous Mac network.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    It'll be a sexbot. Apple branded sexbots. Think of the coup that would create.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    What if there is a secret secret secret product underway at Apple. So secret only SJ and one caged up locked up developer/engineer knows about it. What if Apple celebrates 1984 by reinventing Macintosh again in 2004? but with what?
  • Reply 11 of 45
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    A team of about 100 worked in absolute secrecy on the original iMac, so something like that is possible.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

I think if Apple does release a lat screen integrated system, it will be for the TV world with a built in DVR and Tivo type interface that also integrates with a Rendezvous Mac network.

that means no flat screen integrated system as 20th anniversery product, because:

first: it's no mac. it's a television enhancing device.

tv sucks.

tv is mind killing, not creative, time consuming, passivating nothingness.

it doesn't challenge.

most of the time you fall asleep watching it.

second: tivo is something american only. never ever saw one of these on this site of the ocean. first heard of it on AI.

it will be a US only party, yeeha.

third: why do you think that the last mac apple ever introduced with a tv tuner kind of thing dates back to 1997? (pm 5500)

they easily could have add it to the imac. (nice big 20" screen to watch tv on, funny little i-something utillity to record it on your hd with it, nice)

that's right:

tv sucks

so what will it be?

i think that if apple comes up with something 20th anniversery-esque it will be a mac.

- a cube-alike looks very obvious.

with a small 9inch TFT add-on screen for warm retro feelings like the macintosh 128k but than faster

- or they kick sony's but with the smallest full featured computer ever:

a 10" widescreen pb (yes, with fullsize keyboard and superdrive)

- or no hardware. only a skin for OSX that gives it the look and feel of Mac OS1.0

i don't know
  • Reply 13 of 45
    I think the 20th anniversary of the Mac will be punctuated by new advanced Software and not a new Mac. What will drive the Mac is killer software now that the OS is so mature and the hardware is on fire ( 970's and all.)
  • Reply 14 of 45
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

I think the 20th anniversary of the Mac will be punctuated by new advanced Software and not a new Mac. What will drive the Mac is killer software now that the OS is so mature and the hardware is on fire ( 970's and all.)

i think OS X is in its late puberty right now. it has a little acne, but almost looks mature.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    A lower priced iPod is coming on Friday the 28th. Stay tuned.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

more details please...
  • Reply 17 of 45
    how about this.

20 years ago, Apple redefined the computer world with the introduction of the Macintosh computer.

VISUAL : Bill Gates (look-alike) on the big screen talking about taking over the world in exactly the same dialog as the macintosh commerical.

today, Apple will again redefine the computer world with Xoffice. The first full featured office suite from Apple.

VISUAL : Woman throws Xoffice box and blows up image of Gates.

Run it on your new g5 Xserve or the new G5 cube.

now for Windows and mac.

Please
  • Reply 18 of 45
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous It'll be a sexbot.

Any chance they could use Bobbie Phillips as the model for these things?

Meow...
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I don't think that is going to happen.. seems like all of Apple's sales department will be off this week...
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

third: why do you think that the last mac apple ever introduced with a tv tuner kind of thing dates back to 1997? (pm 5500)

they easily could have add it to the imac. (nice big 20" screen to watch tv on, funny little i-something utillity to record it on your hd with it, nice)

AppleTV was the first TV tuner for a computer and I agree that having a built in TV sucks and only looks good on paper. At the November 5 analyst meeting Apple said putting a DVR on a Mac was like adding a toaster to it, it doesn't make sense. The DVR should be built into the Cable box or the TV.

That is their quote. They alluded to a TV with a built in DVR as a better solution than a Media PC. For many reasons, among which was that you don't want to interrupt a DVR scheduled recording because someone in the household decides to download a patch or play a game or do something else that would affect the DVR.

Cost wise, its awfully expensive to dedicate a computer as an additional unit to your Home Entertainment system. So Apple envisions a future flat screen TV with a built in DVR function. For it to make real sense as a device sold by Apple, there are so many advantages to have the iTV on the rendezvous network. The next time I go to buy a TV, I would buy one. Since the TV is hooked up to the Stereo System, I could then pipe my iTunes through it as well using Rendezvous sharing as well. Viewing Pictures and streaming movies and Internet Pages would be accommodated too. You may be able to use the iTV as a computer display taking advantage of the Multi-user capability in OS X so that two users can be simultaneously using one Mac (another use for the bluetooth keyboard and mouse.)

And more, with an iTV you could probably buy from the iTunes Store directly and store your tracks right on its built in drive. In the future, how about buying specially compressed movies from the Internet and keeping them stored on your iTV and/or burning them to a Video CD or DVD-R/-RW drive on your Mac over the Rendezvous network using similar DRM to iTunes FairPlay.