iPod and iPod ads success...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i'm in berlin here and noticed that every second bus station has those cool iPod ads on it. it seems as if it is a good thing - one local dealer told me that only on saturday they sold 25 iPods - this is one(!) day!!! i am shocked - i've never seen such a presence of apple in germany before...

i'd say apple will sell (again) much more iPods in the current quarter and go for a new selling record on mp3-players...

what is your opinion? are iPods a cool item in your city? i don't think this is just a us-phenomenon is it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    also look at this story
  • Reply 2 of 47
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Yeah iPod is a hit everywhere it seems. Hopefully the new Apple will make your sig come true
  • Reply 3 of 47
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    A lot of people in my city want them, but most of these peoples parents won't let them get one(junior high), because they think they'll get sued.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    WTF... Sued? I would think cost would matter more over that.. iPods are somewhat overpriced.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

A lot of people in my city want them, but most of these peoples parents won't let them get one(junior high), because they think they'll get sued.

what a bunch of clueless people. The junior high-ers should tell their parents that they won't get sued and they know that for a fact.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

WTF... Sued? I would think cost would matter more over that.. iPods are somewhat overpriced.

128 MB MP3 player - $149.99

10 GB iPod - $299.00

512 MB USB Drive $199.00

10 GB iPod (Used as a FireWire Drive) - $299.00

A 10 GB iPod for $299 can replace both of the other two, which would cost you $348, and with it you can keep your calendar and address book, play games, set an alarm, store text notes, and it works wonderfully with iTunes. Oh yeah, it's cool looking, small, and lightweight.

Don't mean to get off topic here, but it's not that over priced if you think about it.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Honestly, I've not even noticed any other MP3 player out on the street. I'll see people with ipods or CD players, nothing else.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    An Apple reseller in Beijing here in China just ran out of iPods yesterday. Their last shipment was 300 pods and in less than a month, ALL GONE!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    i haven't really noticed any other ipod users in downtown toronto. i never saw another pair of white earbuds walking down the street. but it sure gets attention when i pull my 10 out of the cellphone pouch on my bag to change the music. i can sense 2 dozen bitty eyes staring down on the white gizmo... but when i step into my design class, half the students have their ipods either hooked up to g5s or to their ears. must be a designer thing. i was talking to some dude from newfoundland on friendster and he didn't even know what an ipod was. i got him up to speed and he's so psyched about getting one because he says he's one of those ppl who carries 10 stack of cds and spare batteries in his bag. he told me i should become a spokesperson for apple
  • Reply 10 of 47
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I see all these other mp3 players advertised online, in Sunday circulars and hanging on the shelves at Target and Best Buy.

And NOBODY seems to be buying or using them.

As mentioned above, any time I see someone listening to music "on the go", it's either an iPod or a CD/radio player by Sony or Philips or whoever.

Also, as mentioned above, remember what all the iPod can be used for (portable storage/backup, address contacts, appointments, notes AND it's small, sleek and light and works beautifully with the Mac).

I'd gladly pay $399 or whatever to get the typical iPod usage PLUS all the above, rather than getting a 128MB mp3 player that has one function only.

It's an investment.

A quality product that, if used to its fullest, actually can replace several items of a lower capacity and quality. I like that.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    I was in Boston over the weekend and I noticed a few iPod ads. The best place I saw them was down in the T station. 4 of them side by side. I thought that was good placement because when you commute, an iPod is invaluable. BTW, I saw at least 5 other people with the tell-tale white headphones. I use my Grado's so people can't pick me out, though. I wonder how many covert iPodders are around.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Dell DJ. 20 Gigs $299

Sure it has a few flaws but in is just as good as the iPod in many ways. I foresee the second generation to atleast tie with the iPod.

iPod 3rd gen. 20 Gigs. $369 (Educational Discount)

Sure it can be used as a firewire hard drive, and it can be used to boot up G5's and the like. But the market that Apple seems to be aiming at these days will use them for neither. Consumer PC users will never really need a Firewire hard drive, and most likely don't know what one is. No need to use it to boot on a PC becuase its not possible, as far as I know.

There is a 70 dollar difference. The bigger difference is the fact that if you call Dell, and try and order a PC, they'll even throw in the DJ for $240 dollars.. just to get you to order. On top of that Dell is infamous for all their discount coupons and the like.

This isn't a Troll, just comparing the iPod with the competition. If I wasn't planning on getting an iBook, I would be getting a DJ, but I'll stick with the iPod. But then again, I'm not a consumer PC user.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Most standard PC users wouldn't have any need for the iPod to double as a FireWire drive, but that feature can not be helpful enough for students, especially in any graphic design field, and video students too. Apple needs to stress this a bit more when advertising towards students.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Good.

Whoop-di-ing-do. None of that really means much of a damn to anyone here, unfortunately.

(the above is directed at scavenger's post, not iBrowse...sorry for the confusion)

We could agree to maybe meet back here in a year and see how iPod sales are going, compared to this Dell thing.

I honestly don't think it'll be much of a contest.

My music-loving, PC-using buddies and family members seem to have all opted for Apple's player and music service. And most of those were really with no input from me, so I didn't "sway" anyone or stack the deck.

Three of them, in fact, I had no idea about until they called or e-mailed me and told me "I bought an iPod!" and one had already purchased quite a few songs from the iTMS and was gushing about the whole iPod/iTunes/music store experience and, in a roundabout way, asking "so this is kinda what 'your side' is like? This slick?"

Of course.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    I wasn't trying to say that the iPod was bad.. I would buy one over the Dell DJ, just for the simple fact that I hate musicmatch.

I was just using it to show that there is a very comparable product at a much lower cost. I read somewhere off this forum that Apple makes 150 to 175 dollars off each iPod. Thats an amazing profit.

On average I see atleast one person a day using an iPod here at Michigan State University (#3 in NCAA Mens Basketball. Go Green) What I have seen is more people have musicmatch installed and napster then itunes. I work for the campus's tech support center. On average we don't have too many issues with Mac's even if we do only one person knows how to fix them, but anyway. I've notice that about 60% of the computers I've worked on to fix, MusicMatch or Napster have been installed.

This is not to say that Apple is making a bad product. I for one will never buy an MP3... I buy vinyl.... I'm a DJ, so it makes sense. But what I think is that if apple would cut the price even by 20 dollars for the holidays, then they would be able to gain more marketshare. Steve said iTunes wasn't ment to sell music, but to sell iPods, well... you have to remember this one thing. CD-R's cost 10 cents. For the average person this is fine, and then they have a portable cd player for a while now. iPod costs 300+ sure it can store more, but how many people really listen to 5000 songs?

Anyway, I don't remember my point, but I'm not trolling.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:

I wasn't trying to say that the iPod was bad.. I would buy one over the Dell DJ, just for the simple fact that I hate musicmatch.

And there, sir, is the nail and you have hit it dead on. That's the point. People pay more for quality, plain and simple.

Quote:

On average I see atleast one person a day using an iPod here at Michigan State University (#3 in NCAA Mens Basketball. Go Green) What I have seen is more people have musicmatch installed and napster then itunes. I work for the campus's tech support center. On average we don't have too many issues with Mac's even if we do only one person knows how to fix them, but anyway. I've notice that about 60% of the computers I've worked on to fix, MusicMatch or Napster have been installed.

I'm calling either bullshit on this one or I'd wager a guess that the musicmatch software you see on their computers came pre-installed. There's no way that more people at MSU have napster version 2.0 installed than iTunes. Spartans aren't stupid. I just don't believe it, especially if you see 'pod people on campus.

Think about it this way: the iTMS will win the fight of online music stores. Apple's got too much to lose if it doesn't happen. And they're not in it for the money off of song sales so they can afford to be risky. So would you like to be stuck with a Dell DJ with no way to get your songs on to it or have an iPod and get iTunes for free and get to buy music from the iTMS? It's all about ease of use, not about upfront costs (another thing PC-users don't get).
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by memory box

I was in Boston over the weekend and I noticed a few iPod ads. The best place I saw them was down in the T station. 4 of them side by side. I thought that was good placement because when you commute, an iPod is invaluable. BTW, I saw at least 5 other people with the tell-tale white headphones. I use my Grado's so people can't pick me out, though. I wonder how many covert iPodders are around.

They are multiplying! almost every Bus stop in the greater boston area has an iPod ad. They are all over the T stations, magazines..etc.

I don't wear my white buds in public though, I'm not comfortable drawing extra attention to my $350 toy(edu discount)

I see A LOT of pods here in boston, it's pretty cool, whenever I'm on the T I consistently see at least 2, usually 3, or when I'm walking down the street, I have consistently seen a few every time.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

I was just using it to show that there is a very comparable product at a much lower cost.

Except that there really isn't. First of all, there's the sort of x-factor. Mostly, people confronted with machine interfaces get flustered, but the reaction I get from people messing with my iPod for the first time is "oh, this is too much fun!" Good design transcends spec lists. More importantly, the iPod really isn't a standalone product: The fact that it's mated with iTunes and the iTunes Music Store is part of the appeal of the product, and those have to be taken into consideration when comparing and pricing the iPod.

That, and the whole FireWire thing just expands the iPod's market outside of the consumer market. So Apple's selling them to professionals as well who might never consider a product like it otherwise. One more advantage for iPod, saleswise.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Computer Users are MSU aren't very computer knowledgable. It comes down to removing spyware most of the time, and them have regular Kazaa installed. Most don't know what a virus scanner is. Sure many have MusicMatch pre installed. But you know what? Preinstalled stuff sells pretty well. I had this game preinstalled when I bought my first PC. (66mhz Windows 95 box) and it is still one of the best games I've ever played.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Yeah iPod is a hit everywhere it seems. Hopefully the new Apple will make your sig come true

i hope so too

1 people found this reply helpful ... me