Bring back the Newton as Apple PDA

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Newton 2100 is a great handheld computer. It's power still rivals the Pocket PC handhelds of today.

What Apple needs to do is add a color screen to the 2100, Airport wireless in place of a PCMCIA slot, and more onboard memory.

If Apple was able to sell this type of device with a price tag of under $800, it would be a major hit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Agreed! I bought a non-upgraded MP2000 two months ago, and I absolutely love it!

BTW, great to see you around, Fran441!
  • Reply 2 of 56
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Beats the heck out of the Palm, huh?
  • Reply 3 of 56
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Beats the heck out of the Palm, huh? </strong><hr></blockquote>

maybe if they duked it out physically with all that mass behind it
  • Reply 4 of 56
    As cool as that would be I do not think it would be in the best interest of apple, at least for now.

I just do not think there is a big enogh market for it right now. Like Steve jobs said "200 years ago people did not have orginizers, but they did have music, music is in ower DNA" I totaly agree, but that dose not mean we could not use a Great apple PDA. But I just think apple is going to wait on this and not take any big risks.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    It's coming, eventually. It'll never be a Newton though, that's so Apple 10 years ago. It'll be like a decked-out iPod: the best combination of features, strikingly beautiful, and overpriced for mainstream. As well as Mac-only.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    The coolest thing right now, is I can use the MP2000 to turn on six (yes, 6) Twentieth Anniversary Macs all at the same time. =)
  • Reply 7 of 56
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>The Newton 2100 is a great handheld computer. It's power still rivals the Pocket PC handhelds of today.

What Apple needs to do is add a color screen to the 2100, Airport wireless in place of a PCMCIA slot, and more onboard memory.

If Apple was able to sell this type of device with a price tag of under $800, it would be a major hit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They might as well make it a tablet and compete head on with Microsoft rather than put it into thet overcrowded pda space. The size would be more suited for a tablet as well.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>...dose...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does, Mike, does!
  • Reply 9 of 56
    The Newton rocks!

Check out some of my work on Newton Movie Player and Newton Audio Player at <a href="http://www.handshakecompanies.com/newton/"; target="_blank">http://www.handshakecompanies.com/newton/</a>;
  • Reply 10 of 56
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    What made the Newton better than a Palm?

I have never used nor seen a Newton, this is not a troll.

What I do know is that for a PDA to be really sucessful it must sync with Mac, Windows and Linux. This is essential.

Many of us use a PC at the office and Mac at home, or visa-versa. My ageing Palm III is the only way I can keep the address book up-to-date on different machines etc.

In my opinion a Mac only soloution would limit the market for such a device to the small number of Mac users and may in fact not be attractive to them. If such a device was introduced it must be aimed at the biggest market possible.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Awsome btober! That software kicks! As for a new Newton, nah, not until the economy bounces back.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    The newton can sync with Macs and PCs but I don't know about Linux. Hmmm.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I liked the Newton (I bought the first one), but I really think that it is done.

Apple can't really add anything to a PDA that isn't already available. That's what they seem to like doing--giving their devices an extra edge over the competition.

There isn't really any ground left for a PDA. The OS, features, and form factors are pretty competitive.

However, fran411, I first read this topic back in 1999. I admire your tenacity and devotion to such a cool device.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by Red Hot Ryan:

<strong>The newton can sync with Macs and PCs but I don't know about Linux. Hmmm.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, you can do this. -snip-

EDIT: OK - link is messed up. Search on google for "Newton and Linux"

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: btober ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Wow. The Newton covers 2/5 of all topics right now on Future Hardware.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Can you believe it??? All these old faces. Michealm even learned to spell a little better. I still remember your thread about the "SLOAT LOADING iMACS"
  • Reply 17 of 56
    [quote](via private message):

What do you mean about the newton turning on 6 computers?<hr></blockquote>

The Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh (TAM) has built-in Infrared sensors, like many Performas/Power Macs with built-in TV cards. So, by using "Sony Remote" on the Newton, and situating the TAMs in a semi-circle, I can press "Power" on the Newton and all the TAMs will simultaneously startup and play their wonderful startup sound fully synchronized.

In reality, most Sony TV remotes will control the TAM and other Macs. Not only can you turn them on an off, but you can adjust the volume, launch Apple Video Player (if you have a TV tuner) and switch channels, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    The more important question is: "How do you have 6 TAMs?"
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Michaelm8000,

I don't think the iPod was in Apple's particular best interests either! But there it it.

I think if they had someone as superbly efficient as Wozniak around it'd be just the right thing to assert Apple as the innovator of the new millenium.

A "Newton" of some sort able to run a highly optimized GUI, unlike Aqua, with upgradeable AirPort socket, a new-age handheld device socket, static hard disk, water-proof, digital-display support, cellular module and built in camera and/or firewire port.

Imagine, Apple Innovation....revolution of communication!

Tired of not being able to communicate your ideas? The ability to visualise by distance...instantly.

What is this thing missing...floppy drive! ah...no wait..
  • Reply 20 of 56
    I think there are a lot of newton owners who don't realize that Apple subsidized them having technology many years ahead of it's time. The things were not ever profitable. The sad reality is that there are truly great products that are just money pits for the company making them, and the Newton is a prime example. The best thing Apple can do is cannabalize the technology and put it into devices they CAN make a profit with.

If Apple (back in "the day") were to have scaled the Newton back to something they could have made a profit with, they would have had a Palm... and now you can't even profit with those. Frankly, I think Apple is much more likely to release a phone with Newton features, than to re-enter the handheld market. It seems much more reasonable that in a few years the iBook might morph into something smaller and tablet-like as components become cheaper and smaller... the price isn't too far off from what the Ùber-Newton would cost anyway. So in the end, if you own Apple stock you would be wise to applaud Apple's restraint.