How do I install OpenOffice?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I want to try this software, but since I don't know anything about UNIX, I haven't even installed it yet. So, what do I need, how do I install it, etc.?

I've allready installed x11.

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

I want to try this software, but since I don't know anything about UNIX, I haven't even installed it yet. So, what do I need, how do I install it, etc.?

I've allready installed x11.

Thank you for any help.

All you need to do is download openoffice from their site www.openoffice.org be sure to pick the right language version and install as usual. It will ask you to choose where x11.app is located at the end of the installer so x11 launches when you run the OpenOffice exe.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thank you.

I've just installed this app. Works great!!!

To all: Install and use this app, the difference to a native app is not that big. It feels a little bit like win98, but it's significantly faster than Office v.x, and it imports just fine. I hope they can speed up the native version, but until then X11 works just fine for me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    openoffice will be great once they work out the font issues (its a bit of a problem having followed the oO discussions on this). the native aqua version will obviously be ok, but within X11 if you want to use anything other than core systems fonts you're in for a rough ride...

...which rules it out for me i'm afraid \
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

openoffice will be great once they work out the font issues (its a bit of a problem having followed the oO discussions on this). the native aqua version will obviously be ok, but within X11 if you want to use anything other than core systems fonts you're in for a rough ride...

...which rules it out for me i'm afraid \

I know what you mean, X11's times is just cack to say the least. just use lucida grande as your main font and you have nice fontage.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

I know what you mean, X11's times is just cack to say the least. just use lucida grande as your main font and you have nice fontage.

but thats not the point. if its going to replace word i need *all* my fonts available.

if i'm making word templates for a client as part of their branding i need to use their typeface.

or my word templates use my 'corporate' font for my own brand. which is an opentype one and won't work.

there is a command line utility available from the oO developers for 'ripping' your fonts into a format oO will understand. but its really *cack*

a developer did tell me he was working on suitcase integration. yah! still no show. boo!