New PowerMac pictures leaked

Comments

• Reply 121 of 688
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    If 512MB sticks cost under $100 each, does anyone know what 1GB sticks of DDR will cost?
  • Reply 122 of 688
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    NM

[ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 123 of 688
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by BJNY:

<strong>If 512MB sticks cost under $100 each, does anyone know what 1GB sticks of DDR will cost?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the 1gb sticks made by infineon are quite expensive, about the price of a eMac last time I heared. If I had the chance to buy a powermac I'd go with 2x512 now and again 2x512 a few months later.

Geez, if I think that my first computer had 2 mb of ram and around 20 mb of hard disk... sheesh!
  • Reply 124 of 688
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    [quote] The G4 is definately the most lackluster line ever. Rearranging the internals and replacing the front/back panels 3 times is hardly worthy of Apple.<hr></blockquote>

It's just that the current tower is such a kick-ass design. Many expect them to come up with something even better, which is almost impossible. If they do a total makeover, I fear that the result will be worse. Personally I'd like them to focus on the internals for the most part. The biggest problem with the PowerMac is what's (not) on the motherboard.
  • Reply 125 of 688
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Gig PC133 DIMMS at Crucial weigh in at about $450. Not DDR, I know, but I'd expect it to be in the same ballpark.
  • Reply 126 of 688
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    [quote]Originally posted by wfzelle:

<strong>

It's just that the current tower is such a kick-ass design. If they do a total makeover, I fear that the result will be worse.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is exactly what I am thinking too. No way I would buy something without the door anymore.

And if you take the door for given it's very hard to come up with something radically new. It may be square, with handles or without or higher or more cubic or whatever, but the door basically dominates the design.

bye.
  • Reply 126 of 688
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    It's a real pic guys and the botom is not airbrushed. The botton of the current towers is CURVED whith means it HAS NO EDGE. Also, the viewing angle in which the shot was taken is higer then the agnle needed to produce a shadow UNDER the CURVED edge. So, their is no shadow which creates a smooth edge that overlays the table. So you guys in haste immedialtely assume fake, it's airbrushed. Sorry, WRONG.
  • Reply 128 of 688
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    wonder why they didn't take off the plastic to take a picture of it and why the strange angle pictures of the insides. Photo illiterate or just trying to......
  • Reply 129 of 688
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>It's a real pic guys and the botom is not airbrushed. The botton of the current towers is CURVED whith means it HAS NO EDGE. Also, the viewing angle in which the shot was taken is higer then the agnle needed to produce a shadow UNDER the CURVED edge. So, their is no shadow which creates a smooth edge that overlays the table. So you guys in haste immedialtely assume fake, it's airbrushed. Sorry, WRONG.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Also take into account the fact that the pics are a bit distorted. (not just height, but perspective etc.)
  • Reply 130 of 688
    olli_golli_g Posts: 64member
    Hey all of your bitching folks:

See that the Mac is still in a plastic bag? The handles are no yikes/sawtooth handles and maybe the bottom of the front looks blurry, that's because of the bad resolution, the skewing of the page and the plastic bag.

I'm really convinced that this PowerMac is the real thing, just as I was convinced that the leaked Quicksilver pic was true.

Hopefully this time Apple provides good specs just as Superdrive even in the low end model.

Greets

olli_g
  • Reply 131 of 688
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    This thing is pretty ugly, but that's what I thought when I saw the leaked QuickSilver pics. I have a feeling this is fake though.
  • Reply 132 of 688
    Even if the case is fake, who can explain away the motherboard?
  • Reply 133 of 688
    nitridenitride Posts: 100member
    If you look closely there is a large-ish black connector on the motherboard in the same place as the "FireWire 2" connector on the infamous red ebay mobo.

I rotatd that image to match these new photos and the connector is still there. There is a large "box" on the back panel ABOVE the connector (modem prolly) and the connector is obviously the same size, shape and position as the red ebay mobo.

Look closely, its there.

If this is all real (red ebay mobo, this) then damn thats some weird shit Apple. Whoa. Sorry for the cuss word. Thats just a WEIRD looking Mac style. Wow.
  • Reply 133 of 688
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    [quote]Originally posted by Telomar:

<strong>

I'm inclined to believe he's the real deal too. Lets just hope he has a job come tomorrow

"A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be sitting next to you saying: 'that was f@#%ing awesome!' "

</strong><hr></blockquote>

&lt;offtopic&gt;

every time I read your sig, I just have to stop and laugh my butt off.

&lt;/offtopic&gt;

[ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: tsukurite ]</p>
  • Reply 135 of 688
    skullmacskullmac Posts: 71member
    I've seen lots of talk about "how convenient" the plastic wrap is on "hard to fake areas" like the Apple logo and the metal drive bays.

Umm... how many of you guys have actually unpacked a G4 lately? Shit, even my old G4 350 AGP shipped with plastic sheets over the apple logo, drive bay, etc.

Taking the protecting plastic, bad lighting, and skewed height, I'd say this is one sweet looking case.
  • Reply 136 of 688
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I'm not to fond of the style either but when I first saw pics of the quicksilver, I didn't think to much of it either until I saw it in person (same goes for the Dodge viper. To me, it looked ugly in person until I saw it in person). So maybe this white box will look better when seeing it in person. And, if by some slim chance in heck it does come with the G5, then I really don't care what it looks like.
  • Reply 137 of 688
    nitridenitride Posts: 100member
    Crap someone pressed the return key while I was making breakfast. Ah the power of kids running around like wild animals, they act like they haven't eaten in days.

Anywho.

There is one box mockup that I really liked (with a little work) that is somewhat retro-ish. its a rounded corner box metalic looking up on posts or legs. Flat front, the longitudinal lines are rounded.

This is similar to a Sony G4-ish design that I liked except for the whole feature-overkill and Windoze inside. Simple, clean, efficient.

Then we have the current G4 case aka El Capitan.

All of the curves on the El Capitan really limits the usable space of the design. The front panel is limited vertically because the corners turn in on the top and bottom. You could fit three front bays in there (with a different mobo arrangement and power supply, rather like what we see in this newest "leak").

Are they even TRYING to improve the design or just fit more/new junk in there?

If the case was made taller and squared off they would not have to rearrage and CRAM all the drives and whatnot in there every revision.

Is Apple spinng its tires this year or are we just expecting way too much?

The only redeemer is the 4 gig. of RAM. How many other mid-level PeeCees max. at 4 gig (not 2, 3.5)? That will really help Maya, FCP, DVDSP and the compositing apps Apple bought up. Office will probably finally run okay too.

I love ya Apple, but this is turning into an unhealthy relationship. My needs are just not beeing met and I am starting to grow bored. Software may sell the hardware, but its the hardware that most people see first.
  • Reply 138 of 688
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    my perspective:

after having had a good long hard look at the pics (rescaled in photoshop) and the red ebay board, I think:

It's an old photo of an early prototype of the next revision, the unfinished externals and the date on the mobo of 2001 just seem to point to it being old. I'm not saying this case isn't what we;ll get in a slightly jazed up form, just that it is an old photo.

If you look at the red ebay mobo and the one from the french pics, many of the elements are in the same places, the only real difference is the french pics show that 45 deg placed chip (maybe a processor maybe not) but the connector for a daughtercard is still there, so my guess on this is: either it's an early board, again inidcated by the dating and had a G4 745x on it to test other components, or the other processor something else (i don't know what, unified controller chip? you tell me.

I think it might be a bit fatter than the current El Cap, to fit the 2 5 1/4 drives.

That PDF is cr*p too, written after seeing the pics secondhand and guessing at configuration.

I agree about it being a DDR board and that the big PCI board is diagnostic, although maybe it's an internal hardware RAID? oh please!

By the way, can anyone ID the graphics card in the AGP slot, that might help us date the pics better?...

[quote] <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 139 of 688
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Well, at least the case picture looks authentic to me, even though it may indeed be a pic of an older mule. I'm glad to see double 5.25" drive bays. I trust that Apple will do just fine with the internals.

I'm also looking forward to a 17" wide-screen Studio/Cinema display.

I think this is the year my Rev.A iMac is going to be replaced by a PowerMac.

Escher
  • Reply 140 of 688
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cipher13:

<strong>As I posted at MacNN...:

</strong><hr></blockquote>

.... DDR is SDRam ....