(15) Year Old to play for DC United next year!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am a pretty big soccer fan, but don't usually follow MLS due to the relative lack of talent compared to the big European and South American clubs. Apparently MLS is willing to do just about anything to change that. Read the article and ask yourself: are they going too far?

On the one hand the Kid is apparently going to graduate high school at age 15, on the other, he's already signed a deal with Nike that would -- in effect -- prohibit him from attending college in the US (because he can't play in the NCAA and have an endorsement contract obviously... and surely part of the deal is the visibility that comes with playing full professional seasons). It's a wierd scenario to say the least.

Quote:

From the NYT:

ajor League Soccer, competing against some of the top clubs in the world, has signed the teenage soccer star Freddy Adu to a six-year contract. Adu, 14, will play next season for D.C. United, becoming the youngest player in league history. He plans to live at home with his family in Potomac, Md.

Advertisement

"This is the biggest signing in the history of the league," Commissioner Don Garber said in a telephone interview today. "Freddy is one of the top young players in the world and his decision to play in his country and for his league will motivate other youngsters to look to M.L.S."

The league will make an official announcement at a news conference at Niketown in Midtown Manhattan on Wednesday. As part of the deal, the league has engineered a trade between D.C. United and the Dallas Burn, which had the first pick in the league's draft. The trade will assign Adu to United, his hometown team, and provide Dallas with a "major player allocation," according to the league. M.L.S., a single-entity operation, negotiates all player contracts.

The age span for players in the M.L.S. runs from 17-year-old Eddie Gaven, a midfielder for the MetroStars, to 40-year-old Preki, a midfielder for the Kansas City Wizards.

Adu, who moved to the United States from Ghana with his family in 1997, had already signed an endorsement contract with Nike, which precludes him from playing in college in the United States. After his strong performance at last summer's under-17 world championship in Finland, Adu attracted interest from some of the top clubs in Europe ? including Manchester United and Chelsea of the English Premier League and PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands. But according to FIFA rules for non-European Union players, he would not have been able to play on those clubs' senior teams until he turned 18.

"This clearly proves to all of those people who believe we would not get this done that M.L.S. is far more formidable and serious about this business than people give us credit for," Garber said.

Adu had been offered more money by Chelsea and Manchester United, according to league officials, but "clearly the decision by the family was not taken solely on the money," said Ivan Gazidis, M.L.S. deputy commissioner.

"They felt comfortable wit the league and its track record with the young players we've signed," Gazidis said.

Adu, who will turn 15 on June 2, may not be with D.C. United when the 2004 M.L.S. season begins next April. He lives, goes to school and trains at the Bradenton Academy in Florida, a residency camp set up several years ago by the United States Soccer Federation. He is expected to graduate from high school in May and then join the club full time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    not that it's a good thing but tennis players have been doing it for years.

i just want to make sure he plays for the u.s. in the next world cup. i wonder which offers better competition? the MLS or the premier's junior league?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    FIFA doesn't allow someone under the age of 18 to play in a foreign top league. It's to prevent the Manchester Uniteds and Real Madrids of the world from buying up all of the potential talent.

So at age 14, this kid didn't have many choices. Play for the development squad of a big team or for MLS. The big problem is that a development team in one of the big leagues isn't nearly as good as MLS. So he's making the right choice for his soccer development.

The kid's phenomonal. I have a few video clips of him running around and he's the real deal. Anyone can say he's too young to know, but the only thing that can hold him back is an injury or a severe mental breakdown. While an injury might happen, he's handled the publicity for himself quite well.

Did I mention that this kid is the bomb? Wow, is he amazing. I want him on the U.S. Nats. He's the heir apparent to Pele, no joke.

Moogs, MLS might not be the greatest but start watching the Chicago Fire. Watch MLS Cup this Sunday, 3:30 PM EST on ABC.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Will do... I hope the kid plays for the US National Team too, he's already got 5 years towards his naturalization requirement down.

• Reply 4 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Sounds good to me. If he wanted to flip burgers for chump change at age 15 no one would mind at all. So if it's soccer for "big" money more power to him.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

FIFA doesn't allow someone under the age of 18 to play in a foreign top league. It's to prevent the Manchester Uniteds and Real Madrids of the world from buying up all of the potential talent.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. The big clubs buy the young players all the time. Scum United already tried to "sign" him. Just last week Barça played a 16 y/o from argentina in a friendly vs. Porto.
    Quote:

The kid's phenomonal. I have a few video clips of him running around and he's the real deal. Anyone can say he's too young to know, but the only thing that can hold him back is an injury or a severe mental breakdown. While an injury might happen, he's handled the publicity for himself quite well.

He's very good, but at the recent U-17 WC he didn't do that well vs. the best teams.
    Quote:

He's the heir apparent to Pele, no joke.

Ok, let's not get carried away. Pele was already a world star at 17.In fact he was THE star of the world cup in Sweden at 17.
    Quote:

Moogs, MLS might not be the greatest but start watching the Chicago Fire. Watch MLS Cup this Sunday, 3:30 PM EST on ABC.

While the MLS is improving, it's still miles behind La Liga and the other top Euro leagues, not to mention the south american leagues.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. The big clubs buy the young players all the time. Scum United already tried to "sign" him. Just last week Barça played a 16 y/o from argentina in a friendly vs. Porto.

Sorry, the age is 16, not 18. So at 14 he'd still have to wait over two years to play. And because of the English schedule I believe that would be three seasons from now.

Quote:

He's very good, but at the recent U-17 WC he didn't do that well vs. the best teams.

Well the team didn't do very well. He did get a hat trick...playing against a lot of people three years older than he is.

Quote:

Ok, let's not get carried away. Pele was already a world star at 17.In fact he was THE star of the world cup in Sweden at 17.

I know, but this kid is 14 now. He'll be 17 at the next cup. The kid has talent most players twice his age don't have. I guess my point is just that the only way the kid can fail is if his skills diminish, and that is possible for the reasons I listed and more.

Quote:

While the MLS is improving, it's still miles behind La Liga and the other top Euro leagues, not to mention the south american leagues.

It's certainly ahead of foreign development teams though. Granted, a good coach anywhere is going to be better for him than a bad coach on the best team. But MLS is a perfect step.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Just remember what happened to Sonny Pike...

I think about 17 is the right time to break into a main stream team. Before that you are still developing both physically and emotionally as well as mentally at a huge rate and it is just all too much.

Someone mentioned tennis players... look what happens to them. Burnt out at 20...

Wayne Rooney, easily the best English player for 10 years (highly, highly talented...) is only 17, and even he is having difficulty with the intensity of the Premiership. He is getting aggressive and exhausted...

15 is just too young.

Peace,

Marc
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Placid Casual

Wayne Rooney, easily the best English player for 10 years (highly, highly talented...) is only 17, and even he is having difficulty with the intensity of the Premiership. He is getting aggressive and exhausted...

Marc

'Easily"? I'm sorry, I remember a certain Michael Owen that I would take ANY day over Rooney. If Rooney's having difficulty with the Premiership, maybe he's just not good enough.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

'Easily"? I'm sorry, I remember a certain Michael Owen that I would take ANY day over Rooney. If Rooney's having difficulty with the Premiership, maybe he's just not good enough.

I concede that Owen is a great, great player, but when his pace goes, I can't see what other threat he has... he also still suffers badly from injury because he was played too much at too young an age.

Rooney on the other hand is much more subtle in his play (vision and passing is great when you see him live), and in my mind has more vision than Owen had at 17...

Each too their own though , and I may very well be wrong.

Peace,

Marc

(Not a fan of either Merseyside team)
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Adu will do fine IF:

1. he is used sparingly; mostly as a sub so that he can send the first year getting to "know" pro soccer

2. he has a decent coach who knows how to handle youngsters

3. if he can keep Stoichkov and Kovalenko from breaking his legs

4. if the coachs keep Stoichkov and Etch away from him. He does not need to learn their bad habits.

basically, he needs to go slow, get his body and mind into pro soccer and learn from the vets.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Luckily for Adu he's already been surrounded by so many high quality vets with the National Team program he's got a good headstart. I'm also sure that D.C. is going to get some extra coaches to help him along. It would be silly not to do it that way.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Placid Casual

I concede that Owen is a great, great player, but when his pace goes, I can't see what other threat he has... he also still suffers badly from injury because he was played too much at too young an age.

Rooney on the other hand is much more subtle in his play (vision and passing is great when you see him live), and in my mind has more vision than Owen had at 17...(Not a fan of either Merseyside team)

Fair enough Marc, I respect your opinion. Rooney may have better vision than Owen, but you have to remember Owen's a natural scorer.That;s his job. I agree that his main weapon is his pace, and as far as his injury is concerned, his hamstring hasn't bothered him in a while. In a better system, the one Houllier seems to finally be aiming for due(thanks?) to fan and media criticism, LFC's overdependence on him to save them with an individual brilliant play, will only help prolong his career.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    OK. So as advertised I watched the MLS Cup this afternoon. Overall I will say that it seems the best teams and players now, are noticeably more skilled / polished than the ones I watched four or five years ago. It was a pretty entertaining game really. Six goals and could have easily been 8 at the end and a shootout after.

Chicago really blew a lot of good scoring chances. The Russian guy in particular won't sleep well tonight, but that's sports. I was less than impressed that supposedly the best stadium in the US holds less than 40,000 people, and that by the time the presentation started, the stands were half empty... doesn't say much for those "real fans".

I think the next World Cup will yield a significantly better US team, but one that is still significantly behind the curve so to speak. I suppose Cup after next (2010) we may contend / make a legitimate run, if the quailty of play keeps improving / we can get this Adu kid to play for us in the prime of his career. I think until we win the Cup or come close, the fan base in this country won't improve.

Soccer has a ways to go (fan wise) even to match hockey in this country, AFAICT. Walk before you can run and all that.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    razov has been ill, and yeah although i wanted the fire to win it was a good game, it easily could have been 6-4 FIRE.

as for adu, his interview at halftime sure highlighted the fact that he's 14!

i think the last world cup opened a few eyes, they just have to build on it, hopefully our young freddy is just the ticket.

as for the stadium not holding 40k, well you said it, walk before you can run, at least this year they didn't play their championship on a field with faded football hash marks on it.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Practically all the Dominican and Cuban players in the MLB lie about their age. It increases their value. I'm not sure it applies here since the difference between being 27 and 30 is much bigger than being 17 compared to 14.

Who knows though? He certainly doesn't look 14 to me.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Soccer will never catch on here because it isn't conducive to advertising. Sports are about money here. If you can't have commercials, you can't make money. Same reason hockey isn't as big. Too bad, because they're both fun sports to watch.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    I don't know about that. Hockey isn't popular here because people have misconceptions about the game (all fighting) and they don't understand the rules. More importantly, there isn't enough scoring. Americans get bored quickly without "fireworks" and so to them, a hotly contested 2-1 hockey game is "boring".

Never mind they watch ball players sit around and pick their arses for 9 innings all summer. Anyway, there are lot's of ads during hockey games. Also, I think that could improve by doing more Canadian Tire type spots where they take over the screen for about 10 seconds between whistles then come right back. Perfect!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Glad you enjoyed the game. It was a blast to be there for it. Chicago did miss so many opportunities. But, it's kind of our trademark now. The last MLS Cup we were in 2000 we lost 1-0 but outshot the opponents something like 22-2.

It's funny you mention 2010 because the USSF started a program after France '98 to 'win' the World Cup in 2010. Not really win it, but just to build a team that could contend by that time. We're part way there.

With regards to Adu, I read a quote recently from DaMarcus Beasley, the quick black kid that scored the Fire's only (not own) goal. He's a NAT player and is one of the best in the country. He said that Adu is already better than he is even though he's 7 years older. Scary stuff. Should be fun.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Im excited for what the kid can do for the sport here in the us. With hype growing, and a nike sponsorship under his belt, maybe futbol will gain more publicity in the U.S.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    1) Hockey is perhaps even less conducive to advertising that soccer is, and yet it's the #4 sport and you can't even SEE the damned puck.

2) If soccer were scored so that you got six points for every goal, I suspect more people would watch.

3) I'm betting Adu will play here until he's about 18 and then take off to Man U or someplace who'll pay him what he's worth.

Cheers

Scott