Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Comments

• Reply 501 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    OK, I just recieved my replacement 15" 1.25 from Apple. It's S/N is V7347XXXXXX (47th week) --- my old one was V7339XXXXXX (39th week). In contrast to other people, I do see the LCD flex/pooling in the screen, but it is uniformly rectangular, a cm or so off the edge of the bezel -- no pooling points inside the viewing area, as in my old PB. There is obviously something different in the structure of the lid, but it doesn't feel particularly more rigid or anything. The LCD is evenly lit (my old one is showing the uneven backlighting, also).

No mistakes in the build (same BTO as it replaces). 10.3.0 came installed. I've already installed all the waiting updates.

Too bad I can't keep both of these puppies.
  • Reply 502 of 588
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, mine's got the leprosy, but it's not *that* bad, and I'm going to hold off sending it in until I hear some more long-term reports on replacements.

With zero bad pixels, I'd hate to get back one with one or two... :/
  • Reply 503 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Well, mine's got the leprosy, but it's not *that* bad, and I'm going to hold off sending it in until I hear some more long-term reports on replacements.

I can dig it. My first repaired LCD came back with a stuck-red pixel.

This new machine has a perfect LCD, as far as I can tell.
  • Reply 504 of 588
    I've been holding out on returning my machine for the 3rd time - what's the general concensus now, has Apple sorted the spots out? My replacement screen developed them again after a month.

(Also, I noticed a rogue red pixel in the middle of the screen that suddenly appeared one evening. I gently pressed the screen and it disappeared, haven't seen it again.)
  • Reply 505 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

all my joy of owning this machine has already been sucked dry.

That's how I felt when I returned my 2nd aluminum PowerBook. I am back now on my trusty Ti867. I'd rather have a slower, almost full hard drive laptop that's been dependable. I really enjoy having my work everywhere I go and could use more speed, hard drive, better Airport, etc. Otherwise I would have purchased a G5 back on June 23rd. Should I go for another 1.25 PB? I think over the bruised feelings I have now that I read that the majority of the problems may have been resolved.
  • Reply 506 of 588
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Same problem I'm in. I love having no stuck pixels, but uneven backlighting is getting to m e.
  • Reply 507 of 588
    oops double post. it wont let me delete either one.
  • Reply 508 of 588
    not a big deal, but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. on two occasions i could not get the keyboard backlighting to turn on while i was in a completely dark room. i was able to adjust the brightness controls using the F8/F9/F10 keys, but the backlight never came on. i put the PB to sleep and then woke it up again and then the backlighting came on.
  • Reply 509 of 588
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

i put the PB to sleep and then woke it up again and then the backlighting came on.

Have you tried to reset the PMU? Here is how to.
  • Reply 510 of 588
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i was planning to get my wife a pb15 for christmas, now with all the problems i see here maybe get her the ibook instead, it has better battery life but no superdrive or backlight. what do you think i should do. we really don't need the superdrive but it would be nice, the back light is cool but i think they have a cool usb light called "ilight" that hooks into the usb port on the side. most of what she will be using it will be for internet, wp, etc, i would use it for maybe virtual pc in the future. presently i have a imac dv 400, so any would be a big upgrade.

if the pb has 3 hrs and i believe the ibook has 4=5 hrs.

http://mikegyver.com/page2.html this is for the ilite look at the home page he also has a keyboard lite for the pbg4 cool

any reported ibook quality issue???
  • Reply 511 of 588
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

not a big deal, but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. on two occasions i could not get the keyboard backlighting to turn on while i was in a completely dark room. i was able to adjust the brightness controls using the F8/F9/F10 keys, but the backlight never came on. i put the PB to sleep and then woke it up again and then the backlighting came on.

Yes, I've seen this problem - twice in the last four days, in fact. I'm using a stock Al 15" SuperDrive and ended up restarting to fix the problem. Have you discovered a simpler fix?

FWIW, I have a single dead pixel (a red one - better than blue or green, to be sure, but directly in the center of the screen \ ). What bothers me more is how dramatically the color temperature and brightness vary across the screen.

Anbody else seeing this? Don't want to be picky, but this is my first PowerBook purchase since an ill-fated PB 3400 episode many moons ago. <shudder>
  • Reply 512 of 588
    Well, I just got back my Al PB 15" for four white spots and the LCD has been replaced (by a local Apple reseller). So far the screen is perfect with even illumination. It's only been three days though. Hopefully this was a permanent fix.

cheers,

• Reply 513 of 588
    I would also like to hear from those who have had their screens replaced. Has Apple fixed the problem for good?

My screen didn't get white spots until about 1 month after I got it. They really are faint, so I'm in no rush to fix them as they are not a BIG issue at this time.

I also had the uneven backlighting issue when I first got the PowerBook, but it seems to have resolved itself. It has been several weeks since I can say that I've seen any sign of unusual shading of the screen.

Overall I'm still very happy with my new PowerBook. I use it daily, so I'm hesitant to send it in to fix the spots unless they have really nailed the issue.

Happy and safe Turkey Day to my fellow Americans!
  • Reply 514 of 588
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    wow, i just realized this is probably the longest thread of any content to actually stay on topic.

impressive.
  • Reply 515 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Have you tried to reset the PMU? Here is how to.

yes, did that before since i had a PMU problem with my machine when i first got it. i reported it to apple, and they had me reset the PMU again a couple more times. is the keyboard backlighting an issue that would indicate a faulty PMU? they told me i could swap for another machine if the problem persisted, but i really do like the screen on this one and dont want to keep swapping. also, is there any harm in repeatedly resetting the PMU?

to answer other questions-- the screen backlighting was pretty bad on my other PB that had the white spots, so they sent me another from the "new batch." so far, after 2 weeks, this one is still white spot-free and the lighting is very even.
  • Reply 516 of 588
    Quote:

I had this happen to me a few times a week or two after I received my PB AL 15". As soon as I logged off, the back lighting would come on...funny thing is that I haven't seen it happen again in over a month (my machine arrived 10/6). I'm not sure if it was one of the updates that fixed it or not. Fix disk permissions doesn't seem to find anything to fix in Panther...in Jaguar it always found something.... But I still run it after any install or OS update...

I know this doesn't help too much, but I haven't experienced the problem for a while...so I'm happy for the moment...
  • Reply 517 of 588
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

wow, i just realized this is probably the longest thread of any content to actually stay on topic.

impressive.

Doesn't that earn me some sort of badge or something?

I'm constantly shocked that it's still generating discussion. I started it just to bitch and moan a bit about white spots...and now look!

And that's with no dreaded "bumping" either...
  • Reply 518 of 588
    MWA HA HA HA

My replacement PB came! (See sig) And they haven't picked up my old one yet! I before me £4000 worth of computer equipment. I have two of the most awesome notebooks evar!

The replacement has a perfect screen. (I prayed before I switched it on, thanks God, man, I'll start believing in you some time soon!)

Only thing is 'the gap' is a bit uneven. But I think I can deal with that. And it came with Panther That saves me £100.

I don't know if I'm seeing something that isn't there, but the two machines look and feel minutely different. I'll try and do a full comparison to try and make out whether Apple has adjusted the design proc. (If I finish these effing essays...) Anyone got anything they want me to look at?

Q: Where do I find the ID number again? (Doesn't it include the date of manufacture?)
  • Reply 519 of 588
    I have that stupid issue with the keyboard not lighting up when needed also. I find that simply putting the machine to sleep and waking it up, will fix the issue.

• Reply 520 of 588
    I've had my white-spot repaired PowerBook back for almost 10 days now and everything is still perfect. I couldn't be happier with it.