Qotd:

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quotes of the Day: "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal: Nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    aaplaapl Posts: 124member
    "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." - Chinese Proverb
  • Reply 2 of 46
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    " Before enlightenment chopping wood, carting water....After enlightenment..chopping wood, carting water.."
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Serous:

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

Not so serous:

"What do you want me to do. Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? Cause I'm married!"
  • Reply 4 of 46
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Serous:

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

Bob Dylan or Red from The Shawshank Redemption?
  • Reply 5 of 46
    aaplaapl Posts: 124member
    "There?s excellent support at zero." - mika.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    "I cried when I had no shoes..... until I met a man with no feet....... then I laughed really hard." -Jerri Blank, Strangers With Candy
  • Reply 7 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    " I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

Thomas Edison

" Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Dr. Suess
  • Reply 8 of 46
    "Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind."

John F. Kennedy

• Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Bob Dylan or Red from The Shawshank Redemption?

I know it's from Shawshank, but I didn't know Dylan said it too. Leave it to Bob. He's an amazing guy.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    John 3:16

No, really!

Ok, outside religion:

"The Bible knows nothing of a hierarchy or labor. No work is degrading. If it ought to be done, then it is good work." ~ George Washington

"School prepares you for examination. Life gives you the finals." ~ Say

Oh, and:

"Definition of Status: Buying something you don't want with money you don't have to impress people you don't like." ~ Dr. Eugene Swearingen
  • Reply 11 of 46
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    " Love is like eating soup with a fork....you can never get enough.." Aqua

• Reply 12 of 46
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I know it's from Shawshank, but I didn't know Dylan said it too. Leave it to Bob. He's an amazing guy.

Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn

Suicide remarks are torn

From the fool's gold mouthpiece

The hollow horn plays wasted words

Proves to warn

That he not busy being born

Is busy dying.

-IT'S ALRIGHT, MA (I'M ONLY BLEEDING)

Bringing It All Back Home (1965)
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Amasing lyric...

It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.

-Andrew Johnson
  • Reply 14 of 46
    "Immerse your soul in love" - Radiohead

"Cats are proof that everything in nature doesn't necessarily have a purpose" - Garrison Keillor

"If the world really looks like that I will paint no more! " - Claude Monet, flinging away a pair of glasses for which he had been fitted to correct a severe astigmatism

• Reply 15 of 46
    "I don't even know who won the race... maybe no one"

-Dr. Hunter Thompson
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Wise people seek solutions; the ignorant only cast blame. - Tao Te Ching 79
  • Reply 17 of 46
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

Wise people seek solutions; the ignorant only cast blame. - Tao Te Ching 79

Do i detect thinly vieled blame in that post . . . or is it in the saying itself

perhaps the Tao is not infallible?! and perhaps Nietszche is right . . . even Eastern religions are religions of ressentement . . . much more mature than the West's religions but still vieled denial of Life?!?!?
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Do i detect thinly vieled blame in that post . . . or is it in the saying itself

perhaps the Tao is not infallible?! and perhaps Nietszche is right . . . even Eastern religions are religions of ressentement . . . much more mature than the West's religions but still vieled denial of Life?!?!?

Hmm,..

That's a very deep assessment. How did you come of it pfflam?
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

However,..

I'm not sure we can build a logical argument here. Eastern religions are religions of resentment. Western religions are religions of resentment. And one can certainly describe Nietszche's writings as a "religion of resentment". So where does that leave us? You also describe these philosophies as veiled denials of Life. That of course would depend on your definition of Life is. And I don't know of anyone that has yet came up with a satisfactory answer to that one. But maybe you have?

Btw, did I mention how much I really enjoy reading your posts. Keep em coming..
  • Reply 20 of 46
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by majorspunk

Nietszche's writings as a "religion of resentment"

Who are you trying to fool.

You know nothing about philosophy, and from what I can tell you are still a teenager . . . if that . . .