Thanksgiving Thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For some of us here at AI we celebrate the thanksgiving holiday.

Tell us (for thouse of you celebrating it) what your plans are.

Also feel free to tell of any items of interest from past thanksgiving holidays.

And if you are so inclined you can share things you are thankful for in your life.

As for me I have two thanksgiving gatherings to go to one on thurs the other on fri. It is always fun talking about everything under the sun with all the family.

I am thankful for my family and friends

Please weigh in with your story and btw,, Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I will be going to my girlfriend's mom's house in the afternoon. We will eat too much and my girlfriend's two kid sisters (aged 8 and 11) will most likely want to give me my annual 'makeover'. In the evening, after I have washed the lipstick out of my eyes, we'll probably meet with friends at someone's apartment for a recovery party.

I'll second being thankful for family and friends. I'm also thankful for occasional three day work weeks
  • Reply 2 of 34
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    As of now I will be staying here at Cal since it cost too much to fly back to NYC and would be a bit of a hassle

there's a slim chance I might go to Portland to visit a friend there but the bus ride is a bit long (15 hours)

I'm thankful for having my first extended break since August 18th. 4 days of nor practice, training, class, whatever.......very very thankful for that.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    we're going downtown (chicago) to the thanksgiving parade and i'm psyched cause bonnie hunt and david alan grier are doing the t.v. broadcast and i really LOVE bonnie hunt.

then i'll fry a turkey we'll eat and i might even watch the cowboys since they are no longer a disgrace.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    I'm going to be going back home to California tomorrow. The day before thanksgiving I'll be going swing dancing, and on the actual day of thanksgiving I'll be celebrating the holiday and my birthday with my family.

As for what I'm thankful for: amazing friends, family, my dog, even more friends, trees, nature, sunsets, massages, the rain... I could go on and on Life is so good.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I will be going to the in-laws on Thursday and having something local with some of my family on Friday.

I'm very thankful for my wife and children. They are the highlight of everyday for me.

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 34
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Thanksgiving's the only holiday my gf and I spend apart. She and her brothers hook up and go home to Detroit, and I'll head to the lakeshore to my parent's place (or in this year's case, my brother and wife's house) for my bi-annual family obligation. Play with the nieces and nephew all day, eat some bird, then catch up later that evening in Lansing with my gf at her brother's place. Shoot some pool, drink some beer and eat leftovers.

Then on Saturday I make our 'own' Thanksgiving. Just her and me.

I'm thankful that I only see my parents twice a year.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    My wife and I will be cooking dinner at home and entertaining a co-worker, her husband and new baby. They are from China, so it will all be a very new experience for them.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My wife and I will continue our Thanksgiving tradition of eating out.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

As of now I will be staying here at Cal since it cost too much to fly back to NYC and would be a bit of a hassle

there's a slim chance I might go to Portland to visit a friend there but the bus ride is a bit long (15 hours)

I'm thankful for having my first extended break since August 18th. 4 days of nor practice, training, class, whatever.......very very thankful for that.

I'll drink to that...
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Thanksgiving will be relatively normal for me, we always have family over at my house, but this year my brother will be proposing to his girlfriend, so this year means a little more.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Par usual for me is the travelling from house to house, seeing all my grandparents and both my parents (divorced), and any friends I haven't seen in a while.

What am I thankful for?

Other than the obvious (e.g eternal salvation), how about the fact that my next to last semester is almost over!
  • Reply 12 of 34
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    There's 3 possibilities right now, and it's pretty last minute

- Me and my Ex-girlfriend have a small dinner together because we're the only vegetarians we know that don't have family dinners we're going to.

- I go with a girl I know that invited me to her aunt's house and eat mashed potatoes and green beans while the smell of turkey turns my stomach. ... But she's cute...

- I stay home and eat macaroni and cheese by myself and wonder why AppleInsider is so dead.

Even though the cute girl invited me to her aunt's I'll probably have some vegetarian feast with my ex so I can eat a full meal, and even though I'm still bitter about it, I'd rather not leave her on her own for Thanksgiving.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Why not bring your own food to the turkey bake? Maybe ask first so as not to offend the host?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Not a good day if your a turkey...

But in the spirit of thankfulness I will go out and plant a tree.

• Reply 15 of 34
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    That's what we did last year when we went to my father's house, it turned out ok. But this last minute I didn't feel like trying to figure out what I'd want to take. And I just got off the phone with her explaining that I'd rather just stay home. But she's cute... \
  • Reply 16 of 34
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

And I just got off the phone with her explaining that I'd rather just stay home. But she's cute... \

Olde saying..." Men have will..but women have their way "
  • Reply 17 of 34
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Thanksgiving...Thanksgiving was in October...but we don't begrudge the Americans having their own special day.

Enjoy yourselves and give thanks.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    I'm thankful for the skill of the people that pull the shot out of the goose I'm going to eat.

Anyway, here's the plan: I'm going to go to my parents house, and then we'll probably visit my grandmother. I won't eat too much because I hate the feeling of being full, and that night I'll probably watch some low-end TV and drink some whiskey.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    my sister emailed me last week about thanksgiving. my family (2 sisters and mother, less my brother) go see my uncle, aunt, and their 4 kids. every year they get a little older, but there's always one or two young enough to make the day hectic. they are very hyper, and always want to run and play and all, with me and my sisters.

so, this year, my older sister wants to plan out the day. she decided we're going to referee a game of baseball or something. this way, they'll get all tired out, and we can not get stuck talking with my relatives about how terrible our lives are. plus, being baseball is an outside game, i can smoke. i don't know how well the plan is going to pan out, because it may be too cold up there. there's also a lot to talk about this year, so i don't know if we'll be able to avoid the family the whole time.

i wish everyday was thanksgiving though, because i eat better on that day than any other. not just the turkey, but all the side stuff: stuffing, cranberry sauce, oh gawrsh. everything. o yea, and i'm thankful for my life, and my family's and friends health and safety. and i'm also thankful for drugs. sweet, sweet drugs.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    I'm thankful that my wife is healthy... and for our baby boy that is due in April.

Next year there will be 3 of us.