Princo DVD's

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone have any experience with them, I was looking at getting some of them for christmas but didn't know if I had to worry about compatibility or not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Never used their DVDs before, but I used Princo CDs at work a few years back and the silver stuff started flaking off after a few months.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Hmmm \ I plan on getting a pack of their DVD's...maybe I shouldn't, although I've never seen DVD's flake like I've seen CD's.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    verbatim.

only way to go
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

verbatim.

only way to go

Well the problem is they are expensive. Does anyone know a cheap place to buy like a 50 pack?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Trust me, when your media starts to go to shit on you down the road, and you really need that data, you'll be so glad you saved a few bucks when you bought them.

Just tell yourself "oh man that Playboy magazine and paper towels I bought with my savings were SO worth it!"
  • Reply 6 of 17
    dunno how much you're all paying for 4x DVD-R's, but you can pick up Verbatims for around $2.85 per.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    What about ritek, haha any better experiences?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Is there a decent brand of DVD that I can print on with my inkjet printer that doesn't cost $15 a disc?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

dunno how much you're all paying for 4x DVD-R's, but you can pick up Verbatims for around $2.85 per.

I found Verbatim 4x DVD-Rs for $1.92 each (50 pack) and they're inkjet printable.

PriceGrabber
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I found Verbatim 4x DVD-Rs for $1.92 each (50 pack) and they're inkjet printable.

PriceGrabber

I love you. Not really.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    hot damn!

thanks!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    No problem. I found these because I was looking up the prices of printable DVDs. I've yet to see an example of a disk printed from an inkjet printer.

I'm looking to buy an Epson that prints on disks...... how are the results? Bunge?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    How do TDKs rate? I swear by them for CDs... are their DVDs the same quality?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I have burned videos onto Apple, Maxell, Imation, and TDK DVDs. They all seem to work fine. I had thought all DVDs would perform the same, and for the most part, I believe they do. However, I alays run scrolling credits at the end of my videos using narrow white script letters on a black background. On all brands I have used (except for the Apple ones) there seems to be a slight "wiggling" back and forth of the letters as they scroll up the screen. Clients usually never notice this. But I am pretty anal so I have noticed it. Not a big deal, but just my two cents....

• Reply 15 of 17
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Alright. This is starting to piss me off.

How often should there be a "bad block" when I'm burning a DVD? 'Cause it's happening 100% of the time.

At first I thought it was the cheap brand-less see-through discs that I got for about a buck a pop. Understandable... I've had this kind of trouble with el-cheepo CDs before, so tonight I went out and bought a 25 pack of TDK 2x rated DVD-Rs for $49.

I've burned three DVDs so far, and every one of them has had a bad block. It's in a different place each time, so it's not the source, and I thought it might have had something to do with a buffer underrun, so I quit every single other program running, and let my computer do it's thing unhindered for the half hour it took. Again, a bad block.

Now, it's not a problem when I'm doing things with many small files... since the blocks are at different places, I can pretty much guarantee that on two discs all my files will be okay. (For example, my 4GB iPhoto Library.)

But, when I'm trying to burn a video DVD or a DVD with two or three movie files on it, then it is a problem.... the file becomes completely unreadable to DVD players, VLC, and all other programs.

I'm using Toast 5.1 under OS 10.2.8 on an iMac 800 with the 2x Superdrive DVR-104 (MMC3)... but I don't think it's the software. I mean, it burns CDs just fine. And I've burned a DVD from iDVD without a hitch before. That was an Apple branded one - the one that came with the computer.

Perhaps this should be a topic of it's own... it's kinda off topic. Oh well. It kinda fits here. And, all them DVD gurus are already looking at this thread

Any suggestions guys? I hate $2 coasters
  • Reply 16 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, get a DVD-RW for testing purposes. makes those $2 coasters much less of a problem.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I'm looking to buy an Epson that prints on disks...... how are the results? Bunge?

I don't know...yet. I have seen the results on other discs and they're admirable. Not as good as silk screening, but nice.