Prices seem to be coming down

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The Apple Store has Power Mac prices $200-400 down across the board, but when you click through, the old prices remain...

Sorry if this has been posted already.

Store

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Since the images at the top of the store rotate:

Here's the one he's referring to.

• Reply 2 of 22
    Thank you. I took a pic as well, but for some reason AI wouldn't accept it even though I converted it to a JPEG.

This seems pretty newsworthy to me. I'm surprised at the lack of reaction.

Won't it impact the sales of the 20" iMac, since a G5 with a monitor will now be significantly less than $2199?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Odd...those seem to be the education prices, don't they?

Maybe that particular graphic from the Education store got accidentally paired with the regular store header, via a web goof?

Wouldn't be Appe's first...

• Reply 4 of 22
    ^That's probably it.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    actually from what i've seen education prices are below the ones listed above. at least for intenal purchases. let me check the individual pages....

yep, that's the answer. those are personal purchase .edu prices.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Damn.

\
  • Reply 7 of 22
    They gotta fix that. It's too misleading. People are going to think that those prices are for everyone, and are going to be pissed when they find that that isn't the case.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

actually from what i've seen education prices are below the ones listed above. at least for intenal purchases. let me check the individual pages....

yep, that's the answer. those are personal purchase .edu prices.

Not for me - institutional and individual prices are the same. They lowered the prices on the individual purchases a couple months ago. Are yours really different?

Anyway, yeah that's probably just a mistake.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I checked the names of the graphics in both the Education store, and the regular store.

They are named differently and the education one definitely has "edu" in the name, whereas the regular store was called "cp_promo".

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/..._g5_112103.jpg

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/...1_8_g5_edu.jpg

Read into this what you will.

• Reply 10 of 22
    look... the graphic on the EDU store had grey writing and the one on the main store has red writing... they are different pictures and they have different file names and are located in different places
  • Reply 11 of 22
    if this really is a hint of discounts, i think we're definately in for a speed bump in january
  • Reply 12 of 22
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    See how it says "from $1599" and "from $2699" and stuff? Yeah, it STARTS AT $1599 if you qualify for the edu discount. That's like how those Mac catalogs can say "Up to dual 2.0 GHz processors! As low as $1799!"
  • Reply 13 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So the lower prices are still up, and there are reports that some people have phoned the Apple Store and were told that those prices would be honored until they are changed.

Right now may be the best time to buy a G5!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, our institution has lower pricing for departmental purchases than for personal. by a few hundred dollars in some cases. part of a price matching competition with Dell IIRC.

their price matching helped me purchase a dual 2gig with monetary justification, so i was very happy about the whole deal.

(a dual 2Ghz with 23" lcd were cheaper than a equivelent Xeon machine sans monitor of any kind)
  • Reply 15 of 22
    If these prices are for real for general purchase it means G5 sales have gone flat and/or there's something new coming in January. Interesting.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

If these prices are for real for general purchase it means G5 sales have gone flat and/or there's something new coming in January. Interesting.

or it means things get cheaper many months after initially released and apple is finally realizing people won't pay 3000 dollars for a product's entire 6-9 month life.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    The graphic has been changed on the apple store. It was a mistake. It's not armageddon.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Damn.

\
  • Reply 19 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

It's not armageddon.

not sure, thought i saw a chunk of sky coming down on the way home.....
  • Reply 20 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

not sure, thought i saw a chunk of sky coming down on the way home.....

That was blue ice.