Keynote rocks

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just wanted to let everyone know that Keynote rocks my world. I put together a presentation with it and it was super easy and looked great. I even got a couple "oooh"s and my professor saying that I'd get an "A" just for the cube transition. After they got over all that "wow" stuff, the presentation just looked damn good. It was a breeze. I love it. If you don't have it and have to do presentations, get it. You'll be happy you did.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    *patting him on the head*

That's nice, now go to Software where you belong.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

I just wanted to let everyone know that Keynote rocks my world. I put together a presentation with it and it was super easy and looked great. I even got a couple "oooh"s and my professor saying that I'd get an "A" just for the cube transition. After they got over all that "wow" stuff, the presentation just looked damn good. It was a breeze. I love it. If you don't have it and have to do presentations, get it. You'll be happy you did.

I agree with all this, except I don't have a professor anymore.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    What?! You mean it is possible to get an A without being sodomized?

... interesting.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I know it should have gone in software, but I'm not feeling well today. I figure it'll get moved eventually.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    *gentle shove*
  • Reply 6 of 20
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Keynote is awesome. I used it for my senior seminar presentation(last semester of college, yay) and I got the "wow" look after the first cube transition. Definitely an awesome program.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Absolutely.

Between that and OmniGraffle, I was able to whip up a conference presentation that had people coming up afterwards just to comment on the presentation itself.

Oh, they liked the content too.

Tweren't no widdle meeting, neither... IEEE International Conf on Automated Software Engineering.

Personally, I like the cube transition for 'chapter' changes, and a wipe for 'page to page'. The cube grabs the attention of anyone dozing off.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Keynote + iMol (which can render QuickTime movies of molecules rotating) has made my chem lab presentation full of gratuitous eye-candy which will hopefully make up for a lack of usable data.

It looks quite neat if you take a transparent movie of a bit of DNA rotating along one axis and put another transparent movie of the same bit of DNA rotating along another axis on top of it. At first it looks like a picture of DNA, then it breaks up and rotates along multiple axes until the pieces almost match up again, then reverses direction and reforms the original picture. Repeat.

Oooh ... Shiny!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mountainyeti42

It looks quite neat if you take a transparent movie of a bit of DNA rotating along one axis and put another transparent movie of the same bit of DNA rotating along another axis on top of it. At first it looks like a picture of DNA, then it breaks up and rotates along multiple axes until the pieces almost match up again, then reverses direction and reforms the original picture. Repeat.

I'm not sure if this is what you're doing, but a little-known fact of Keynote is that it can key QT movies that contain an embedded alpha channel. I used this in a presention introducing HMI's new Mirra chair this year, and it absolutely blew the audience away.

Keynote rocks.

PS: And if version 2.0 includes a cross-platform viewer, I will toss PPT out forever.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    'Spain please - do you mean showing QT movies in the frame with a transparency setting?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

'Spain please - do you mean showing QT movies in the frame with a transparency setting?

No, QT movies with an embedded alpha channel will make everything except what's 'keyed' completely transparent. Exactly like a jpeg, pict, tiff, etc. with an alpha will act...just in motion.

It's perfect for 3D models or anything created in AfterEffects or the like.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

What?! You mean it is possible to get an A without being sodomized?

... interesting.

Wow...just....wow. I don't even know where to start with this one. Dang. I'm not gonna touch that with a 10 foot pole.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Answer me this and I`ll be sold on Keynote: does it have an easier way to order animations that PowerPoint. The inability to just drag and drop was driving me crazy last night!

Actually, on the subject of animations, how much more advanced is it than PowerPoint? For example if I wanted to loop two images fading in and out of each other could I do that without copying and pasting each image multiple times and then having multiple fade ins and fade outs (as I think I'd have to do in PowerPoint) Or does Keynote allow you to animate objects to move around a slide?

I've been thinking a lot about presentation software recently since I had to give my first-ever lectures this week. Heck, I even bought a new iBook since I didn't want to fight the university's ThinkPads. I actually really enjoyed putting my presentation together but kept on feeling limited by PowerPoint. Do you feel more free to do what you want with Keynote?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Keynote does have a definate advantage over PP. And if you are really paranoid (cause if you save as PP it does not give all the transistions that great, or they will default to whatever that freggin' stale hunk of crap can handle) just export it as a quicktime movie. Full Res. Then you can click as you go, just as you would in keynote. The only difference being, is that on the QT, you cannot go backwards (at least I have not been able to do so). I do have a question for those of you whom are more experienced with keynote..how do you embed a song, or soundtrack *thoughout* the entire presentation, looped if you can too? I can put it on one page, but cannot get it to go past the first one. I can put that same sound, song, etc. on other pages, but it restarts the music for each frame advanced. Thanks.

~tommy
  • Reply 15 of 20
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Following up from my previous questions, I noticed that Keynote allows you to import Flash files, which I don't think PowerPoint can do (correct me if I'm wrong). How well does this work? Does doing this allow more complex animations? Granted, I have no clue how to use Flash, but maybe it could become a fun project...
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

does it have an easier way to order animations that PowerPoint. The inability to just drag and drop was driving me crazy last night!

Yes and no. One of Keynote's major shortcomings is that you can't have 'y' animation start automatically after 'x' animation. It takes a mouse click (or space bar) to cycle through EVERY transition. Kind of annoying. Drag and drop works beautifully in Keynote.

Quote:

Actually, on the subject of animations, how much more advanced is it than PowerPoint? For example if I wanted to loop two images fading in and out of each other could I do that without copying and pasting each image multiple times and then having multiple fade ins and fade outs (as I think I'd have to do in PowerPoint) Or does Keynote allow you to animate objects to move around a slide?

Again, it's a give and take. Keynote's stock animations and transitions are wonderful, but you're pretty much tied into what 'they' think is best. I personally wish there was a bit more control (ie: start and stop point, x seconds delay, etc.). In the case of your multiple image question...no. You'll probably be best off creating a QT movie and then looping it on one slide for that sort of thing.

Quote:

Do you feel more free to do what you want with Keynote?

As a designer, yes. As a presentation programmer, no.

Quote:

Originally posted by tommy_thompson

..how do you embed a song, or soundtrack *thoughout* the entire presentation, looped if you can too?

You can't. I'm really hoping this is high on the list of v2 features.

I've never tried importing a Flash file, so I can't comment on how well that works.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by tommy_thompson

The only difference being, is that on the QT, you cannot go backwards (at least I have not been able to do so).

In QT player you should be able to use the left/right arrow keys to step forward or backwards in a movie.

Quote:

I do have a question for those of you whom are more experienced with keynote..how do you embed a song, or soundtrack *thoughout* the entire presentation, looped if you can too?~tommy

The rough workaround is to simply play music with something like iTunes and have that hidden while the presentation is going on.

If you were really clever you could figure a way using AppleScript to see which slide is being viewed and then tell iTunes to play the appropriate music (with looping if needed).

Problem is that Keynote seems not to be scriptable. However, I know that Salling Clicker uses AppleScript to control Keynote so there must be some way around this.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Yes and no. One of Keynote's major shortcomings is that you can't have 'y' animation start automatically after 'x' animation. It takes a mouse click (or space bar) to cycle through EVERY transition. Kind of annoying. Drag and drop works beautifully in Keynote.

Again, it's a give and take. Keynote's stock animations and transitions are wonderful, but you're pretty much tied into what 'they' think is best. I personally wish there was a bit more control (ie: start and stop point, x seconds delay, etc.). In the case of your multiple image question...no. You'll probably be best off creating a QT movie and then looping it on one slide for that sort of thing.

As a designer, yes. As a presentation programmer, no.

You can't. I'm really hoping this is high on the list of v2 features.

I've never tried importing a Flash file, so I can't comment on how well that works.

Reading this post it sounds like you guys may be able to help me. I am putting together a click through presentation for an event and need to create a slide with the sponsor logos popping up in order. Does Keynote have this functionality or is it a case that we create a quicktime - if the latter, how do we get the quicktime to loop until we click to the next slide?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Just noticed how long old this forum is - things may have moved on a bit - let me know if you are still around
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I know you'll probably see this, but that was a funny comment. I literally laughed out loud... by myself.