Graphic design student's uses of a mac (?)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm a high school student who is fairly tech-savvy... but with PC's. I have never touched an Apple except for the old 1980's ones.

I am preparing for a job in web/graphic design, however, and have noticed that some of my favorite designers use Macs rather than PC's. I've done a bit of research, and have pretty much decided to either bribe or threaten my parents to buy my one for my birthday.

However, I'm having trouble answering their questions about *why* a Mac is better than a PC for web/print design. I'm going to the Apple store soon, hopefully they'll be able to answer their questions... I'm pretty sure that may convince them, but just in case... I'd like your guys input!

Thanks! Hopefully no body disses me, because I'm sure this question's been answer millions of times!

~Sapper

Potential convert

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    There's plenty of design people here who I'm sure can add good feedback I'm not one of them though

Anyways, here's Apple's page on Design/Print in case you haven't seen it, it looks like it's a bit dated though:

http://www.apple.com/creative/designprint/

Apple's general Pro page:

http://www.apple.com/pro/
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Let me get the obvious out of the way...Macs are just better, not only at graphic design, but at everything. Apple and its developers have always concentrated hard on very powerful multimedia apps, for example; Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Poser, Bryce...the list goes on. To a less powerful degree, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD...very functional as well as user friendly. There are tons of great apps written and now optimized for the G5. Photoshop screams on a G5, it makes a Xeon or P4 cry like a little girl. The graphics cards are big and powerful. A mac is just the right way to go for graphic/multimedia design. No question. I don't know all the technical stuff, but in my experience, and I have a lot of experience, you can't go wrong with a Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Here is my wisdom. Mac is not better than a "windows" machine, and a "Windows" is not better than a Mac. It really all depends on users preference. There are many things though that are much easier to do on a mac because of it's "ease of use". As DMBand stated, Photoshop ( a main graphic design suite) runs quite fast on a Dual 2Ghz G5. Faster than a Intel or amd based machine. Many video producers and home users use mac instead of a pc because of Final cut pro, iMovie etc... There just easy to use, and because they were written for Mac, and mac alone, they are very fast, faster than anyother program that could be written for the pc. Windows XP right now is I think diing, system crashes are a common thing now. Mac OS X, you can be assured your data is safe, and your compuer wont freeze. XP is slower than a pile of sticks from all the viruses and spyware, and just poor design ( i honestly thing windows 98 is better than XP. But if you want a computer that will last and get the job done with speed. Get a mac. If you want a cheap fast machine get a pc, but it's not recommended around here.

ex: I have a Dual 200Mhz PowerMac 9600 from early 1997, and I still use that for my main photoshop computer. It's snappy enough to get things done fast. I may have a Voodoo5 Radeon 7000 in there, and probably about 1.2GB ram, and a fast 10,000rpm hard drive, but a new G5 will out perform this easy, but it's still fast.

I have a old PowerMac 7100 66Mhz, that I use for music writing in my "mini-studio" It works perfect for me.

And if you want even older, I have a Mac from 1989, that's right 15 years old. Not a single part has ever been replaced. I use it for typing, and a large alarm clock, but hey, I can type on it and it keeps up with me! lol

I'd tell ya to get a mac. I think the Dual 1.8Ghz will suite you fine. w/ a 20" cinema, and you will have one of the fastest, most stylish computers on the block!
  • Reply 4 of 33
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Actually I think they stopped making Poser for the Mac, and I thought I heard Bryce was soon to follow, but they aren't really cornerstone applications for design. But then again the more software titles there are for the Mac, the better. Like Altivec said, it really depends on the person. I think that one of the main reasons that plenty of designers use Macs are because A) Tradition/history; it all pretty much started on Apple computers. Back when Apple had a clear lead in the market (quite a while ago market-share-wise ) the platform was making a lot of advances in the field. and B) A lot of graphic artists and designers tend to fit into the artsy, style loving cliche that are a lot of Mac users. I'm not saying that what computer you use is a good judge of character, but that quite a lot of Mac users are so because they fell in love with the OS, or the hardware designs, or the Mac cult following, etc. after using a Mac for a while. A standard benchmark test that you'll find done over the years is Photoshop performance, it's an old favorite. I think mainly the Mac has just found a niche in the design community, I'm a design student and a Mac user, not sure if it's a coincidence or if I gravitated more towards the Mac because of my advancement through school pushed me this way or what. Either way, if you're already looking at the possible benefits of using a Mac then it's worth exploring your options, but what kind of computer you use doesn't make a designer any better or worse. It all depends on what better suits your work habits.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Snapper what part of media do you want to work in? Print, Video, Web?

If you were web i'd say keep a PC handy, as some things you can only code I hear currently only on PC like .net and the like (eww) but other than that if you think you're confident figure out a way to try out a mac for a month or so and see if you like it. Though speed and video games aren't the strong points right now in terms of usability Mac OS is far and beyond that of windows in a lot of ways. I won't say Microsoft sux, I mean Bill did do a good job making PC's available for everyone. Try it out and see if you like it. If you want to video work I say right now get a mac Final Cut Pro is just so good, and much easier than any other program out there for the same purpose, and pretty fast now with G5's out. For print, its really you're personal preference. If you do a lot of work like me, right now computers are so fast its not about how fast your computer is but about your working environment and what you like. However I have our whole agency on macs, and we get a lot of strength using just one platform, especially with music sharing , and well applescript, filesharing (god what a breeze on mac), everything is just much more elegant. But then again its my personal preference, if you're been branded windows, at first it'll be hard to understand how easy things can really be. Like using a computer.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I always thought ColorSync was a plus for accurate color.

Honestly man unless you are doing video (which Final Cut Pro is the best) it isn't going to matter much. XP is just fine for web and desktop publishing. It really is a matter of history I think. Scott Kelby (if you use photoshop you should know him) is a strong mac user who although PS is the same on mac and PC (set up wise) he will only use a mac.

All in all it's up to you, truthfully you can do just as much on a PC (minus video) as you can on the mac equally easy, but it's all about preference.

<standard pro-mac statement>

Although I do know if you used a mac for a month or two full time your preference would switch from PC to mac

</standard pro-mac statement>
  • Reply 7 of 33
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Speed.

Moving between open folder windows and open document windows has traditionally been a much faster and cleaner experience with the Macintosh operating system. With the arrival of OS X 10.3's Exposé feature those of us working on Macs will only become faster. Wait until you're working between Photoshop, Illustrator and a web design app. Navigation is important, the Mac's interface is the least cluttered and has only been getting better.

Viruses? I have no downtime trying to scrape the goop out of my system files. This keeps me up and running (and laughing) while my PC counterparts sit around and talk about the latest virus updates. More money in my pocket.

That damned START key down at the bottom left of the Windows keyboard is an abomination to keyboard commands. I hope that there's a way to turn it off because when you're working in ANY application as a power user you are going to need to issue key commands with those modifier keys. Having that idiotic START menu leap up onto the screen fills me with rage. That alone is worth changing platforms.

Graphic designers have long appreciated the simple uncluttered work environment of the Mac. The attention to detail in the fit and finish of the OS is what keeps us there.

If you attend a school for graphic design much of your decision may be affected by that school's requirements..but know this: most any designer out there teaching was likely raised on a Mac and most proficient on a Mac. You'll spend less time having them fight the OS and more time learning your apps.

Go to the Apple store, play with a machine for an hour or two. Go to your local PC reseller and play on those machines. Get a feel for them and then decide for yourself. If it costs an extra couple hundred dollars remember that you get what you pay for.....
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Haha I never thought about it but the START key is the really REALLY annoying!

AppleScript is also good for doing tedious stuff. As well as integrated PDF creation, although I think that may be in XP as well.

I will say that I am glad you can change commands in PhotoShop CS because I get really annoyed how ctrl-delete (backspace) is the background color and alt-delete (backspace) is the foreground.

It is screwy because foreground color is on the left and background is on the right, so it's reversed. I never knew which was which and just tried both until a couple months ago I realized I could remember it by left foreground right background because that is how they appear in the tools palette. (I hope I worded it all correctly because I am not proof reading it)
  • Reply 9 of 33
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    If you're in Print, there are three programs you really need. Illustrator, Photoshop and Quark (yes there's InDesign, but Quark is still the standard).

These three are available on both platforms...so it boils down to workflow and suppliers. If you've used a PC all your life, yes it'll take adjusting to a Mac. But once you get the hang of it, it's like butter.

Most suppliers can handle both platforms but my experience is that it's still a Mac world in the print medium.

I would also venture to guess the majority of good design firms are on Macs. So if you're looking for work after school is done, get use to working on a Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Heh, I was in a print shop the other week and I was looking at some of their computers. They had a PowerMac (older, pre g3) and what looked like a mac classic...I mean it was a AIO with a 8" screen or something.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    I am a graphics student (print, a little web) and I can say get used to seeing Macs in the printing world. Also, be prepared to see any and every make of Mac. Depending on how much the company wants to spend to upgrade, you're going to see some crazy machines. I know I have in the 17 years of printing I have under my belt. There are plenty of PC's being used too. They're tools and people will use whatever they know and/or can afford.

Funny thing about Quark : They don't offer a course for it any more. Its InDesign now at my school. I believe they weren't too generous with the software and Adobe is. I wish they offered both as I know I will be asked if I know Quark when I get back to the real world.

I think my printing experience is going to be a major plus when I graduate though. I know many graphics students right now that have never even stepped into a print shop.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    There maybe some problem with schools these days are so tight with budget. They maybe still using old machines running OS 9.

As OS 9 is no longer in development and all new apps are now OS X only.

Just make sure the schools you are attending are using (or start using) OS X at least at certain degree.

If you learn OS 9 full time in school you maybe having hard time after you get out from school
  • Reply 13 of 33
    I was thinking about getting a laptop, probably an iBook G4 due to my budget.

What kind of Mac do you guys think I should get? I'll be doing word processing, listenging to music, internet surfing, graphic & web design on it. Minimal games (Alpha Centauri came out in 1998 so I'm not too worried!)
  • Reply 14 of 33
    If you are going to be using a laptop for graphic work, then I would consider putting a crt monitor in your budget to hook up to your iBook. Laptops are not very good at picking colours, since everything changes depending on the angle you look at.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sapper46123

I'm a high school student who is fairly tech-savvy... but with PC's. I have never touched an Apple except for the old 1980's ones.

I am preparing for a job in web/graphic design, however, and have noticed that some of my favorite designers use Macs rather than PC's. I've done a bit of research, and have pretty much decided to either bribe or threaten my parents to buy my one for my birthday.

However, I'm having trouble answering their questions about *why* a Mac is better than a PC for web/print design. I'm going to the Apple store soon, hopefully they'll be able to answer their questions... I'm pretty sure that may convince them, but just in case... I'd like your guys input!

Thanks! Hopefully no body disses me, because I'm sure this question's been answer millions of times!

~Sapper

Potential convert

If your parents aren't even going to be using the Mac, then why do they need an explanation? It's only been obvious that Macs have dominated the creative services sector since...forever!

Just tell them that it will benefit you by putting on your resume that you are both Mac and Windows proficient. It will help you in future jobs where Macs are most likely the preferred platform and you won't have to worry about the learning curve while on the job.

YOU are using the Mac, NOT your parents.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    lainlain Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sapper46123

I was thinking about getting a laptop, probably an iBook G4 due to my budget.

Er I dont think u should do that. Unless portability is a "must". An e-Mac would be faster and cheaper. The limiting factor in an iBook, is the resolution, it is pretty tedious to design on such a low resolution all the toolbards get in the way of seeing your work. Also, the output resolution to an external monitor remains the same - but I think u can get a "utility" to sort that out - . Finaly the total RAM capacity is 640mb on an e-Mac its 1gb.

As far as hardware features for dollar go, desktop systems outperform portables.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    I don't know if you must also buy your software but this is what I use for Web and Print Design : Macromedia Studio MX 2004 & Adobe Creative Suite CS Standard and some fonts. With all these software you're good to go ! No need at all for Quark "the dead" XPress. InDesign will be the standard in a few year (transparency, PDF, tables, etc.).

About platform choice, this is up to you. You can do exactly the same thing with the both. But if you are doing Web development, maybe the PC is a better choice, because of "MS standard" (ASP.net, more than 95% surfer use IE for Win, etc.).

If your are more in design : Go for the Mac ! You will discover a lot of creative way to do things, with help of AppleScript and ColorSync for print and Unix Tools for Web development.

But I will not buy an iBook G4. Like someone said the screen is too small. If you can go for a Dual G5 1.8 or a PowerBook G4 it will be a lot better.

There is another posssibility : eBay, but I think it's not good idea to buy *a first Mac* on eBay. Yon never know what you can get. You need to have experience or a friend who knows very well the Apple world of used Mac.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeromba

No need at all for Quark "the dead" XPress. InDesign will be the standard in a few year (transparency, PDF, tables, etc.)

If you are serious about finding a job in the graphics industry, I would not follow this advice. As fantastic as InDesign is, it has barely made a dent in the industry. Look on any job website, the Quark knowledge out numbers InDesign about 50-1 in the graphics field.

That may change 3 years from now, but I assume you'll want a job before then. Sure it's a pain in the ass, but right now Quark is what everyone uses.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

If you are serious about finding a job in the graphics industry, I would not follow this advice. As fantastic as InDesign is, it has barely made a dent in the industry. Look on any job website, the Quark knowledge out numbers InDesign about 50-1 in the graphics field.

That may change 3 years from now, but I assume you'll want a job before then. Sure it's a pain in the ass, but right now Quark is what everyone uses.

Just right know... i'm finishing a 64 pages cmyk magazine and two 12 pages folders in InDesign... all must be finished in 20 hours... all with photos, logos, transparency, tables, layers, photoshop layered files, etc...

You will need a lot of xtension to do what I do now.

I have used QuarkXPress for 10 years and I switch to InDesign with version 2.0 and Puma (Mac OS X 10.1) !!! Never had a problem with it and my files. I give PDF-X1a files to my printer without any problems at all... so... a LOT less than quark... no need to be scary about RGB, missing fonts or not the same version of them... so no reflow, EPS with JPEG compression , etc.)

Oh and btw... this is my job for living... I can't use something that don't work 200%... and Indy CS with PDF give me that and more.

Quark is really dead. PDF is king. I assume that a lot of agency are throwing away the cost to do "films?" and go to CTP. So PDF is the ticket and InDesign the ride to go.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeromba

Quark is really dead. .

I don't know how people can be so naive. I'm not debating how good Indesign is, or that it can't do alot more than Quark. If he's looking for a job in pre-press, then he is going to have to familiarize himself with Quark - there's no way around that. Sure, he could hit the money pot and get hired by a company that works exclusively in InDesign, but that is not likely. You would be hard pressed to find a print shop using OSX let alone InDesign. Of course if he intends to stay strictly on being a designer or graphic artist, he doesn't need to know either.