$99 iPod On Friday?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
One site (iPodHacks.com) is spreading a rumor that Apple will offer a $99 iPod. Me thinks not. Perhaps $149-$199 in the current form factor is a possibility, but $99 - no way. Except, if it were to be a larger version (ala Rev. 1) with changeable batteries and back to the old mechanical scroll wheel... then maybe? We'll see what the "several surprises" Apple promises are, soon enough.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    If they do release such a thing, my Christmas shopping is DONE.

(please please please please Steve)
  • Reply 2 of 61
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I've always thought that there's a need for an entry level iPod. Re-introduce the 5gb version with the new casing but perhaps cut out the dock connector for $199.

Even though the iPod is the currently the best selling MP3 player on the market, it needs to go for the jugular. By addressing the low end of the market, it'll squash any possible competitors and secure the MP3 market(and iTMS) for good.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I wonder how cheap Apple can make (quality) iPods and still make an acceptable profit out of them. $99 sounds too low, but $149 to $199 is a bit more realistic.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    although i think it's a great idea, i don't think Apple is going to be releasing an "entry level" iPod any time soon.

for one thing, Apple never really caters to lowest common denominator, they make premium products that cost a good amount. it's just not Apple's style to release a "cheapy" version.

i very well might eat my words, but i don't see a cheap iPod coming out... if so, definitely not $99. maybe a $200 model?
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaz

for one thing, Apple never really caters to lowest common denominator

i tunes for windows?
  • Reply 6 of 61
    if apple went ahead for this 99 dollar ipod then that is one way to get everybody on a pc to use itunes cos pc users will go for this................ hey i bet soon there will be a apple branded computer running windows.......... crazy but very very smart marketing move.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    SJ was quoted in Newsweek that they'd love to make a $100 iPod. I don't think it's ready now, buy something a little higher may fit the bill. It certainly would be a surprise on Friday.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    So I take it with the iTunes for winwows realease, the iPod now works with itunes instead of musicmatch?
  • Reply 9 of 61
    You can transfer the Musicmatch files to iTunes and then to the iPod I believe. There's a posting at Applecare.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

One site (iPodHacks.com) is spreading a rumor that Apple will offer a $99 iPod.

That sounds too good to be true, although I would certainly jump on a $99 iPod (or two, the first one for my wife, the second for me). I wouldn't even mind if it were based on flash memory instead of a small HDD. But I think that a $199 5GB iPod is more likely. Even though I hope that Apple introduces a small flash memory-based iPod, I fear that they won't sell anything that can fit your entire MP3 collection (or at least a substantial chunk of it).

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 61
    I think they should release a miniPod. I like the idea of those very small mp3 players, even if they only hold a small amount of music.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I think they should release a miniPod. I like the idea of those very small mp3 players, even if they only hold a small amount of music.

Ewy ewy ew!
  • Reply 13 of 61
    There was a report a few days ago suggesting that Apple's profit margins at least on the high-end iPod was $175. Assuming this is true for all three models (which is doubtful, since margins tend to go down towards the bottom end of a product line, then the cheapest they could sell the 10GB model for (currently $299) is $124...and that without making ANY profit at all on the thing.

Something else to consider...people keep saying "Introduce the 5GB for $99"...but this presumes (probably incorrectly) that the 5GB drives are actually that much cheaper than a 10GB drive. They probably are not.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

There was a report a few days ago suggesting that Apple's profit margins at least on the high-end iPod was $175.

That's gotta be bull. First off, Apple keeps it's margins under lock and key and I highly doubt such a specific leak could occur without more media coverage. Second, there is no way Apple is turning over 35% on these things...maybe on gross margins, not profit. In the manufacturing business, 10% is considered highway robbery. However, given the fact that Apple typically doesn't drop prices much in a single product cycle, it's possible they pull in up to 20% or so toward the end of a particular cycle if prices on several components drop at once, but I'm sure that's a rarity.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Ewy ewy ew!

I didn't say I'd get one... I love my iPod. But I've seen a couple of the small mp3 players and am impressed that it can play music at all. small. very small. like this -----> .
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Why fix what obviously aint broke? The most incredable thing about the iPod is that it is able to hold an entire music collection, even if the user has 40gb of music. I wouldn't buy anything less than the 20gb so that I can fit all my music on it. I don't really want to pay all that money for it, but I also would not buy a $99 "mini/sub/insert crazy name herePod." It wouldn't hold all my music, it wouldn't be functional as an external FW drive, it wouldn't be as stunning or as functional as an iPod. Thats one lost sale right there, and I'm assuming many more as well. The iPod has built its reputation on having the largest HDs, the most functionality, the best of everything. I pray that Apple doesn't ruin that.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    I can see a $99 iPod happening. Like someone posted earlier, go for the jugular. This would do it.

Also, Apple's music strategy is clearly in the iTunes Music Store. The more people on iPods, the better number of users on ITMS, the better the rates they can negotiate with studios, the better the profits.

Mid-market people complain that Macs are more expensive then their PC counterparts, a cheapo iPod would make Apple completely mass market and potentially get some switchers along the way.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    $99? Not on it's own (remember that Apple makes their profit on the iPod, not on iTMS), but maybe as a promo when buying a new Mac. That wouldn't shock me a bit, especially if it's only for a limited time or only through an Apple Store. Too bad I already bought a new Mac!
  • Reply 19 of 61
    am i right, the expansivst (sorry, alien) part is he small hd?

how 'bout an iPod with a kind of RAM disk? are 5Gigs are soo $$$?

and:

form factor will be again just a little smaller - just the screen, butttons at the side...
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Toshiba drives wholesale for about $50 for the 5 Gig and up to about $125 for 40 gig I believe. The 20 and 40 Gig are dual disc.