The 2004 MWSF Prediction Thread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With MacWorld San Francisco just about six weeks away, what do you think we'll see?

(P.S.: And no, I don't think we'll see any 20-inch PowerBooks )

With the flurry of hardware announcements regarding the iMac 20-inch and the iBook G4, I don't think we'll see any action on those fronts. Power Macs seem less likely to be "bumped" by showtime, but later in January or in February. The only thing I can see as far as new hardware goes are new PowerBooks and new iPods. The rest of the show I think will be left to new applications or application upgrades, such as iPhoto, which was hinted at by Steve Jobs at an analyst's meeting last month.

So start making your realistic expectations of what you feel is likely Apple will announce come January...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    nr9nr9 Posts: 182member
    sex sells
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I honestly think that the PowerMac G5 will top out at 2.5Ghz shaping the product line like this

Dual 2.5Ghz G5

Dual 1.8Ghz G5

Single 2Ghz G5

The G5 Xserver will probably also be released, I wouldn't doubt it since it's taken this long already, and it basically is a server processor.

I think the iMac G4 might get a boost to 1.42 or 1.33, (that's a question of why shouldn't it, no reason why not)

And a minor OS update

That's mine, anything about the 20th anniversary anyone know?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I have to admit that I have no idea what could possibly show up at MWSF. There are a number of things I think we can rule out:

* iMacs (they were refreshed in September and got a 20" model in November)

* PowerBooks

* PowerMac G5s shipped in August, and it would just be a speed bump anyways

* iBooks

* iPods

* major OS X revisions

As far as hardware goes, that leaves us with a revised eMac (which only received a price cut in the fall), new displays, and/or a totally new device as our options. That's assuming that hardware is updated at all at MWSF. Remember, it might not be!

When it comes to software, it's a little harder to determine. A new version of Safari (1.5?) might be feasible, since MWSF is where the app was announced last year. New versions of some of the iApps are entirely possible. And AppleWorks is long, long overdue for an update.

My belief: the main hardware lines won't get their updates until later (February for the PowerMac, for example), but Apple may either revise the eMac or announce a whole new computer - perhaps to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the original Mac (though I'm pretty sure that it won't be called a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh). New displays are a distinct possibility given that the pro computers aren't using any transparencies or whites in their designs anymore. What I suspect the most is that Apple will have something brand new, hardware or software, that people will probably go gaga over and feel obligated to run out and buy.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I honestly think that the PowerMac G5 will top out at 2.5Ghz shaping the product line like this

Dual 2.5Ghz G5

Dual 1.8Ghz G5

Single 2Ghz G5

Huh? a 500mhz difference between faster and fastest? I don't think so. It would be less of a gap, and the 2ghz would be bottom line-

single 2.0ghz

dula 2.25ghz

dual2.5ghz

or so. More even jumps between models.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    new displays is a given...just a matter of time...either before x-mas buying season, or after...preferably before...as I just sold my 23"...

I think Powerbooks will get a minor bump...hard drive capacity?, price drop? new rebates and incentives?...perhaps...

and despite, what common sense tells me, I think a 20" PB is possible (or a larger than 17" PB for that matter)..... maybe not in January...but eventually...

Apple loves to use the 'coolness' factor and 'shock' factor to sell products...and anything larger than 17" is a goddam shock...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Predictions for this years MWSF are rather hard to dream up, atleast dreams based on shreds of information from the manufactures.

It is a given that the G5 will be upgraded sometime around then. If not there would be an awfully big jump in performance to meet the publicly declared speed of 3GHz in a year. Who knows they may hit 3GHz in January.

Don't count the IMac out, remember they in effect only added a bigger display. That addition is a no brainer, and could very well be a sign that Apple is being much more agressive in going after holiday sales. Hey there is a first time for everybody. A significant upgrade is possible, G4's, SMP SOC G4"s, and possibly an improved 970. considering the rumored new design for the IMacs seems to be a possibility. If they make the things servicable and quick I may be in. In the long run though I do have my eye set on a SMP based machine. Give that capability to a IMac and wooohoo.

The powerbooks are due for an upgrade I just don't see a 970 in them. That doesn't mean that Apple doesn't have an alternative, just that I'm not convinced that the 970+ is going to cut the mustard.

One other thing don't expect all of these fancy upgrades at one show. Apple may spread them out over a month or two. It would be a big show otherwise. I don't pay much attention to the consumer market so I don't even have a clue there.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

With MacWorld San Francisco just about six weeks away, what do you think we'll see?

(P.S.: And no, I don't think we'll see any 20-inch PowerBooks )

With the flurry of hardware announcements regarding the iMac 20-inch and the iBook G4, I don't think we'll see any action on those fronts. Power Macs seem less likely to be "bumped" by showtime, but later in January or in February. The only thing I can see as far as new hardware goes are new PowerBooks and new iPods. The rest of the show I think will be left to new applications or application upgrades, such as iPhoto, which was hinted at by Steve Jobs at an analyst's meeting last month.

So start making your realistic expectations of what you feel is likely Apple will announce come January...

• Reply 7 of 17
    This is the first MWSF in a LONG time that doesn't seem to have any enormous pent-up demand behind it. They could totally cruise through with simple speed bumps.

Lots of iTMS facts & figures.

At least one software surprise.

Maybe something to keep building the iPod name-brand recognition.

Maybe we can just get Phil Schiller to jump off an 8' platform some more. That would be fun.

What I'd REALLY like to see is how Adobe presents their product this time around, the antagonism between the companies has been disturbing for the last year. I want resolution.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I agree with drewprops. No new hardware, except maybe displays. It's going to be all about music and software.

The iPod and iTMS are a big fad right now. Apple's got to ride it while they can, because it will fade fast as all fads do.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I like the part in the analyst's conference call when they outline the cash reserves, and comment that some of it is being earmarked for future acquisitions...

Like maybe Apple Computer is going to purchase Alias from SGI...

Mmmm!!! Apple Maya!!!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    For the first time in years, I have no idea at all what we will see! Kinda refreshing.

I have a suspicion that this may be a software only MW, unless we get a Quicktake camera or something...

Kind of makes it all the more exciting!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

What I'd REALLY like to see is how Adobe presents their product this time around, the antagonism between the companies has been disturbing for the last year. I want resolution.

Forget the last few years, the animosity has been going on for decades!

One thing for sure is that it won't end any time soon...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Placid Casual

For the first time in years, I have no idea at all what we will see! Kinda refreshing.

I have a suspicion that this may be a software only MW, unless we get a Quicktake camera or something...

Kind of makes it all the more exciting!

I don't think there is any way that Apple can top Canon's EOS 300D / Digital Rebel / Digital Kiss dSLR camera (Apple actually sells this camera in their stores). I just picked one up last Friday and this camera is simply amazing! I just don't believe that Apple could outdo a company that is solely focused on making cameras.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    i kinda agree that i think there won't be tons of hardware this year, except maybe new aluminum displays (which i'm waiting IMPATIENTLY for)

but i'd love to see them push iTunes/iPod. they're definitely on a roll with this thing - they're going to need all the momentum they can get when Microsoft throws their weight behind their own "solution" for the bazillions of dell users...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spaz

...they're going to need all the momentum they can get when Microsoft throws their weight behind their own "solution" for the bazillions of dell users...

And what kind of solution can they possibly come up with that won't be riddled with bugs and security problems. They should just buy Kazaa and release that piece of shit. Better yet, just setup an IIS box with a redirect to the iTunes Music Store
  • Reply 15 of 17
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    I think that it's quite likely we'll be seeing the new iMacs near the very beginning of the year, as the most recent refresh was Summer '03.

Apple basically needs to come up with a new drooltastic consumer-oriented system, whether or not this means a very significant enclosure re-design. G5 processors, kick-ass video card, good amount of DDR RAM (256MB+ base), 15" thru 20" display models, and effective pricing (while maintaining good margins).

It's tough to say what the pricing will look like, but it would be nice to see the new 15" iMac come down in price a bit. Apple also needs to take a look at the Emac and either stick with upgrading its guts or introduce a new low-cost model of some form.

In the interest of keeping this post short, I'll ignore both the Powerbook and Xserve lines. This could end up being a rather lengthy keynote for Steve, with a laundry list of new products and updates.

Combine all of the above with significant Powermac tower speed bumps, and Apple will have a far stronger overall product line-up than they have had in the past couple of years. I see good things ahead for Apple in 2004 revenue-wise (duh), as long as they are smart about revamping the entry level, consumer and pro ranges.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member

i like your style!

i think the "what's gonna be left" thread sums it all up!