Laptop dilemma

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for an Apple laptop again. The last one I owned was a 667mhz tibook I bought at the end of 2001--before the level 3 cache and all of that business. I had to sell it in order to buy computers for my office, so I've been in withdrawl since. My problem is that I don't know what to buy or what to expect.

Portability is definately the most important factor, so I really want one of the 12" models--but I'm also not in a position to spend a ton of money.

How do these compare to my old tibook? I know the newer Powerbooks have been updated (cache etc), so they have gains other than just clockspeed... what about the G4 iBooks? I know they're at a disadvantage, but what about compared to my 667 Tibook?

Also, what about the 867mhz 12" Powerbooks? Are there any performance issues between it and the current 12" Powerbook outside of clockspeed? I've seen several of these on Ebay for not much more than the 800mhz iBook. Is this an option I should be considering?

-------

I might add that while I am a power user, I don't use it for games--for the most part. I use it mostly for design, web development, and of course internet access/word processing/etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    You could always go for a iBook G4. If your not going to be doing any video or audio editing to the ends extent, the iBook should meet your needs.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I think the 12" iBook G4 800 and the 14" iBook G4 933 are very good deals right now. Unless you have need to hook up a DVI external display, that's what I'd recommend.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    No DVI required. Unless my situation changes pretty drastically, I really doubt I'll have any sort of external display. One of the things I like about a laptop is that you can use anything (ie cocktail table, lap, dining room table) as a desk without actually having a desk.

I think I may pick up a 12" iBook. If nothing else, I think it's a solid investment that gives me room to breathe financially when the G5 Powerbooks finally roll around.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    I want to buy

ibook 933 or 1gz 60hd bt/ae

ipod--20 30

who has the best deals, bundles

macmall has a 30g ipod for 424

but when they give free ram, etc there are mail in rebates, so they get their money first then you have to wait

has anyone delt with either macconnection, or macmall??

also when will the best deals be available before christmas, do i wait till the week before or go for it now???
  • Reply 5 of 9
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I hav a 12" iBook. Its a great piece of hardware, and I am sure it will meet your computing needs.

Besides, iBooks are now G4, and comparable to the PBs!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jbarket

No DVI required. Unless my situation changes pretty drastically, I really doubt I'll have any sort of external display. One of the things I like about a laptop is that you can use anything (ie cocktail table, lap, dining room table) as a desk without actually having a desk.

I think I may pick up a 12" iBook. If nothing else, I think it's a solid investment that gives me room to breathe financially when the G5 Powerbooks finally roll around.

Considering the fact that you don't require DVI out, the iBook purchase sounds sensible to me.

In terms of speed: without having done any empirical research, I'd expect the G4 iBooks to be quicker than your old Ti667 model. And, besides - as you said - it gives you time to save for a G5 PowerBook! :drool:
  • Reply 7 of 9
    When it comes to rebates, they usually are great deals, but the company(correctly) gambles that a large percentage won't ever 'get around' to mailing in the rebate.

and it's true, very few people actually do it, to their loss.

if you honestly think you can mail in the rebates and stuff, then go for it.

alternatively I'd recommend checking out

www.smalldog.com

they have great deals on refurb deal, and new gear, no sales tax, and usually free shipping.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    off to general discussion!

(purchasing advice)

• Reply 9 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    went to macconnection got the 1gz ibook, 20ipod, got a free backpack case (don't want) but got a "free" with rebate $69 case, 640mb total ram, free shipping no tax, iskin 3 pack for the ipod, also got apple care for both and a $100rebate for apple. I'll have to get the BT direct from apple. we'll see

this is for my wife, i'll let my iMac dv400 hold me till next fall/christmas so i can ge the g5+ PB superdrive

thanks for the help