Apple to build pc capable of running windows xp

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I will gladly accept a appleinsider firing squad if you think im crazy but for apple to get more pc users to slowly move over towards mac could they build an apple designed machine marked with apple logo and apple mouse etc that runs windows xp and osx???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Are you on crack? What would be the point of buying an Apple machine if it couldn't run MacOS-X?
  • Reply 2 of 78
    no im not on crack, i love my ibook for colledge internet etc but what i would really love is an apple designed machine with apple logos and apple studio display but runs xp so i can play all my games access all the hidden featues on dvd,s which you cant do with a mac and there is so much more you can do with a windows machine. but i like the apple brand ,look and feel.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    READY! AIIIIM! FIRE!!

*BLAM*
  • Reply 4 of 78
    A Turkey of a post on Thanksgiving here in the U.S.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I could put the Benz star on a Fiat because I like the "M-B look and feel"

A trojan troll no less, were did I put the tar and the feathers...
  • Reply 6 of 78
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    hahahahahah *cough*
  • Reply 7 of 78
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    buy a cheapo pc gets some apple like stickers and paste them on, makes me laugh, all this would do is say, gee apple is as stupid as the other pc makers. grow up join a pc forum and ask them
  • Reply 8 of 78
    apple doesn't just make great software, they make excellently designed, high quaility hardware products also. I think there is some merit to this argument, as apple could potentially steal away a large chunk of the PC hardware market if they did this. However, they would also continue to alienate their core users, the true macheads. I think iTunes is as far as it should go, because if they keep doing stuff like that, the advantages of owning mac over a PC will be crushed by apple themselves. I would love to have an apple designed computer for my PC, though.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by microdisiac

I will gladly accept a appleinsider firing squad if you think im crazy but for apple to get more pc users to slowly move over towards mac could they build an apple designed machine marked with apple logo and apple mouse etc that runs windows xp not osx???

They could, but likely they won't. Apple could offer a classy, high quality Windows PC just through the Apple on-line store, and it's possible they might even pick up one percent of the market or more. Yet, the idea has its down side. It would dilute Apple's engineering effort on the Mac, and it would send mixed signals to customers and the stock market alike.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    and i hated internet explorer on my mac already...

i am curious about how shittie the benchmarks will be of this frankenstein machine

(the body of a goddess the brain of a chimpansee)

woops and virusses invading the mac platform

sux
  • Reply 11 of 78
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    what is a woops
  • Reply 12 of 78
    The only good thing this would possibly do is lower the cost of making the G5 chip (more users ~ less cost)

But I don't see Apple making a PC that can't use its own OS
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Thank you for your replies and i would welcome more.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Os X is what makes mac, not the hardware they make. At least thats my opinion. I'd rather them release OS X for x86, and limited hardware support, than a mac runs *EW* x86 stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    I don't see any point in Apple releasing a system that runs Win XP.

However, we'll remember that when the first PowerMacs came out, the 6100/7100/8100 had the option of getting an Intel based add-in card that allowed run Windows on your computer, flipping between environments.

And there was Orange Micro as well, which sold PC on a card products.

I wouldn't mind seeing Apple develop a new generation of the product which actually works better and is more integrated with OS X. Forget VirtualPC.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by microdisiac

Thank you for your replies and i would welcome more.

• Reply 17 of 78
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

buy a cheapo pc gets some apple like stickers and paste them on, makes me laugh, all this would do is say, gee apple is as stupid as the other pc makers. grow up join a pc forum and ask them

You can get free Apple stickers if buy a mac...
  • Reply 18 of 78
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    How fast is PCI-X? A third party company could make a system on a card and allow for 'emulation' in a window on X itself. Dual machine yes, single boot XP machine no.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    I fail to see how Apple would make any profit off this. There's too many PC hardware companies out there making too little profit already. Apple would have to design a new motherboard which would cost them money, or use an existing PC motherboard out there, but if they use an existing motherboard, how are they any better.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member

sorry, but this is simply the worst idea i have ever heard. but hey, it's fun