Can you still make money from ads on websites?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
During the boom, advertising on sites (banners, popups, etc.) commanded good money.

Today, any form of advertising on a website is frowned upon (even though necessary for some sites).

So is it only the big name sites like Yahoo, and Amazon who are making any sort of revenue through advertising today? Does that also mean you need a gizillion hits before anyone will consider advertising on your site?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Not sure, but if you'll recall the amount of money paid per hit was a fraction of a penny. Considering the percentage of people who will click through on an ad, you must have a tremendous amount of traffic to make these ads pay for themselves, let alone make money.

I don't think they'd tell us how much AI makes from the banner ads, but I don't expect that anyone is getting rich from them. It would certainly seem to be the best place for Mac manufacturers to advertise. I do like the public service announcements that run here.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I remember in my hotline server days I ran a page that people would have to sign up to some place and I'd get money...some even were if they just clicked on a link and viewed a page.

The thing is that I think places like cj.com got wise to those types of things and last time I looked you had to sign up for places and actually give money to get money. It isn't worth it anymore.