Killer eBay Deal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, this one takes the cake. Check out my auction prowess.

PowerMac G4+20"+23"Cinema HD Display!!!NEW!!!

Dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4

2GB RAM

2x160GB HD

GeForce4 Titanium Video Card

20" Cinema Display

23" HD Cinema Display

AirPort Card

SCSI Support

Fibre Channel PCI Card

iPod

Pro Speakers

iSight

AirPort Extreme Base Station

.Mac package

AppleCare Protection Plan

That's worth oh, just a little south of $12,000 CDN plus taxes. I picked this up all for the bargain basement price of $2050!

A nice little savings of about 10 grand. Not too shabby for a little late night eBay hunting, eh?

Of course, the account was hacked. The original auction was for a stocking, and the scammer went in and changed the title, description, etc. Luckily he hadn't edited the contact info, so after I won the auction I gave the lady a call up in the Yukon.

She's basically this freaked out, really nice old lady who didn't know what the heck was going on. She said she got an email saying she was being banned from eBay for violations or something and was pretty flustered about the whole thing. She said "I'm just an old lady here, I've never sold anything on eBay!" It was her first time trying to sell anything ever. Nice introduction to eBay.

Damn, if these guys don't get on top of this crap better it'll end up like Yahoo! auctions - a cess pool of low life Romanian greaseballs trying to suck money out of poor, naive bidders. Oh wait, it already is.

*sigh*

My battle rages...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    the sad part is when it first started, ebay was for geeks, by geeks.

the biggest problem you had was someone shipping the item late, or getting a letter wrong in the model number.

i don't use ebay anymore, unless i have to. too much shit going down.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    The best thing they could do is implement the 'wait one hour to close the auction' if someone bids in the last five minutes like the old Yahoo! Slow down the crap to reasonable proportions.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    What are you talking about??? eBay ROCKS!!!

I just bought a PowerBook for a buck and... wait that was like a year ago... I have yet to get the PowerBook. Hummm... I wonder what is taking it so long? Ah well I am sure it will get here soon. I will be one happy PowerBook owner... did I say that it comes with a 40" LCD screen, cool eh?

Anyway... yah, eGay is crap... I remember the good old days, when eBay was the place to find deals on hot goods... now the cops take it away.

Maybe a new auction like site could emerge and make things right again... maybe.

EDIT: that is eBay... not eGay.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

EDIT: that is eBay... not eGay.

Hmmm, what would Freud say?

• Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

Hmmm, what would Freud say?

That \\/\\/ickes is right.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    If I had more money I would have bought the 17" TiBook with Airport Extreme, Logitech speakers, [insert more feature here] for $999.

I did find it funny that the seller typically sold coins and stamps, then suddenly had 50 of these machines to sell. Sad thing is when you watched the site, and "eGay" deleted it, only 29 were left.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Here's another helluva deal.

"i have for sell 5 pieces For more detalies please email me...The item will arive to you in like 42 hours."

• Reply 8 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Email received from low-life scum sucking dirtbag today.

Quote:

HELLO

First of all let me_appologise for the delay but I had some business to take care out of town and I couldn´t have acces to my computer.

Second_congratulation!_

For the time being I´m in Italy with business.

The item_is brand new sealed in its original box with all accessories(and everything listed on the auction)includedand 3 years international warranty covered by every authorised center.

It is _compatible with US standards and run at dual voltage(110-120 AND 220-240).

The shipping will be made through UPS fully insured and I will cover all the taxes of shipping and handeling_from here.You will have the package in 2-3 days tops.If any damages apear on the road, you will get your money back or the same product brand new.

_

For the moment I accept payment only in cash through wire transfer because i need the money urgently and other methods take too long!

I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is as legitimate as it could possible be.

If you want to complete this transaction, i need your full name and address. The shipping will be made through UPS fully insured.You will have the package in 48 hours.If any damages apear on the road, you will get your money back or the same product brand new.

Payment will be done through Western Union.

Please visitwww.westernunion.com_ to_ find the nearest Western Union office, or just go to your local postal office and you'll probably find an Western Union office there.

With Western Union, your money is transferred immediately, and usually arrives at the receiving end in 10 minutes while other services can take days or weeks. There are no complicated procedures and you don't need a bank account or credit card.

To send the money bring some identification and fill in a short, simple form. Pay for the amount of money you want to send, plus the Western Union service fee. You will be given a MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number).

After you make the wire transfer just mail me the MTCN to allow me to check the payment on-line.

As soon as the payment verifies your package will be shipped and you will get your tracking number to be able to track it for yourself.

Here are my details that you need for the money transfer:

______________ First Name:*****

______________ Last Name:*****

______________ Address:Piazza Barberini_21

______________ City:Venezia

______________ Country:Italy

Let me know if you are interested so we can arrange the details and close the deal right away.

All the best!

Well, I was skeptical, until I read this:

"I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is as legitimate as it could possible be."

I'm glad I can relax and trust this guy!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member

You're a hoot murbot.

• Reply 10 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I was waiting for someone to comment on that.

• Reply 11 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    "Dear Mr. ***** *****

I want to thank you for your email and for doing business with you. I have been looking for a killerdeal on a PowerMac and was happy when I saw your auction on eBay.

I can´t wait to get my hands on the computer and was positively surprised when I read you were in Italy because I am italian! And even if I do live with my family in Sicilia I´ll be on a kind of business trip Venezia with some of my associates the day after tomorrow.

I would be really happy if we could meet in the dark alley behind the town hall. Just be there at 10 p.m sharp and wait for me there and I´ll come right after but please don´t be late. Look for a black van with four guys with sunglasses and suits (the three others are my brothers that accompany me on my business journey and will help us in making the transaction).

I hope the conditions are acceptable since you won´t be able to reach me on this email before the transaction. If not I will be disappointed and I hate being disappointed Mr. ***** *****, Piazza Barberini21, Venezia.

Yours truly, blabla"
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Murbot/Nick Stokes, will you sell for $2055? I simply must have this wonderful machine. Send me the product, and I will promise to send you the cash. Honestly I am really legit. Ask my mum, she thinks I am fantastic!