Proof that it is ILLEGAL to copy music to your iPod in Australia!!!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As an Australian with an iPod,I have been sitting and waiting for them to launch the iTMS down here. But it looks as tho no can do.

At the mo we are being bombarded with ads for the iPod, everywhere, billboards, posters and tv. THe funny thing is that the ads on tv are of people dancing to music by the Australian band JET... so now read the article below taken from todays Sydney Morning Herald...

Why you can't hear Jet on an iPod

November 26, 2003

Downloaded and downhearted

Aussie rockers Jet scored priceless publicity in the US last month when their song Are You Gonna Be My Girl became the theme for TV ads promoting Apple?s iPod digital music player. The ad has now begun screening on Australian TV and in cinemas.

It?s a pity Australians cannot legally listen to a Jet song on an iPod, however. Jet?s songs are not sold in digital format in Australia, according to the band?s record label, EMI. In Australia, it is illegal to transfer copyrighted music from a CD to an iPod ? and anyway, Jet?s CD, Get Born, is copy-protected. In the US, fans can buy Jet songs ? along with thousands of other digital tracks ? for US99c ($1.37) each from Apple?s internet music service. But the service is not available in Australia. So what exactly do Aussie iPod owners use their recorders for? Dictation?

Apple?s local bosses had tremendous trouble coming up with a suitable explanation, although they thought Australians could probably find a few copyright-free MP3s from somewhere on the internet.

It?s unlikely the law will change any time soon, though. Fighting has now started between music publishers (who are in favour of allowing limited digital copying) and record labels (who are steadfastly against it). Until Apple or EMI bothers to launch digital music sales here, Jet fans will have to settle for the CD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Hehhe funny because its true.. it certainly is a weird situation.. I must get the Jet cd one day.. I am sure there is a way to get it onto my ipod

Thx for the story

p.s. Support Original Australian Music !!

Living End, Powederfinger, Something for Kate, Pollyanna, Motorace, Butterfly Effect, Downsyde, Cartman, Eskimo Joe etc
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Would I be correct on thinking that now the UK has taken up that stoopid EU copyright directive, that copying my cd's to my computer is now illegal? Or are the "copy for personal use" exemptions still in the new law ?

Anyways, its just a talking point. Sony's copy protection didn't stop me drawing a black ring round my Deacon Blue CD, and this law isn't going to stop me using my pod.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Australian copyright law with regards to music was written before consumers had access to copying technology, hence there are no fair use exemptions (they were neither needed or envisages at the time).

That said, I saw most of our rugby team were listening to iPods.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Hehhe funny because its true.. it certainly is a weird situation.. I must get the Jet cd one day.. I am sure there is a way to get it onto my ipod

Thx for the story

p.s. Support Original Australian Music !!

Living End, Powederfinger, Something for Kate, Pollyanna, Motorace, Butterfly Effect, Downsyde, Cartman, Eskimo Joe etc

The US version of the Jet CD does not seem to be copy protected. I ripped it yesterday. (my own personal copy) It plays fine on my iPod.

bob

gsxrboy....i do support australian music......i have two albums by outback.....first rockin digeridoo (sp?) I ever heard
  • Reply 5 of 27
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    In AUstralia we aren't allowed to download from the iTMS, everytime I go there it informs me that I am allowed to listen to amples, but I am blocked from ownloading them.

In regards to the Wallabies using them, they bought them from the Applecentre on Broadway in Sydney. I was in there the day after and the guy was bragging about it, I doubt he even knew who they were.

And anyway, I have bought all the AUssie cd's, so I see no issue with them copying them to my pod.

GIVE US iTMS IN AUSTRALIA!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Bitching on an internet forum isn't going to bring iTMS to Australia. Unfortunately, getting permission to distribute music is very, very difficult. Apple needs to negotiate with the local division of the record labels and fight the opposition of the authorized distributers (who lose out). Multiply that by the 50 or so nations developed enough to support a viable iTMS, and you've got a big deal.

If you want this to ever change, you'll need to lobby your parliamentary representatives to reform copyright law, to write compulsory licensing into copyright law, change the right of first sale principle to be compatible with the internet era etc.

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Yeah barto, but bitching on a forum is more fun. Why would I want to go and lobby some parliamentary type, when I can annoy you?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

If you want this to ever change, you'll need to lobby your parliamentary representatives to reform copyright law, to write compulsory licensing into copyright law, change the right of first sale principle to be compatible with the internet era etc.

Barto

You are kidding me, right? Law in aus changing for the better? It'll be a cold day in hell when the aus pollys understand anything to do with the internet. Unless there is a free plasma tv involved in it somewhere.

We're stuffed when the only choices are a conservative or slightly less conservative choice.

PS: Jet suck. Corporate sellouts. Just like the Vines. There are so many good aus indie acts which are much better than the revival in crap-rock. Check out AIR.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    JJJ is your oz music friend
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

sigh.

Not any more. There has been a change of management (if you know what I mean) and their policy for aus artists has changed. Until earlier this year, they concentrated on builing the careers of aus acts (such as Silverchair, Wiafs, Nat Umbruglglglglgla etc). Now they play a more diverse cross section of talent and it is up to the individual bands to build their own career based on this. However, the cross section idea would work much better if there was a greater depth of talent in the market. Now you listen to home and hosed and about 1 in 10 songs is worth listening to.

This makes it much harder and basically puts them in the same league as Nova.

I think much more is happening at the sub-JJJ level (Uni radio and the like).

But, as I've always stated, if you are good then it'll happen for you. However, this only makes me feel depressed. If only I could get on to iTMS.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

WAS your Oz music friend. Now all they play is stupid rap, stupid hip-hop and stupid techno. If I wanted to listen to that, I'd go down to San!ty and buy a few CDs.

Oh yeah, and The Vines rule ya'll. Saying someone "sold-out" is stupid, all that counts is whether they still make good music. The Vines do.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I actually tend to agree with the above, the influx of "booty" music as I call it has been noticable.. the core section of music has moved somewhat, did this coincide with Richard Kingsmills transition to music programmer?... As much as this bit sh#ts me for the majority of peeps its the only place your going to get to hear new OZ music...

Oh and down with Howard for taking more money out of the ABC and for helping kill programs like "Unearthed" You have to wonder how much influence has come down from above, are the gov trying to make it a saleable commodity?

Funny reading your comments above as I was just thinking it in the car on the way to work..
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

WAS your Oz music friend. Now all they play is stupid rap, stupid hip-hop and stupid techno. If I wanted to listen to that, I'd go down to San!ty and buy a few CDs.

Oh yeah, and The Vines rule ya'll. Saying someone "sold-out" is stupid, all that counts is whether they still make good music. The Vines do.

Barto

Sold out was the wrong term to use. It implies there was some credibility in the first place. I saw them live when they toured earlier. They really are bad. It's like they are new to their instruments. They certainly don't have enough material to do a whole show.

Unfortunately, it always comes down to taste - and to me they're doing what has been done a million times before and doing it badly. But, to iterate, that is only my point of view.

The government is heavily gunning for the ABC at the moment, The only complaints the watchdog receives is from them. In the last year, there were the famous 67 odd complaints about bias in the war from the government. A total of five came from the general public of which two were ring-ins from the liberal party. Then they cut funding and call it unrelated. Poor Aunty.

I heard Fly TV is going too. Soon, there's going to be nowhere where new talent can be seen or heard, except for Rove and the Panel. And we all know how good those shows are. I suppose there is always Channel V.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

the core section of music has moved somewhat, did this coincide with Richard Kingsmills transition to music programmer?...

Triple J had been moving away from good indy music for a while before Kingsmill took over. But Kingsmill increased the speed with which Triple J was and is moving towards American rap, techno and bad (but cheap to program) Aussie hip-hop and trashy garage band music.

I hope Dr Karl $$$$s Dick's wife again.

Barto
  • Reply 15 of 27
    MarkL,

I saw that media watch ep that tore apart the complaints, pity in the end it doesnt mean much for the gov and the stacking of the ABC board with their little puppets will do what they do... *sighs*

Oh and Channel V is the pits... the only time it has any merit is when they broadcast BDO's or other concerts with Oz bands in there... they are one of the worst offenders for not promoting Oz music.. I havent turned the station of for a while.. and Cloe was always dressed

I believe there is still room on tv for a 6pmish music show that promotes OZ bands, a new 'Countdown' maybe...

I never watch videohits because seeing Dylan there all corporate boy talking about music he hates drives me bonkers.. poor boy has to make a living tho...

Ultimately tho a lot of peoples gripes are down to music tastes..

Mine.. bring on Magic Dirt at the moment I got em on iPod work big time ... hmmm Adalita

ack I could rabbit on about Oz music and stuff for ages...
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

MarkL,

I saw that media watch ep that tore apart the complaints, pity in the end it doesnt mean much for the gov and the stacking of the ABC board with their little puppets will do what they do... *sighs*

Good show wasn't it.

Oh and Channel V is the pits... the only time it has any merit is when they broadcast BDO's or other concerts with Oz bands in there... they are one of the worst offenders for not promoting Oz music.. I havent turned the station of for a while.. and Cloe was always dressed

I believe there is still room on tv for a 6pmish music show that promotes OZ bands, a new 'Countdown' maybe...

[/QUOTE]

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes etc.

I never watch videohits because seeing Dylan there all corporate boy talking about music he hates drives me bonkers.. poor boy has to make a living tho...

Ultimately tho a lot of peoples gripes are down to music tastes..

Mine.. bring on Magic Dirt at the moment I got em on iPod work big time ... hmmm Adalita

ack I could rabbit on about Oz music and stuff for ages...
    [/QUOTE]

<homer>

Magic Dirt mmmm.

</homer>

There is such good talent original around, it is so disappointing to see it relegated to second rate status just because the AUS STEREO network has said so. Doesn't really foster an enivronment of creativity when you really only get acceptance in the mainstream if you are copying the latest trend out of the US. (No offence to the US folks).

Dylan should've stayed on Recovery. Another ABC find that will be lost in the great commercial machine. sigh.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Yeah it was a very revealing 10 minutes or so of well informed, well research material (general ABC gear then I guess)... I dont watch much tv, must have been in between buffy dvd eps, but I am glad I saw it...

In Perth last w/e we had a day long gig that Magic Dirt were playing at, Adalita pleaded to the crowd to listen to oz music and go and learn and play it for themselves.. a sincere heart felt outpouring it was, gladdened my heart to hear it... unfort their set was only 40 minutes, so they played mostly from tough love and a few from rockstars, but boy howdy was it a nice set, pity it wasnt another hour longer.. nick off that jack Johnson geeza that was later, could have/should have taken his time as well...

Oh and for the record, when Adalita sang about a self obsessed shy boy that all her crushes were all about, it was me she was talking about dammit !

Over here we have a couple of major commercial FM "rock" stations, those being 96fm and PMFM.. 96fm became Triple M when it was bought out by the network, Triple M started to do badly rating wise so the network sold it thus turning them back into 96fm and purchased PMFM (but still kept the PMFM name) nobody on both those stations could tell the difference and most never knew the change of ownership, if that doesnt say something about AUS Stereo crowd I dont know what does.. ACK and I havent even started to ramble about the 25% OZ music quota commercial stations are supposed to play !!!

hmmm Magic Dirt .....
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

YI havent even started to ramble about the 25% OZ music quota commercial stations are supposed to play !!!

What do you mean "supposed"? I'm sure they play enough "Amazing" Alex Lloyd songs to make the quota!
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

What do you mean "supposed"? I'm sure they play enough "Amazing" Alex Lloyd songs to make the quota!

Thats the thing even if the quota was in fact legislated, (its more of a gentlemans agreement now), the old classic barnsey and farnsey stuff would be used to fill it up.. they should enforce them to play 25% Oz music that is less than a year old.. if that means its for a year "Amazing" by Alex Lloyd then so be it, at least its Australian, new(ish) and performed and written by the artist rather than fronted by a company produced media puppet import wannabe..

p.s. even if you dont like the genre of music they produce be it Alex or even Savage Garden you have to respect the people who write and perform their own songs.. I am not a Savage Garden fan by any means, but they did it themselves music wise and they took it to a market niche in the US (mostly) and murdered them making a bucket load of cash along the way... again that is just music "sound" preference (that you and me might not like), but they did it with their own songs and performed them themselves...

Look at "No Aphrodisiac" by the Whitlams some would say that its not a JJJ song, but I would disagree to that, at the time they were an unsigned original local band, they went and topped the hottest 100 !!!, isnt that what JJJ is (should be) all about, promoting the local music that doesn't get a gig until JJJ makes it famous?

It shouldn't be only up to JJJ to do it, the commercials should be made to support our music culture.. cause we have soooo much good stuff out at the moment, so many good bands around..
  • Reply 20 of 27
    I'm trying to remember the show. What/where was it? Because, I too, am from the sunny west coast.

<rant>

Don't get me started about jack Johnson. What is it about saddos with accoustic guitars doing ripoffs of sixties artists. Alex Lloyd should be shot on site for his crimes against cheese, or at least be arrested by the cliche police. One hit a decade and everyone thinks he is some kind of revolutionary redefining music.

At least nick cave has credability, if no (commercial) appeal.

</rant>

Do you see any local acts?