What PC monitor can I use with a G4 Tower and other questions. Please help.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm using an old 1998 iMac but after 5 years I would like to upgrade to a G4 1GHZ and OSX.It seems a slightly better deal than the eMac for me because I have some PC2100 ram and the tower has ATA100 and a bigger harddrive which I will need.

What PC monitor can I use with it ? I think that I can use any, but I'd like to be sure. I have a Philips LCD with my PC, will that work with a G4 ? Do I need a monitor which has a Mac driver to work properly ?

Secondly, if it does work, can I calibrate a colour profile and choose resolution/refresh rate like with my iMac ? OS 8.6 which I am still using has "monitor calibration assistant" and I want to set my monitor to "warmish yellow lighing" as that is best for my eyes.

Thirdly , the 1GHZ model doesn't boot OS9, i know, but will Soundjam MPfree work in Classic mode ? That is only classic app i really want to bring over.

Much appreciate any advice for my upgrade to OSX

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Apple doesn't sell a 1Ghz PMG4 anymore.

Anyways, any of the recent PM's should be able to hand DVI monitors, IIRC.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Any monitor should work, as long as it has a DVI connection, and if it's an LCD there is no reason why it shouldn't have it. You are able to calibrate your display with different gamma, ambient lighting, and resolutions, you will have to play with it for a while but you can get it right. The 1ghz will boot in 9, there is no reason why it wont, unless the OS 9 drivers aren't installed on the boot volume. Most apps will work with classic, but a G4 won't come with OS 9 pre installed, you'll have to buy a copy of it.

By the way, Apple doesn't sell a 1ghz anymore, you'll have to get a 1.25ghz unless you are getting it used.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    You also have a VGA output (or a ADC-to VGA) on all macs since the B&W G3 of 1999. I have been using PC monitors on Macs since 1994, with no problems
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by wlanei2

but will Soundjam MPfree work in Classic mode ? That is only classic app i really want to bring over.

That it is the cutest thing I've heard in a long time.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

That it is the cutest thing I've heard in a long time.

Heh. I paid for SoundJam three days before MacWorld. You would think that non-Apple software would a safe purchase before MacWorld right? I mean, it's not like Apple would ever introduce consumer multimedia applications traditionally made by third parties.

Gah.

Barto