12" Powerbook 867 or Ibook 14" new

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has refurbished 12" Powerbooks for $1199 (combo drive). For the same price (educational), I could get a brand new 933 iBook G4. I plan on doing graphic design work on whatever machine I choose (photoshop, illustrator, indesign). I have a dual 1Ghz tower to do most of my work on, and I'll use the laptop for some extra mobility to get things done, whether I need to be somewhere else in the house or away from home for a full day. Not sure what to do. I'm not even sure if I should rule out the 12" iBook? I guess memory expansion is a big deal for me. And obviously, money is a huge factor, as well. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Edit: Also, dual monitor is a big deal too. I hear the hack for the iBook still works on the new G4 versions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    How big are the respective HDs? The pb is a teensy bit lighter than the 12" iBook and somewhat lighter than the 14". And it has monitor spanning without any hacks. It doesn't have USB2. You really can't go wrong either way... I personally prefer the powerbook just cause.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

How big are the respective HDs? The pb is a teensy bit lighter than the 12" iBook and somewhat lighter than the 14". And it has monitor spanning without any hacks. It doesn't have USB2. You really can't go wrong either way... I personally prefer the powerbook just cause.

Both have 40 G HDs.

I also noticed they have refurbished 900 mhz 12" ibooks (40 g hd) for $849. Another option?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattarino

I also noticed they have refurbished 900 mhz 12" ibooks (40 g hd) for $849. Another option?

What 'bout the same but BRAND NEW one for $680 US ???
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

What 'bout the same but BRAND NEW one for $680 US ???

Please explain.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    That's the price I paid for mine last month

The London Drugs store I went to had a clearance sales and the manager in there gave me a hefty discount on that iBook.

So tempting and it would be stupid if I let it go