Network Mac & PC

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I need to share some files with my brother in-law. The only problem is that he's got a PC laptop. I want to network them using an ethernet cable. I have never done this before, so I need advise on the easiest way posible. I need this done within two days so all help is welcome.

He's got a HP with an Athon processor.

I got an 800Mhz iMac running 10.1.5.

Now I now Panther or even Jaguar will help, but by the time I get my copy i'll be too late, he's leaving soon.

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I think the easiest way will be with a Firewire cable. Do you have one? Does your brother's machine have a Firewire port? If so, turn off your iMac and plug the cable into the two machines. Then boot up your iMac while holding down the letter "T" on the keyboard. Your computer will become an external firewire harddrive.

Another method would be using some chat software like AOL Instant Messenger. Find each other and move the stuff.

With ethernet only, I'm going to say networking with a PC can be flaky.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    firewire cable won't work... what OS are you on do you just have X.1? burn a cd on his laptop? I need more info on what you both have...
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Target disk mode (the FireWire thingy) works only when it's Mac-to-Mac.

The simplest solution would be through networking, and I'm sure it won't be flaky. Just get a hub and network cables. Or if you want to share your internet connection get a broadband router.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Ethernet should work great ... You MAY need a crossover ethernet cable ... at some point this became unnecessary on macs, but i couldn't say if it applies to yours or not.

On your mac ... just go to SysPrefs -> Sharing and enable personal file sharing over the network. (I'd be more specific, but i think X.1 was slightly different than my X.2 sytem)

On the Windows machine, it's quite different depending on which OS he's using. with XP, you should be able to find "My Network Places" and select "Add a New Network Place" (or something like that) and a wizard will guide you through it. (Also make sure both computers have the same "Workgroup" name)

Now ... some people get this set up with no pain or fuss, while others seem to run into all sorts of problems and never get it to work ... I honestly believe the problem lies with Windows (at least when working with Jag or Panther)
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Actually, if you enable Windows sharing and link the two computers together (either by directly as the king suggest or through a hub), you should be able to just 'browse the network' on your PC. I do that occasionally when I'm too lazy to ftp.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Yes he's got XP on the laptop, but no firewire. I read somewere that you just hook them up and on the mac go to go--->connect to server

I read that will let me take stuff of his machine.

Sounds to easy to be true.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    You need crossover as far as I know. I did it this wkend with my powerbook and a PC desktop, just plug them in, did windows little wizard thing, restarted and I was up and going.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

Yes he's got XP on the laptop, but no firewire. I read somewere that you just hook them up and on the mac go to go--->connect to server

I read that will let me take stuff of his machine.

Sounds to easy to be true.

SHOULD work .. just make sure you have file sharing enabled on the XP machine for whatever folder you want to get stuff from (somewhere in "Properties" for that file/folder).
  • Reply 9 of 17
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Im one of those people who never got it too work with 10.1.5,I have panther now and it works easily. the services I was able to get working with 10.1.5 were personal web site and ftp. ftp is extremely slow. both require a crossover cable, im not sure how macs can do it without a crossover cable because macs use the same network cards as everyone else and as far as i understand some pins are for sending and others for recieving (not sure though). anyway the best way to do it if you have no other tools available is to turn on web sharing or soemthing like that on your mac. in you sites folder of your "home" is an example index.html web page you can delete that and add another web page, it will be the default when you turn on web sharing. Also create another directory in there called like mystuff or something

forgot to put in paragraphs

anyhow, if you dont know html (which i dont) the easy way to get a web page is too open appleworks type something like "my link" highlight it go to tools or something and embed a link it will ask you for a web address, from memory you put the share name (which by the way will be (yourIP) xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/yourusername~ that ~ on the end is important) and the mystuff directory, and then "save as" html. worked for me...

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/yourusername~/mystuff/

then you can put stuff in the mystuff directory and it will be accessible for download (this is a one way street, mac to pc its very fast too.

okay so now he can get it by opening a browser and just typing in the url to yourstuff, may require some finagaling.

you can do the same in reverse by setting up apache on his computer or some other web server. or wait for panther, which although im loving to death i think its windows file sharing is very slow, maybe im doing something wrong.

oh yeah and if you dont have a crossover cable, you need at least two regular cables and a hub. *obviously* you need network connectivity for this too work at all which should be trivial...

also apache seems too block symbolic links too other directorys, not quite sure why... and i dont really have time too find out, so just put the files you want to copy into the mystuff directory.

cheers
  • Reply 10 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

both require a crossover cable, im not sure how macs can do it without a crossover cable because macs use the same network cards as everyone else and as far as i understand some pins are for sending and others for recieving (not sure though).

Actually some Macs don't use the same NIC cards as everyone else. Some, like the PowerBooks (and perhaps others), use auto-sensing NIC cards that will automatically act as a cross-over if you're plugged directly into another machine rather than through a hub. It's another one of the little things that goes unnoticed but still adds to the cost.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

talking of little things that go unnoticed, the tilde (i.e. the squiggle: ~ ) goes at the other end.

http://ip.numbers.go.here/~username/randomfile.mp3

Put the above into a browser on the PC and you will be able to download a file called 'randomfile.mp3' placed in the Sites folder in the home directory of the user whose short username is 'username'.

But it sounds like you want to go in the other direction.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Do you actually need to network? Why not just burn a CD and be done with it?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

talking of little things that go unnoticed

yeah I was a little tired last night... that thing about the nics though is that true ? is it only mac to mac ?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

yeah I was a little tired last night... that thing about the nics though is that true ? is it only mac to mac ?

Yes and no in that order. It makes life nice and easy.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I guess we can burn CD's, but he has tons of pictures. He was recently in Irag and he toke tons of pics. Just on two folders he had like 3 gigs. His burner is a 24x but the actual speed when burning is 8x even when he sets it at 24x. Any reasons why he can't burn faster?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

I guess we can burn CD's, but he has tons of pictures. He was recently in Irag and he toke tons of pics. Just on two folders he had like 3 gigs. His burner is a 24x but the actual speed when burning is 8x even when he sets it at 24x. Any reasons why he can't burn faster?

High burn rate numbers are as much advertising copy as anything else. These numbers apply only to the outer rim of the disk. The burn rate toward the center tends toward the lower limit.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    as far as why he cant burn any faster, if he is using a pc with nero, there is a setting for optimal burn speed. tell him to take that off especially if he has a decent burner and allocated enough memory for the buffer.

I had the same issue with a yamaha 48x burner on my pc. It would only burn at 16x, one third the capability of the burner. as soon as i took off that check box, it all worked fine