Please port this!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Are there any programmers in the audience!??

First: I know there are many of you guys out there who just loves the iPod. I acknowlegde that fully, this is not meant to be a discussion of which hd player is best.

The iPod, however, has some shortcomings that don't address the needs of all users. I have chosen to buy an iRiver iHp-120 (see: http://www.iriver.com) that has line-in recording capabilities and playing capabilities (ogg, wma, asf-formats) that the iPod presently don't have, whatever other merits it might have (system integration, firewire, etc.).

The trouble with the iRiver thing is that - although it allows me to transfer files using the drag and drop method, because the disc is mounted as a usb-disc - there is no iTunes plugin and no native mac os x version of the special database program iRiver uses on the Windows platform to edit playlists on the player.

Now, someone has made their own implementation of this database program for Linux and Windows, based on the specs form iRiver, but it has not yet been ported to Mac OS X. It uses a simple command line interface, that might be easily portable to Mac OS X. But. I have no programming capabilities whatsoever, so this is essentially a pledge for someone to do this porting and wrap the port in a cocoa interface, so I can begin utilizing my hd player fully :-D (although an iTunes plugin would be preferable..)

Please help me, and other iRiver iHp-120 users that prefer mac's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    I can give it a try for fun starting next week. Doesn't seem to be much code there.

I'll start by getting the command line tool going in OSX (haven't included stuff from my sw directory in a project builder project yet) then on a cocoa interface around it. Do you prefer aqua or brushed metal?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rrabu

I can give it a try for fun starting next week. Doesn't seem to be much code there.

I'll start by getting the command line tool going in OSX (haven't included stuff from my sw directory in a project builder project yet) then on a cocoa interface around it. Do you prefer aqua or brushed metal?

That's not exactly hard to change when you're finished with the app. How about having a preference, like Poisoned does?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Wow, thanks, I hadn't expected a response that fast. Take all the time you need!

I can't remember the newest Apple Ui guidelines that closely, but I would guess default would be brushed metal, like iTunes, because its for 'navigation, editing of a list' (or something in those terms)..
  • Reply 4 of 4
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    I had to make a few changes to their code to get it working on OSX. I think it should be goo now. I can't test it really though so please try it out and get back to me.

Download at: http://www.cs.usask.ca/~rar675/iRipDB/

It's a command line tool currently just like the linux version.

Place it in whatever directory, then go to that directory in the terminal and type:

./iripdb PATH_TO_MUSIC_PLAYER

You may have to use the following to include non id3 tagged files (I think):

./iripdb -e PATH_TO_MUSIC_PLAYER

NOTE: PATH_TO_MUSIC_PLAYER is something like:

/Volumes/DEVICE (where device is the mount name of the player. Type "ls /Volumes" in the terminal.)

If this works, adding an interface over it shouldn't be too hard.