G5-1.6 - RAM Speed in System Profile

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I just installed 2 x 512mb PC3200 RAM DIMMS into my G5 1.6. The original 2 x 128mb DIMMS are PC2700. From what I gather the G5 1.6 would automatically clock down the PC3200 chips to PC2700. But in the System Profile it reads PC3200.

Here is a pic of the system profile:

Is the system profile displaying the actual speed? or the capable speed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    If the ram and the computer are capable of running the PC3200 there is no reason for the computer to run it any slower. Just because the factory ram is slower doesn't mean the computer will run the user installed ram slower. I'm guessing it's the actual speed it's running.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Moving to Current Hardware...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I have a feeling it is just reporting the chips rated speed. the G5 has a dual channel memory subsystem, which is why dimms must be installed in reasonably matched pairs. Each memory channel in this case is addressing a single 128 and a single 512 that must be running at the same speed. i assume the 128-333 modules are not up-clocking!

Also, I was under the impression that the 1.6 has a maximum memory speed of 333 regardless if higher-speed memory is used.

but hey, im no rocket surgeon
  • Reply 4 of 7
    No, all memory run at the same speed. PC3200 is clocked down in a 1.6GHz G5.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    There is never any penalty for using faster RAM than the minimum speed requirement by your computer.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

If the ram and the computer are capable of running the PC3200 there is no reason for the computer to run it any slower. Just because the factory ram is slower doesn't mean the computer will run the user installed ram slower. I'm guessing it's the actual speed it's running.

No, no ,no you silly boy you...

What the computer is reading is just the ID string. The ram is running at PC2700 speeds...

• Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Thermistor

No, all memory run at the same speed. PC3200 is clocked down in a 1.6GHz G5.

>> RIGHT.

-walloo.