Well, shipped off my white-spotted 15" PB

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Tell me...do we know what the spots are caused by? I've never heard.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Man am I nervous right now, my PB and iPod are on there way to me right now, i should have them both by thursday. All i can do is sit here and wait, but im starting to wish i had gone with the 17"model insted...but oh well.If i do get spots i probably wont send it in unless a)it gets really bad or b)i can know for certain that when i get it back it'll be reapired for goog or at least for a few years.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Tell me...do we know what the spots are caused by? I've never heard.

I beleive it has to do with spacers placed beteeen the lcd and the alu case. I guess they end up pressing on the lcd and causing the spots.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by uGive

Man am I nervous right now, my PB and iPod are on there way to me right now, i should have them both by thursday. All i can do is sit here and wait, but im starting to wish i had gone with the 17"model insted...but oh well.If i do get spots i probably wont send it in unless a)it gets really bad or b)i can know for certain that when i get it back it'll be reapired for goog or at least for a few years.

Tell me about it, I was away when my Pbook arrived on friday, now I have to wait till MONDAY to get it, that's 3 more days of worrying about if it will have white spots. I'm with you though, if if it has white spots, I cna probably live with it, unless it's really bad, I don't know, augh!

p.s. my 20 gig iPod already arrived...so sweet. 8)
  • Reply 25 of 29
    If powerbooks ever become worth anything in the future...i'm not saying they will be...but usually the original version is worth more than an aesthetic 'repair.' If it were me, I'd keep the original.

Unto each his own.

-walloo.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Math prob:

-If a powerbook is $2,000 new

-you use it for 3 years (most use powerbooks for more, but this is a good believable general purpose number)

-the powerbook is gone for 30 days, even though it works.

That's $54.79 of time = money, you just lost...is it really worth it?

As a repair, would it work to rub oil on the metal or a buffer? I've had similiar problems with similiar metals, and this covered up the problem, and stopped the rings from growing. Basically a layer has to be created to prevent oxidation. I don't have any specific recommendations as of yet.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

As a repair, would it work to rub oil on the metal or a buffer? I've had similiar problems with similiar metals, and this covered up the problem, and stopped the rings from growing. Basically a layer has to be created to prevent oxidation. I don't have any specific recommendations as of yet.

The white spots are on the LCD, not on the metal.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Going on two months. No spots.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick DTM

Going on two months. No spots.

Sweet...I just shipped mine out today...the Airborne Express guy was a real piece of work. Carried my precious by the side fold of the box with one hand...all the way to the truck. I'll be surprised if I see my Powerbook in one piece when I get it back hopefully on Thursday or Friday