New PowerMac pictures leaked

Comments

• Reply 341 of 688
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moonraker:

<strong>The French web site that first posted the new G4 pictures has now been taken down all together :confused:

<a href="http://www.macbidouille.com"; target="_blank">Macbidouille</a>

There is just a maintenance page with the following ( translated to English via babelfish)

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Moonraker ]

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Moonraker ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

It appears to be up now, with an article commenting on the 45 degree rotation, comparing it to the eMac. They have one picture up, but I think that's just the eMac.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: qazII ]</p>
  • Reply 342 of 688
    e-liote-liot Posts: 9member
    [quote]Originally posted by Clive:

<strong>

I hope that's supposed to be a joke?</strong><hr></blockquote>

C'mon, I know Americans are supposed to be incapable of irony, but as one Limey to another, get it on.....or were you joking? I can't tell anymore.
  • Reply 343 of 688
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    Sorry if this has already been posted... I'm trying to keep up witht this thread, but it is getting huge!

anyway... the guys over at <a href="http://www.applexnews.com"; target="_blank">www.applexnews.com</a> posted the following as far as the specs of the new systems go....

[quote]Posted at <a href="http://www.applexnews.com:"; target="_blank">www.applexnews.com:</a>

<strong>

Processor

Dual PowerPC G4 processors(1.2ghz,1.4ghz,1.6ghz)

Velocity Engine vector processing unit

Full 128-bit internal memory data paths

Powerful floating-point unit supporting single-cycle, double-precision calculations

Data stream prefetching operations supporting four simultaneous 32-bit data streams

512k on-chip L2 cache

2MB DDR SRAM L3 cache per processor

333MHz system frontside bus supporting over 2.7GB/s data throughput

Memory

512MB or 1024MB of 333MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM with up to 5.4GB/s throughput

(dual memory controllers 2.7 for each channel)

Four DIMM slots supporting up to 2GB of DDR SDRAM using the following: ? 128MB

or 256MB DIMMs (64-bit-wide, 128Mb technology) ? 512MB DIMMs (64-bit-wide, 256Mb

technology) I/O connections AGP Pro 110watt universal slot supports graphics

cards running at 8x,4x,2x Six full-length 64-bit, 66MHz PCI slots supports 32-bit

or 64-bit 3.3V PCI cards running at 33MHz respectively

One 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) RJ-45 Ethernet connectors, on logic board

One 56k v.92 voice/fax modem

RJ-11 teleco connector,on logic board

Ready for wireless networking: Built-in antennas and card slot for optional

54Mbps AirPort Card; IEEE 802.11g compliant

Four 800Mb/s FireWire2 ports (three on back panel;one on front panel; 15W total

power)

(4) Four USB2.0 ports 12 Mbs-480 Mb/s each (three on back panel;one on front

panel)

Graphics

Nvidia Geforce4Ti 4200 AGP graphics card with 64MB of DDR SDRAM graphics ADC

and DVi connector dual display support for extended desktop and video mirroring

modes (standard across entire lineup)

Optional ATI RADEON R250 AGP graphics card with 128MB of DDR SDRAM and ADC,DVI,

and S-video connectors; dual display support, support for digital and analog

resolutions up to 2048 by 1536 pixels

Storage

Two external 3.5 bays with independent 133MB/s buses for up to 240GB of internal

storage using hot-plug Apple Drive Modules, available in the following capacities:

? 60GB 7200-rpm Ultra ATA/133 with 8MB disk cache ? 120GB 7200-rpm Ultra ATA/133

with 8MB disk cache

One bay filled with 60GB 7200-rpm Apple Drive Module (standard configurations)

Support for reading SMART data from Apple Drive Modules for early failure notification

Two open internal 3.5 bays(for internal IDE harddrives)

Two external 5.25 bay one filled with tray-loading 40x20x40x CDR/RW drive with

front-panel eject button

Optional Superdrive Dvd-R 4x,Dvd-rom 24x,CDR/RW 24x12x40x

Optional Ultra160 SCSI PCI card for connecting to external storage and backup

devices.

Optional Ultra ATA 133 RAID card (supports RAID 0,1,01 )

Audio:

Built-in speaker

Apple speaker minijack for connection to Apple Pro Speakers

Optional Apple Pro Speakers

Headphone/line out minijack

Support for external third-party FireWire and USB digital audio peripherals

such as microphones, speakers, and MIDI devices

</strong><hr></blockquote>

not sure where they got the info from but I sure wouldn't mind if it was true

Later

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Blizaine ]</p>
  • Reply 343 of 688
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    although my opinion adds to all the other wortless opinos here ithink i shuld express it.

It appears to be a very early prototype. It looks very rough. For a machine thats coming out in a few weeks possibly shipping then at least partially or even in september...it looks like this thing is not ready for prodcution.

It does indeed look cool and unfinished...maybe this is apples case for a power based mac for next year or g5 of some sort. but thats if u trust whats inside

Also lets remember that apple thought of a flat screen iMac very early on and coudn't make one cause of price as a result the cube was made. this is just to demonstrate the time apple spends on designing and releasing a product

All i hope is that there is in fact DDR ram and a very powerful fsb because i'm buying the next revision of the powermac and i want something good

AS FOR THE POST ABOVE

dual across i doubt it..would be nice and a 1.6 ghz g4? do those exist?

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: O and A ]</p>
  • Reply 345 of 688
    animaniacanimaniac Posts: 122member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blizaine:

<strong>Sorry if this has already been posted... I'm trying to keep up witht this thread, but it is getting huge!

anyway... the guys over at <a href="http://www.applexnews.com"; target="_blank">www.applexnews.com</a> posted the following as far as the specs of the new systems go....

not sure where they got the info from but I sure wouldn't mind if it was true

Later

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Blizaine ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's way too good to be true...
  • Reply 346 of 688
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Those specs are completely ridiculous. The person who fabricated the specs obviously thinks the ATI R250 is faster than a GeForce4 Ti 4200. False. 4 IEEE 1394b ports? Oh please. 1.6 GHz, in our dreams. AGP 8x is only backward compatible down to 4x. Sigh, so many mistakes... There don't exist any 60 GB IDE HDDs with 8 MB of cache.

And whatever else I haven't bothered to point out.
  • Reply 347 of 688
    i must disagree with those of you of the opinion that inventory plays no role in a powermac delay. its not likely to be the only reason though.

1. macworld is for releasing consumer products only, i think its a safe bet that apple wants too separate the "pro" line from the consumer line more. look back over the last few pro-product releases QS, Xserve and now Shake, all released on their own.

2. production lead time, this is important when you are preparing to release a high demand item. it creates a small buffer for chip production and other lag areas, if any.

3. 3rd party goodies, hypothetically lets say the high end model is supposed to ship with the ATI 9700. its not ready yet, you got to wait or leave your big spenders high and dry.

4. big fat inventory sitting around doing squat, except costing you money for every day it sits there. what do you do, release the new model and kill whatever chance you have to sucker a few people who want to save a few hundred semolians, or do you try and move a few weeks of the stuff before you cut your loses. hmmm. what would you do. not what do you want them to do. high margins or not, dead weight still needs to be cut off or you sink.

now of course there might other reasons for a "delay" but i think the four i listed are good enough for our purposes. alone, no one thing makes the argument, all together its a logical process.
  • Reply 348 of 688
    Just an FYI, those "specs" were floating around the rumor forums over a month ago and it turned out to be bogus. It includes some items from the Xserve spec sheet that do not apply. Move along.
  • Reply 349 of 688
    [quote]Originally posted by Da sinister:

<strong>i must disagree with those of you of the opinion that inventory plays no role in a powermac delay. its not likely to be the only reason though.

1. macworld is for releasing consumer products only, i think its a safe bet that apple wants too separate the "pro" line from the consumer line more. look back over the last few pro-product releases QS, Xserve and now Shake, all released on their own.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think u might have made a mistake i could be wrong some one here might be ableto point it out .

Original Quicksilver was released at MWNY

Also i'm not quite sure but i think iBook was upgraded recently at a non macworld event.
  • Reply 350 of 688
    "The folks over at MacRumors broke the story of prototype pictures of the new PowerMac enclosure and motherboard, very similar to several snapshots which MOSR has had access to for several weeks under embargo from the source."

- MOSR

• Reply 351 of 688
    Paging Dorsal Moki... Get your butt in here and tell us what you think of these developments!
  • Reply 352 of 688
    HAHAHAH is that embargo an MOSR claim?

u can rarely put anny creedence to what MOSR has to say
  • Reply 353 of 688
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    ...bagging on MOSR and thinking you don't sound like a broken record...

• Reply 354 of 688
    Yup, MOSR says things like that whenever they get scooped by someone else.. which is quite a bit. Though at the time of this posting they have the numbers to host the picture of the case. Got to give them that.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>
  • Reply 354 of 688
    about that big old heat sink, has anyone seen it. or are we talking about the .pdf that someone slapped together. if we have a pic of it someplace then post for scrutiny, otherwise its easily a typo or bad data. the size of a 7lb. heatsink would kill air flow for certain, better to drop a fan on the chip. i think we should move on.
  • Reply 356 of 688
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    i think that's the million dollar question.

if pdf = true

WHY A BIG OLE HEATSINK?

surprise CPU anyone?
  • Reply 357 of 688
    im sure the current Quik Silver came out just after MWSF. the dual 1Ghz. machines were definatly released then. my guess is that were seeing the implementation of some new policey of sorts. honestly it does not matter to me where the release takes place as long as it happens. better to get it in august than january.
  • Reply 358 of 688
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So this isn't fake?

FireWire 2/Gigawire?
  • Reply 359 of 688
    Umm if it ain't fake then why does MOSR still have them up and why are they available throughout this board? Usually Apple legal is far more throrough and quicker.

Then again faking this is pretty hard
  • Reply 360 of 688
    mabey you should double check the board, not much here, wait till an admin comes along to cull whats left. also apple can only ask you to take the pics down using lots of harsh legal language, if some one wants to ignore apple more power to em.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Da sinister ]</p>