FCC lost their balls?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After watching the airing of South Park's "Bigger, Longer and Uncut" I have to wonder if the FCC really has much say anymore.

A little googling led me to this supposed reply from the FCC regarding this same issue.

Quote:

Several days later, I received a reply from Sharon Jenkins at the FCC?s Information Access and Privacy Office. Ms. Jenkins attempted to explain the FCC?s role in enforcing broadcast standards; but, in effect, she essentially said the broadcast of odious programming was largely out of the agency?s control.

She wrote, ?In light of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, the FCC?s authority to regulate the content of television programs is extremely limited. In fact, federal law specifically states that the FCC shall not engage in censorship.?

Is this the relaxing of standards in the US regarding language? In light of the supposed shift towards conservative values and mindsets, such a giant shift towards free speech seems almost out of place.

Do you feel the US is relaxing its moral rules and guidelines as of late?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Yes, I do think that standards have become increasingly relaxed. I also think this is because of the shift toward conservatism. The type of conservatism that is gaining ground truly has more to do with economics than social issues. The older, social, christian-type conservatives are just along for the ride. However, many of these "new conservatives" feel that a backlash toward all the liberal "politally correct" mumbo-jumbo is in order. They embrace shows like South Park, which not only throws P.C. garbage out the window, but also quite literally makes fun of environmentalists, anti-smokers, multiculturalists and the like. We all seem to forget that it was Joe Liberman and Tipper Gore smashing hip-hop CDs with sledge hammers back in the 90's. While some conservatives have gone along with the "Parental Advisory" hogwash, it was primarily liberal policy. Remember Clinton's V-Chip? It was supposed to mandate parental controls on every television in the US, but it really just drove up the price (the typical market reaction to regulation) and no one really knows how to program the stupid thing anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    that movie is twisted
  • Reply 3 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Naw I don't think so. Someone here linked to the NPR interview with the writer for Triumph the Comedic Insult Dog (or whatever) and he was talking about the usual negotiations about how lewd a rubber puppet dog could be. Seems status quo to me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

Yes, I do think that standards have become increasingly relaxed. I also think this is because of the shift toward conservatism. The type of conservatism that is gaining ground truly has more to do with economics than social issues. The older, social, christian-type conservatives are just along for the ride. However, many of these "new conservatives" feel that a backlash toward all the liberal "politally correct" mumbo-jumbo is in order. They embrace shows like South Park, which not only throws P.C. garbage out the window, but also quite literally makes fun of environmentalists, anti-smokers, multiculturalists and the like. We all seem to forget that it was Joe Liberman and Tipper Gore smashing hip-hop CDs with sledge hammers back in the 90's. While some conservatives have gone along with the "Parental Advisory" hogwash, it was primarily liberal policy. Remember Clinton's V-Chip? It was supposed to mandate parental controls on every television in the US, but it really just drove up the price (the typical market reaction to regulation) and no one really knows how to program the stupid thing anyway.

I would suggest that these "loosening standards" are actually more of a by-product of a few things:

1) the rise to prominence of cable television/subscription services. Think Sex in the City and The Sopranos, which can do anything they damned well want on the air. And they're winning awards. If regular networks want to compete, they're going to have to loosen up on S&P.

2) The advent of the television ratings system, which, frankly, gives major networks no real reason not to show full frontal nudity if they want to, since they'd have warned you it was coming with that little badge.

3) S&P are not requirements placed on the networks. They really exist so that networks' advertising revenues are protected from writers who'd like to push the boundaries of acceptable television. UPN doesn't have one. I don't think the WB does, either. Over time, look for more networks to drop them.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

We all seem to forget that it was Joe Liberman and Tipper Gore smashing hip-hop CDs with sledge hammers back in the 90's.

Really?