Beat Super Mario Brothers III in 11min flat!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I hope this hasn't been posted before and i hope this belongs in GD.

A friend of mine forwarded me this url. Its a video of a someone passing SMB3 in 11 minutes flat.

I found it hard to believe that it was actually a person playing the game, except for the fact that he doesn't get the third star to get 5 extra lives. that seems human.

Its an interesting video nevertheless.

http://students.washington.edu/edpham/SMB.htm

(that link leads to another clickable link for the download (17.6megs))

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Ugh. Windows Media
  • Reply 2 of 26
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Ugh. Windows Media

I know i know, but VLC plays it without any problems.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Yeah, I just realized that... I'm on a fresh install of Panther (sans WMP), and VLC automatically opened it right up. It made me happy again
  • Reply 4 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    actually... if he got the 3rd star it would have taken longer...

this HAS to be a computer...
  • Reply 5 of 26
    One other thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is that the player crossed the three mini-level bridge in the second part of World 8 without getting sucked into one of the levels. Sure, it's possible to get by them without the hand catching you, but that's one extra stroke of "luck" for this player that seems too unlikely.

If it is a person, I'm betting on savestates. It's gotta be a combination of lots and LOTS of savestates.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    dunno. i knew some kids growing up who were obsessed by nintendo and their games. they could pull stuff like this.

hell, at 11 min. to completion, it's not like he couldn't have gone through it all a few times.

there were very human moves in there, IMO. impressive, although not sure what good it's going to do you.

most gals aren't too impressed when you're bragging about how fast you are compared to all the other guys.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    1. That was one of the coolest things I've ever seen (sadly enough)

2. Made me remember how awesome a game that is and was
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

most gals aren't too impressed when you're bragging about how fast you are compared to all the other guys.

Indeed.

FWIW, I read on another forum that someone realized it was actually several videos spliced together. I ran it through Rosetta and it automagcally split into 37 segments.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    BUSTED

• Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

maybe so, but think how good he is with his fingers, i'm sure that would impress some gals

Quote:

I ran it through Rosetta and it automagcally split into 37 segments.

What is rosetta?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    I used to love that game! But how old is this video? If there are people still out there perfecting thier game...OMG.

~tommy
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

automagcally

Oh man I have not heard that word since I worked at an IT departement at some school.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

I know i know, but VLC plays it without any problems.

I have Panther and have no clue what VLC is. When I clicked on the link, it looked like Oriental computer language--something like fowtran--
  • Reply 15 of 26
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Then use MPlayer...
  • Reply 16 of 26
    SMB3 is/was/will always be a GREAT game....classic platformer goodness.

as for the video's authenticity, I've seen it a few times, and certainly there were parts that were very very very difficult to believe he didn't use a speed/low grav cheat, but I have seen some crazy video game feats before. I would have liked to have seen a split screen movie, with a camera on the guys controller and a camera on the game, like in the Tetris finals video.

Super mario world, that was my game...although I never got 100%...I got like 94% or something like that. I did once beat it in about 30 minutes though, dunno how that would rank up in a competition of japanese super gamers, but I was pleased with it.

SNES is in my opinion the best console ever.

so many awesome games.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by meilleure ami

I have Panther and have no clue what VLC is. When I clicked on the link, it looked like Oriental computer language--something like fowtran--

The text showed up in VLC, or the browser?

What browser are you using, because in Camino, i know that clicking links that should be downloaded doesn't always work. Camino often tries to open them as text, and it does look a bit like "oriental computer language"

If it did open as text in the browser, right click the link and save it to disk then open with vlc (you can find vlc on versiontracker.com).
  • Reply 18 of 26
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    That's nothing compared to this...

http://homepage.mac.com/ssfreitas/Mario.avi

• Reply 19 of 26
    Don't really care too much about the legitimacy, because this is damn cool.

Aaaaaanyway. . . The 6502 wasn't too fast, especially with all the interrupts flying all over the place (as there are in SMB3). I wonder if this would even be possible on an actual nintendo. Often times, the video gets shaky in games with intense graphics.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Wow, the Force is strong with this nintendo player!!