virtual PC 6.1 need help (urgent)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hello every1

i presume there have already been some topics about VPC but i used the search and didnt find a solution to my problem

hres the situation, in school i have to learn access, databaseprogram which uses SQL language

problem is i dont have a PC, so i bought virtual PC 6.1 legaly for 175 euros (big hole in my wallet now)

i open the box, 1 cd-rom and 1 manual, i insert the cd-rom, only bout 40 meg big so i had a funny feeling about it

i drag the vpc applications into my application folder, start it up to install it, but here the problem starts, i dont know what i have to do

i have no previous version of VPC on my computer and i do not have a copy of any windows version

i can choose install from virtual PC CD or an OS pack (i cant choose that cause when i:

-click it it asks me to insert a MS VPC for mac 6 install disc or a VPC OS pack, the only thing i have is the cd-rom of VPC 6.1 which i just bought

-create pc manualy if i do that and configurate it it installs a 10 meg application (when i start that up a DOS window is displayed and it says OS not found

-duplicate an existing pc

i dont know what i have to do, i already consulted the manual and the help on MS site, i didnt find a clear explanation, the thing i really dont get it that the VPC cd rom i bought has only 40 meg on it, so i dont think thats its possible that there is installation pack for an OS on there

if anyone knows what to do exactly plz post it here, got finals coming up in a week and i have to be able to study it

thx in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    You probably purchased the standalone VPC installer without Windows. You can try taking your copy back and exchanging it for a copy that includes Windows 2000/XP or you can purchase Windows separately. Notice here the different "flavors" of Virtual PC.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    oh boy, that means coughed all that money up for something that lets me install "my own copy of windows", which i dont have, ah man

well guess its my own fault, shoulda checked
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skully25

hello every1

i presume there have already been some topics about VPC but i used the search and didnt find a solution to my problem

hres the situation, in school i have to learn access, databaseprogram which uses SQL language

problem is i dont have a PC, so i bought virtual PC 6.1 legaly for 175 euros (big hole in my wallet now)

i open the box, 1 cd-rom and 1 manual, i insert the cd-rom, only bout 40 meg big so i had a funny feeling about it

i drag the vpc applications into my application folder, start it up to install it, but here the problem starts, i dont know what i have to do

i have no previous version of VPC on my computer and i do not have a copy of any windows version

i can choose install from virtual PC CD or an OS pack (i cant choose that cause when i:

-click it it asks me to insert a MS VPC for mac 6 install disc or a VPC OS pack, the only thing i have is the cd-rom of VPC 6.1 which i just bought

-create pc manualy if i do that and configurate it it installs a 10 meg application (when i start that up a DOS window is displayed and it says OS not found

-duplicate an existing pc

i dont know what i have to do, i already consulted the manual and the help on MS site, i didnt find a clear explanation, the thing i really dont get it that the VPC cd rom i bought has only 40 meg on it, so i dont think thats its possible that there is installation pack for an OS on there

if anyone knows what to do exactly plz post it here, got finals coming up in a week and i have to be able to study it

thx in advance

The problem is all in your head. Just keep the VPC6.1 install disk and finish your installation. If that doesn't work, then complain.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

The problem is all in your head. Just keep the VPC6.1 install disk and finish your installation. If that doesn't work, then complain.

if you read my post, youll see that i already tried to install diffrent things, i thought i succeeded but my computer told me otherwiese

so i really dont know what to

btw, im not complaining, i am asking for help thank you very much

on the other hand, i now realised i bought the standalone version, now i have to get a copy of windows XP, ill see how i can do that later
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skully25

on the other hand, i now realised i bought the standalone version, now i have to get a copy of windows XP, ill see how i can do that later

The general consensus is that Win2k is the way to go with VPC. Performance wise at least. You have stability and not much of eye-candy to kill perfrormance. Unless you have absolutely to use XP, I would suggest you to stick to Win2k.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually if performance is key you should go with Win98, not 2k.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

The general consensus is that Win2k is the way to go with VPC. Performance wise at least. You have stability and not much of eye-candy to kill perfrormance. Unless you have absolutely to use XP, I would suggest you to stick to Win2k.

IMO Windows 98 is the way to go unless you need the features of Win2000. I find it much better to use than Windows 2000.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Strange. I have no personally used Win98 vs. Win2k, I simply trasfer what several people reported in Apple's support discussions about VPC.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

My experience suggests otherwise. Win98 was a dog on VPC. W2k is almost useable. And this was on the same hardware. I'd go with W2k personally.