Tis the season to spend money

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
That time of year where those of us in the western world have been conditioned to go and spend money to prove to our families and friends that we like them has arrived again. At minimum, I have two siblings, two parents and one girlfriend that will be mad at me if I don't get them 'something nice' (actually, neither parent is likely to get mad, but that doesn't mean I can cross them off my list). I also have about ten friends that I've been getting gifts for the last couple of years. If I stop now they'll probably wonder what they did.

I do actually like the holidays, I do like gift giving (it's great when you find something that you know is just right for someone), and I don't mind spending money (it's only money after all, and I'm not going to spend what I don't have)...but the problem is, I have no idea what to buy anyone. At all.

Anybody want to trade gift suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Our family has had a pollyanna system for ten years or so. So I get one gift for the one I chose. Of course I still get gifts for my Mom and some close friends. Other buddies get a toke, shot and a beer...

Barnes & Noble will be giving us employees 40% discounts and their other owned store Game Stop 30%...so I'll probably be getting more shit for ME than anyone else.

Hey, 'tis the season of greeds and desires...fa la la.

• Reply 2 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I give very little gifts. Whenever I do, I try to make them personal in one way or another.. like this:

1) give something the other person does not know to exist

2) give something you know the person would like but considers just a bit too expensive for value to actually buy

3) give something you made

4) give something that relates to the person's hobbies - with most hobbies this is difficult unless you also share that hobby or have listened carefully him telling you about it

5) give something rare and unique you found (not necessarily costly; the searching is the difficult part)

6) give something that he could use but does not realize it

7) put unusual attention to the packaging or to the way you deliver the gift

Preferably mix and match more of these in one gift.

Last christmas, I gave my father a very small but good flashlight. He didn't know that kind of lights exist, but there was a distinct need for light, because he's currently living in a place that has blackouts and poor street lighting. I handmade (wove?) a kind of lanyard for the light. Combined, these make 3/7 on my criteria, which is pretty good.

This christmas, I plan on giving my mother a rarish book, a collection of short detective stories written in my hometown university paper a century ago. It was recently edited to a book by the current university librarian and something like thousand copies are out. I spotted this on the newspaper culture pages, and figured it'll make a good gift because it is unique, she likes detective stories and (I hope) has missed the article about this book.

I'd very much like to hear what the rest of you guys are giving or have given before.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

That time of year where those of us in the western world have been conditioned to go and spend money to prove to our families and friends that we like them has arrived again. At minimum, I have two siblings, two parents and one girlfriend that will be mad at me if I don't get them 'something nice' (actually, neither parent is likely to get mad, but that doesn't mean I can cross them off my list). I also have about ten friends that I've been getting gifts for the last couple of years. If I stop now they'll probably wonder what they did.

I do actually like the holidays, I do like gift giving (it's great when you find something that you know is just right for someone), and I don't mind spending money (it's only money after all, and I'm not going to spend what I don't have)...but the problem is, I have no idea what to buy anyone. At all.

Anybody want to trade gift suggestions?

you do sound sort of grumpy about it though : p
  • Reply 4 of 7
    That collection of short stories sounds perfect...I always try to get something with a personal touch for family members and close friends, but sometimes its difficult to hit on the right thing. Probably the best gift idea I've had in recent years was a framed photo I took (at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum) of the first monkey to be sent into space by NASA. It was for a friend who is kind of bit obsessed with both monkeys and space, and to this day sits on top of her TV. On the other hand, I got my dad a scarf one year, literally five minutes before the store I was in was due to close on Christmas eve...I thought it was going to be a lame gift but couldn't think of or find anything else, and he loves it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

you do sound sort of grumpy about it though

Not intentionally...must be something to do with it being the Monday after a long weekend
  • Reply 6 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    My family is so huge we have to draw names. Lucky for me they just decided to do all of our kids and since I have none I only have 4 people to buy for (mom, grandma, fiancee, mother-in-law-to-be).
  • Reply 7 of 7
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Move so far away that it would cost a fortune to send the gifts in mail

for years I have promised myself one gift for xmas. It's nearly always been some computer stuff, and like in June .. for the xmas before.

hey.. i'm not giving hints on what you'll might get for xmas gifts out here.