Panther: Annoyances

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Other Safari things:

1) I can't click on a downloaded item in the download window to reveal it in the Finder

Cool, get to flame myself for not RTFM.

Dumbass.

The little magnifying glass will reveal the downloaded item in the Finder.
  • Reply 82 of 96
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

[B]On your last gripe:

Command-H hides apps.

B]

Hmm, perhaps there are others, but Photoshop has control-command-H for hide. And there are other third party apps that don't have a command key at all for it.

At least all of Apple's apps have it done properly.
  • Reply 83 of 96
    iSync does not synch and file vault is really file eraser!
  • Reply 84 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Control-Click on the running System Preferences icon when you have a chance. What good is that when it's not running? Answer that and you get a prize.

Oh, and it uses sooo many resources while it's loaded...

Thats neat I never knew that, but yea it makes no sense now that it closes. It wasn't really about resources just an anal retentive thing I'm not using you so you shouldn't be running, silly I know.
  • Reply 85 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by åsen

After an erase & install on a 1GHz 17" PB, I wanted to check out the new Preview.

I opened up a suitable pdf (the Columbia Accident Report 248 pages, 10MB low-res version) and scrolled through. I wasn't expecting the scrolling to be Stevenote-fast, but I found it to be, well, a bit sluggish. Once I'd scrolled through a couple of times, it appeared to speed up a little. Is this as good as it gets?

Suggestion: Open the 'Process Viewer' first and sort on the column '% CPU'. Then, retry your Preview experiment. See if there's a large % CPU for 'fix_prebinding' initially.

I've had a very annoying 'fix_prebinding' sluggishness for months using Jaguar -- currently 10.2.8. Today I tried freeware called Maintain1. Helped my Mac with Jaguar!
  • Reply 86 of 96
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    I got another one, apps take for ever to force quit. for some reason Interface builder took 2 min to force quit. War craft 3 is still trying as i speak, and its been a minute. Any one else see this?\
  • Reply 87 of 96
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by myahmac

I got another one, apps take for ever to force quit. for some reason Interface builder took 2 min to force quit. War craft 3 is still trying as i speak, and its been a minute. Any one else see this?\

Haven't noticed any delays in force quitting. Quitting in general seems to take longer for some apps.
  • Reply 88 of 96
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Anyone else been having strange icon problems? Yesterday at one point my Home icon in the Finder showed up as the Stickies icon and then later I had MPEG icons look all messed up and an HTML file display itself as the iPod (!) icon. Logging out brought everything back to normal, but I wonder why this happened.

Brings me back to the good old days of System 7 onwards and having to rebuild the desktop to fix corrupted icons. Ahh...memories...
  • Reply 89 of 96
    A nice little bug in the appearance changing.

The front two windows are finder windows. Notice the aqua widgets on the mouseover?

I switched my theme to graphite for a while the switched it back to aqua. The finder doesn't seem to recognize it, but when you mouse over the widgets, they reflect the change to aqua. Strange. Other applications don't seem to have this problem.
  • Reply 90 of 96
    on my machine at home whenever I download something in safari or get a new icon on my desktop they show up in the bottom spot of the first icon column on the dekstop no matter where other icons are. And they just pile up ontop of eachother. This just started happening out of nowhere \
  • Reply 91 of 96
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    anyone mention yet how you have to set your default web browser and mail applications through the preferences of Mail and Safari?

i mean, okay, without internet explorer, and netscape officially dead thanks to aol and microsoft, the only game in town is either safari, OR a more geeky mozilla/opera/icab install. so i guess apple CAN make the case that "well, if you're using one of 'those' browsers, then you should be smart enough to find where we've hidden the web global preferences now."

bu squirreling the mail global prefs inside mail is just downright annoying.
  • Reply 92 of 96
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Finder:

Failed network actions causing the Finder be force quitted.

This is STILL happening? This is one of my biggest complaints about the OS X finder, how it craps all over itself when something doesn't go well.

Hi I'm OS X, I'm here to answer a few questions.

Q: Can't find a server address?

A: Crap all over self

Q: Unplug some hardware without ejecting?

Q: Can't find software registration server because ethernet cable is unplugged?

God, I can't believe this isn't fixed. In these regards, windows does far less crapping.
  • Reply 93 of 96
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

This is STILL happening? This is one of my biggest complaints about the OS X finder, how it craps all over itself when something doesn't go well.

Hi I'm OS X, I'm here to answer a few questions.

Q: Can't find a server address?

Q: Unplug some hardware without ejecting?

Q: Can't find software registration server because ethernet cable is unplugged?

God, I can't believe this isn't fixed. In these regards, windows does far less crapping.

• Reply 94 of 96
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I've found a problem that is highly annoying. I use an Apple Pro keyboard attached to my laptop when I have it on my home desk, and since I've upgraded to Panther, the volume keys cease to function on the keyboard. The volume keys on the laptops keyboard still function, however.
  • Reply 95 of 96
    I have to agree on this so-called "handy" eject button next to ejectables like firewire disks and mind you disks that are in a RAID. Just who's brainchild idea was it to putthe eject button on the right hand side... there should be an option to turn this feature either on or off or someone should have though to put it a little less accesible or at least on the right hand side since people typically don't grab windows by the far left...

there's my 2cents of sense for what its worth
  • Reply 96 of 96
    The most annoying bug for me, personally, is the freaking SAVE window bug. Suppose I'm in Photoshop and I want to save myimage.psd I click SAVE and navigate to where I want to save. But if there are documents in the folder I want to save my photoshop image and I accidentally *click* on one of them, my file inherits the name, extension and everything. So if I click on anotherimage.pdf, that's what my photoshop file's name becomes.

Very VERY annoying!!!