Anybody else wish they had a FP or Dal iMac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm sort of wishing I had one of those right now. I'm not sure why, but in retrospect, they were pretty cool. I guess now it'd be a novelty, so it would be cool to have them. At the time, I was like "what the hell is SJ thinking?" but now, I'd trade my Indigo for one in a heartbeat. Anyone else?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    What IS an FP or a Dal iMac?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Flower Power and Blue Dalmation iMacs. Unveiled at the 2001 Tokyo Expo, if I remember correctly.

People either loved them or immediately freaked out and went into cardiac arrest.

And yes, I wouldn't mind having one either, to be honest. I'd take a nice Flower Power model for a living room/guest surfing station/iTunes jukebox! I kinda hated them then, but looking back...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

People either loved them or immediately freaked out and went into cardiac arrest.

I was somewhere in between. Back then, I would have taken one for free, but now, I'd actually pay for one (if I had the cash). Why is that?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I think both the Dalmation and Flower Power failed back then because it was towards the end of the gumdrop iMac cycle. It was getting a bit long in the tooth and few shared Jobs' excitement. I forget, but Jobs went on about how difficult it was to fuse these patterns onto the outer shell.

Many were waiting for a 17" iMac but instead he introduced these funky designs.

They'll probably become collectors items down the road as I'm guessing not too many were bought. Personally my favourite is still the Snow iMac. Nicer proportions than the eMac.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Yeah, it was some sort of "injection molding" thing that supposedly took "18 months to perfect" or something like that.

I remember everyone flipping out and basically screaming "18 MONTHS?! Are you shittin' me?!? Hey, puddinghead...why don't you quit screwing around with goofy patterns that no one asked for, and give us what we really want: a 17" G4 iMac, for crying out loud! 18 months to come up with this tacky crap?!?"

The eMac followed a year later...

• Reply 6 of 16
    I've got a Dalmation iMac as a second machine at work and I'm going to try to blag it when it gets a bit older. I love it's looks.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The cube had injection molding. There was a funky technology behind the FP and BD iMacs, but I forget what it was.

The FP looked like ass then and looks like ass now.

Blue Dalmation on the other hand looks pretty cool. Pity (as satchmo pointed out) the G3 iMac was getting so old by then.

Barto
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

I'm sort of wishing I had one of those right now. I'm not sure why, but in retrospect, they were pretty cool. I guess now it'd be a novelty, so it would be cool to have them. At the time, I was like "what the hell is SJ thinking?" but now, I'd trade my Indigo for one in a heartbeat. Anyone else?

I got my wife the FlowerPower (back then she was just my fiancee)at the same time I got myself the cube.. she now uses cube, I use flat panel Imac, and the flowerpower is our music and print server.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto The cube had injection molding. There was a funky technology behind the FP and BD iMacs, but I forget what it was.

I thought it was that. Check...it's very close. I remember the word "injection" being used, I'm sure.

In any case, whatever the hell it was they took 18 months working on and I remember that kinda irked quite a few people.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

I was somewhere in between. Back then, I would have taken one for free, but now, I'd actually pay for one (if I had the cash). Why is that?

I guess it just shows how ahead of the curve Apple is.

I didn't like them, and I hated the original iBooks, and the pink (etc.) iMacs. I almost threw up when I saw the iBook. There was so much speculation and rumor about this great new thing, and then for it to look like looking like a frickin orange Barbie purse with the handle and all. :/

I like a unique design, like the current iMac, the Cube, the G5 case. I guess I just don't like whimsical in my computers. Maybe it threatens my fragile manhood.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    This is the same thing that happened (is happening) with the Cube. When it came out, no one liked it, save a handful of people. Now a few years down the road a lot of people are being pretty vocal about how cool it would be to see the return of the cube. Now we're back at it with the FP and Dal iMacs. Crazy, ain't it?

There is really one word that puts this whole situation into a nutshell: Newton. 'Nuff said.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Newton!

As I mentioned earlier, blagging the Blue Dalmation from work is on my to-do list. My last bit of schwag was an eMate, fully working bar the battery being dud.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    No, I definitely don't wish I had one.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I still don't like the weird iMacs. My favorites were Lime, Tangerine, Sage, Graphite, and the original Bondi one. I really didn't like the patterns - a solid color is much better.

However, sometimes I do wish I had a key lime iBook. Those were somewhat unpopular when they came out, as I recall, but they're worth a lot now. And I've always thought they're cool
  • Reply 15 of 16
    On a somewhat related - and joyous - note, guess who gets his tangerine iMac DV back in three weeks?

The friend it went to (with the condition that I get it back when she upgrades to something else) did just that and bought an iBook (no, not that friend...another one, although she is a friend of the other one I speak about here).

Confused now?

Anyway, friend A is going to Indiana to see friend B while they're on Christmas break, and will be bringing my precious orange jellybean back home to its rightful, proud original owner: Yours Truly.

Don't know what I'm going to do with it (small apartment). I'll just be happy to have it sitting there, looking all cool. Install Panther, drop in a $79 AirPort Card and let it be a guest surfing station and a living room iTunes station?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Anyway, friend A is going to Indiana to see friend B while they're on Christmas break, and will be bringing my precious orange jellybean back home to its rightful, proud original owner: Yours Truly.

You've got a vicious love triangle happening there...no, not your friends, but your 12" PB, your tangerine iMac, and um...Ms. Vieira.