Flu Shot To get it or not to get it???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What are your thoughts about the Flu Shot?

This story is interesting...

Quote:

Inside the little house on Olive Street, the score is 3-1.

The flu is clearly winning. Mom has it, and so do the two toddlers. So far, dad is the last man standing. That dad would be Chris Meyer, the only member of the Denver family who didn't get a flu shot this year.

So the only person who did not get the flu (so far anyway) is the one who did not have a flu shot.

Makes one ask some questions..

Denver Post Link

\ So what do you all think?

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

What are your thoughts about the Flu Shot?

This story is interesting...

So the only person who did not get the flu (so far anyway) is the one who did not have a flu shot.

Makes one ask some questions..

Denver Post Link

\ So what do you all think?

Fellows [/B]

I heard it got so bad they closed schools there because they didn;t have enough students. i've gotten the flu shot several times and I seem to get a touch of it after each time. But I never got the full blown flu. But I've seen it where people who have slight symtpoms get a serious case after they're given the shot.

Not sure that's a ringing endorsement of it, but it's better than anything else we've got...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    There is a whole cottage industry in this issue.

Both sides for and against flu shots are blowing noses at each other..

From my perspective,

Get shots..

If you are a parent with lots of little children around you. Children have a habit of bringing all sorts of nasty bugs home.

Same goes, if you are working in a highly confined area such as an centrally heated office or your a miner.

Or if your old or frail.

On the other hand, don't worry about getting the shots if your day to day contact with others is minimal .

Or own a Mac..

As we all know..Macs ( & their owners ) generally don't get viruses ...8)

Gosh..there could be a PhD Topic in this...

Which computer OS is most likely to give you the flu..?

Just my two cents worth Fellows...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    I work in a school in Australia and, by the nature of the job, am in contact with a lot of kids ... not in an "alleged" Michael Jackson way.

However, this year, I never got really sick. I just kept myself warm, ate well and tried to avoid stressing my body too much. The flu really tore through the school down here. It affected many kids, but thankfully, they stayed home.

For the record, I didn't get the flu shot and never have. Hopefully, I never will either.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    i got it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I got one this year (about a month ago), but I've had mild flu symptoms for the last couple of days (could have been something to do with Too Much Fun over the Thanksgiving weekend though).

Apparently each years flu shot is designed to combat the three major strains of flu that were circulating in the southern hemisphere during the winter there, but they are not always the most common strains found when winter hits the northern hemisphere. This is why its only effective about 70% of the time (less if they pick a wrong strain).
  • Reply 6 of 7
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I got it yesterday. I've been chasing my tail and licking my own crotch every since then. I'm still trying to decide if this is a good or a bad thing.

Nick
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    kneelbeforezod is right, and this year they bonked.

The flu shot covers two major strains, but a third one is the one laying people out flat. My wife got hit *hard* by it two weeks ago, somehow I escaped, but I'm still getting the shot to cover the other bases.

Anyone who is already showing symptoms will almost certainly get sick from a flu shot. (That's why they tell you not to get one when you're showing symptoms, duh... people never listen.) Also, even a healthy person will usually show *some* symptoms for a couple of days after a flu shot.

Doesn't anyone know how immunization *works*, ferchrissakes? This is *normal*. But nooooooooo, everyone expects a magic pill that does exactly what they want regardless of whether or not they read directions.